Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This month I have suffered my second DVT.... and though I knew what to do to prevent it...

I am regrouping and reeveluating my routines... the short story is the "Perfect storm" for a DVT...
excellent health (heart rate 50-60 bmp, blood preasure 110/60) ,
a great day on the bike and although drank a lot , still dehydrated
celebrated with a couple of brews ( more dehydration)
jamed to misic dvds while playing guitar (sitting down)

If this sounds like you .... YOU are headed for a DVT.....

Please do a google search on "athlete DVT" and read up....

its all there! :cryin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,838 Posts
pr0230 said:
This month I have suffered my second DVT.... and though I knew what to do to prevent it...

I am regrouping and reeveluating my routines... the short story is the "Perfect storm" for a DVT...
excellent health (heart rate 50-60 bmp, blood preasure 110/60) ,
a great day on the bike and although drank a lot , still dehydrated
celebrated with a couple of brews ( more dehydration)
jamed to misic dvds while playing guitar (sitting down)

If this sounds like you .... YOU are headed for a DVT.....

Please do a google search on "athlete DVT" and read up....

its all there! :cryin:
hmmm, good thing my blood pressure is about 140/90.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,301 Posts
Anyone else in your family had DVT's? There are some familial blood conditions that predispose to DVT.

Athletes sure can develop DVT. More common predisposing factors include injury, significant dehydration (as you stated), and prolonged immobolization (e.g. long car/bus/plane rides after endurance competition). And for those downplaying risks of doping- there was a report in the journal Neurology in 2002 of a cyclist who developed a serious clot in his head due to epo & growth hormone use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,838 Posts
Oldteen said:
Anyone else in your family had DVT's? There are some familial blood conditions that predispose to DVT.

Athletes sure can develop DVT. More common predisposing factors include injury, significant dehydration (as you stated), and prolonged immobolization (e.g. long car/bus/plane rides after endurance competition). And for those downplaying risks of doping- there was a report in the journal Neurology in 2002 of a cyclist who developed a serious clot in his head due to epo & growth hormone use.
Sure that wasn't 2004? :idea:


Alberto Contador experienced a cerebral hemorrhage and brain surgery in 2004.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't be fooled!

bas said:
hmmm, good thing my blood pressure is about 140/90.

You may think you are safe but your NOT... I typically show BP numbers the same as you ... 140/90.... However AFTER a 4-5 hr ride , typical on a Sat or sunday.. My BP FALLS to 110/60 at night....

Please get yourself a BP monitor for after ride monitoring....

At this point Id rather have marginal high BP than clot.... When I NOW see low BP I drink lots of water and maybe eat something salty ( my girl friend) .... lol....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No relationships...

Oldteen said:
Anyone else in your family had DVT's? There are some familial blood conditions that predispose to DVT.

Athletes sure can develop DVT. More common predisposing factors include injury, significant dehydration (as you stated), and prolonged immobolization (e.g. long car/bus/plane rides after endurance competition). And for those downplaying risks of doping- there was a report in the journal Neurology in 2002 of a cyclist who developed a serious clot in his head due to epo & growth hormone use.
No one else in my family clots... BUT no one else rides like I do , and gets dehydrated, drinks wine... etc....
BTW - I have changed my lifestyle... I no longer drink alchol bevs....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
DVT, Me Too...

I had a pulmonary embolish from a DVT I got from a 6 hour flight 2 weeks ago. I have always made a point to take an aspirin before a flight to move around, etc.. I also have a low resting pulse and BP. Had done a hard 40K TT 2 days before flight, and may have still had some dehydration. I actually had clots go into my lungs and could not breath. Am on blood thinners now (standard of care) for 6 months and cannot race due to hemorage risk if crash. Slowly starting to get improvement in lung capacity which took a big hit.

Safety precautions are as follows:

1. Keep hydrated- not just water, but gatoraide or such; stay of caffeine and do not drink alcohol on flight

2. Risk is greater after hard race or training

3. Wear compression socks or stockings- these force blood back up your legs so you do not pool blood and form clots

Per other posts, this is very real. I never thought this would happen to me. Note that I am lucky. This is fatal 30% of time and 85% of all DVT victims are endurance athletes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to DVT club!

texracer said:
I had a pulmonary embolish from a DVT I got from a 6 hour flight 2 weeks ago. I have always made a point to take an aspirin before a flight to move around, etc.. I also have a low resting pulse and BP. Had done a hard 40K TT 2 days before flight, and may have still had some dehydration. I actually had clots go into my lungs and could not breath. Am on blood thinners now (standard of care) for 6 months and cannot race due to hemorage risk if crash. Slowly starting to get improvement in lung capacity which took a big hit.

