Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have usually done most of my riding and other training in the mid to late afternoon. Sometimes it gets pushed back until after dinner.

Lately (due to a change in my day to day) I have not been feeling it at my normal training time of day. Actually I have been rationalizing not doing my workouts at that time.

My hours of operation used to be about 9am to midnight. Now they are about 7am to 10pm. I noticed this morning that at about one hour after I woke, up had a cup of coffe and a light breakfast, I feel amazing. If I was not headed to the lake I would really go do my weekly three hour ride right now.

Is it smart to take advantage of this change? Or should I head down to the liqour store for a pint of HTFU and keep training in the afternoon?

· I'm just watching a dream
138 Posts
They sell HTFU at the liqour store? I ride when I can. Most of the time it's in the afternoon today it was at 7am. I wasn't feeling it the whole ride today, never got my pace up and never really felt good. I do much better in my afternoon rides.

If you have the option to ride when you feel good, do it. If the option is ride when you feel bad or don't ride at all.... HTFU and ride.

· Registered
409 Posts
Exactly what they said.

I usually go out mid to late afternoon simply because it is usually a little cooler temperature wise and I can take advantage of eating dinner when I get back to the house. Mornings are nice, but if you are a night owl it can be pretty difficult to muster the will to go out on 4 hours sleep.

· Registered
339 Posts
ericm979,
I'm in the same boat as well, though I like to be awake for about an hour before I actually hit the road, so I'm not on the road until 5:30 or 6:00am. I try to be in bed early, but if the clock hits 12:00am, I just skip the ride. It's not worth it to ride on little sleep and then be tuckered out the rest of the day. Fridays are generally interval days, so I do my ride in the afternoon/evening. Saturdays I'm on the road at 7am for a group ride, and Sundays are off (unless I skip Saturday).

· Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
f1oored said:
They sell HTFU at the liqour store? I ride when I can. Most of the time it's in the afternoon today it was at 7am. I wasn't feeling it the whole ride today, never got my pace up and never really felt good. I do much better in my afternoon rides.

If you have the option to ride when you feel good, do it. If the option is ride when you feel bad or don't ride at all.... HTFU and ride.

Hell yeah they do.

I went in a year or so ago for a vo2 & LT test. At the end I threw up. Couple months before that I went to the liquor store with some buddies and got a half gallon of Tito's vodka. At the end I threw up.

The proof is in the throwing up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.