Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This topic may have been done to death, but perhaps someone out there can help me. I have a mystery frame on my hands that I'm trying to identify. I'm hoping the serial number(s) will be a good clue for someone. The bike is Italian, with chrome headlugs and (Campagnolo) dropouts. The following are stamped onto the frame:

R725538 - Seat tube
MFN8978 - underside of BB, somewhat haphazardly
22.5 - 2x on underside of BB: left and right; once on steerer
7 - once on underside of BB: center front; once on steerer

Does the fact that the serial number begins with an "R" tell us anything? It looks like it might be an Atala, but most Atala serial numbers Ive seen begin with a two digit year followed by a a letter. Lugs on the headtube have triangle shaped cutouts. Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was a decal from a bike shop, but on a couple of coats of paint, so unfortunately that doesnt tell us anything. What other information would you like about the frame. Sorry, my keyboard is not cooperating so punctuation is a luxury at this point.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
the window head lug and seatstay cluster do not scream atala to me.... often, at least later, they had atala "engraved" or stamped into the seatstay head and underside of the bb shell. looks like a lower range frame based on the seat cluster and bb shell. is 22.5 the size? if so, did Italian makers/atala size in inches back in the day?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The sticker was for a bike shop that re-built and re-painted the bike. As far as 22.5, I believe that is the size. I have seen a couple of Atala brochures and sales fliers on Ebay and Classic Rendezvous from the late 60's/ early 70's that list available frame sizes in inches. Only the lower end Atala frames are available in 22 1/2", though, which doesn't jive with the chrome lugs and campy dropouts. According to the Atala brochures the lower end frames have painted lugs and tips.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.