Safety precautions are as follows:

1. Keep hydrated- not just water, but gatoraide or such; stay of caffeine and do not drink alcohol on flight

2. Risk is greater after hard race or training

3. Wear compression socks or stockings- these force blood back up your legs so you do not pool blood and form clots

Per other posts, this is very real. I never thought this would happen to me. Note that I am lucky. This is fatal 30% of time and 85% of all DVT victims are endurance athletes.
As you already know , aspirin & plavix are for the arterial side (red) .... NOT the vein side (blue)... thinning the blood with fish oil, aspirin, wine does nothing for OUR type of clot...
I know you know... Just wrote that cause other readers need to know....

try this DVT forum :

http://www.robprince.net/dvt/forum.asp?action=start
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
I thought this was interesting.... and it comes from a very useful site that takes a look at what you can do about preventing DVT which isn't just to drink waterhttp://www.yourhealthbase.com/DVT.htm

Is it of value to drink large amounts of water?

There appears to be no evidence that it is. In fact a study in Japan by Hamada et al, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that subjects who drank one cup of water per hour during a nine- hour flight experienced increased blood viscosity. Interestingly the study found that those who drank an electrolyte fluid (similar to a good quality sports drink) in the same manner, had no increase in blood viscosity and no increase in urinary output. Hamada used an electrolyte drink containing 110 mg (per 8 oz cup) of sodium and 30 mg of potassium (JAMA, February 20, 2002, pp. 844-45).

Advice is also commonly given to avoid caffeinated beverages because of their diuretic effect. Despite the fact that research has shown that coffee and other caffeinated beverages do not increase dehydration. (Armstrong: International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism June 2002)
 

·
Scary Teddy Bear
Joined
·
14,801 Posts
Sorry

pr0230 said:
No one else in my family clots... BUT no one else rides like I do , and gets dehydrated, drinks wine... etc....
BTW - I have changed my lifestyle... I no longer drink alchol bevs....

but experiencing your second DVT is not merely due to riding a lot, drinking wine, etc. Changing your lifestyle is fine, but you really need a detailed and thorough hematology workup. You need to find out if you are Factor V Leiden positive, etc. I see patients daily with DVT's, and if you are young, and have now had two, there is something more going on than simply your lifestyle. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I cant agree with you more...

physasst said:
but experiencing your second DVT is not merely due to riding a lot, drinking wine, etc. Changing your lifestyle is fine, but you really need a detailed and thorough hematology workup. You need to find out if you are Factor V Leiden positive, etc. I see patients daily with DVT's, and if you are young, and have now had two, there is something more going on than simply your lifestyle. :rolleyes:
Frankly I have seen many Dr's... 2 gps, 1 cardiologist, 2 hemotologists.... NONE have offered a genetic, or any other reason for my affliction.... I am 50 years old , and I have never had any problems, until I started cycling... I am not blaming cycling, however pushing hard and riding hard seems to be a culpret... Why How I dont know...

I also suffer from GOUT .... and not that that causes clots, but I feel the inflamation (vascular & joint) is reeking havic on my system.... Until recently I was controling the Gout with diet.... But now I am on colchacine... Interestingly , my vascular system or swelling in both legs was dramatically reduced... My legs never looked so healthy...

Yes there is something going on.... and Most DVT people on the DVT forum don't have explanations... Os so most write....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Prevention and Your Risk

pr0230,

You are correct, none of the healthy artery supplements and medication prevent DVT. I did all the right stuff too. This will not protect. Your risk directly correlates to your level of condition. For those of you who get a physical or complete blood test, the higher your RBC (red blood cell) count and HCT (hematocrit) in relation to upper range standard, the thicker your blood is the more at-risk you are. This is great for your physical performance, as you can carry more oxygen, but recognize the risk also.
 

·
Embrace your inner Fred
Joined
·
359 Posts
Oh jeez Im skeered :sad: Ride and die. I gathered there is no fool proof way to avoid this? Genetics and other factors determine if it will happen to you. Is it a question of When and not IF it will happen to us? Damnit.. Risks with everything in life.
 

·
Call me a Fred
Joined
·
17,025 Posts
No matter how you live your life, you are going to die. You might as well do things that you enjoy while you are alive.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top