Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard some sick sh*t today bud, driving to the ER for my night of on call, and heard a live version of Crazy Train, must be newer, cause the guitar didn't sound like Zakk, but might have been. Anyway, through the whole intro riff he's playing pinch harmonics....sounded friggin awesome, hadn't thought of playing it that way, but I bought my wife a whole day-spa for tomorrow and I think I might crank up the amp while she's gone....

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
maybe Vinnie

then again Randi was known to pinch a few as well. Sorry though Zakk still got my vote with the pinch, slide combo riff of "No More Tears"

use a heavy pick or a Peso. (Billy Gibbons)

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
atpjunkie said:
then again Randi was known to pinch a few as well. Sorry though Zakk still got my vote with the pinch, slide combo riff of "No More Tears"

I used to do pinches all the time in the middle of or at the end of a solo, I just hadn't heard someone do it through that first riff, sounded off the hook..

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
physasst said:
I used to do pinches all the time in the middle of or at the end of a solo, I just hadn't heard someone do it through that first riff, sounded off the hook..
ok...this is probably a simple question for you guys, but I assume you know how Neil Young's Heart of Gold sounds--pretty simple stuff.

Intro starts Em to D to Em--hammer on the first 3 strings of Em at the end to all that little flourish.

then into the song... Em-C -D-G-Em

and so on until you get to the part where he sings "...and I'm gettin Old..." (C to G) but then he plays 4 more notes as a finishing flourish and then back to Em for the next verse--I can figure out how to replicate them as single notes but they just don't sound the same as when he plays them--he kind of slides between them from what I remember. Am I missing some kind of technique here to play that kind of thing? I can't seem to make the notes ring out without picking each one and then it kind of sounds too staccatoish. Maybe I'm hearing a pedal steel fill there and not the acoustic at all?

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
atpjunkie said:

I was indifferent to Zakk until that song. What an amazing FAT sound! I think I read somewhere that he doubles and tripples everything in the studio and that they put plexiglass in front of the controls on his amp so he doesn't F everything up.

That sound and Sykes' is what I always shot for.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
another

KenB said:
I was indifferent to Zakk until that song. What an amazing FAT sound! I think I read somewhere that he doubles and tripples everything in the studio and that they put plexiglass in front of the controls on his amp so he doesn't F everything up.

That sound and Sykes' is what I always shot for.

question,

solid state or tubes???

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
physasst said:
question,

solid state or tubes???
For me, both!

Marshall JCM8000 stack with the line out into an EQ'd PA head and cabs to round it out and thicken it up. And, of course, it was miked on top of that.

I was loud as hell. :D

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,258 Posts
Bocephus - Heart of Gold

I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for with Heart of Gold, but try this as a good way to do those four notes:

With your left hand in the classic C Chord position,
1. Strum the fourth (D) and third (G) strings simultaneously.
2. Take your middle finger off of the fourth string and strum the fourth and third strings simultaneously.
3. Put your middle finger back on the fourth string (thus giving yourself a classic C chord again) and strum the fifth (A) and fourth strings simultaneously.
4. Make a G chord and strum the fifth and fourth strings simultaneously.

Here's another, fancier way of doing the four notes.

With your index finger on the third string-seventh fret and your middle finger on the second string-eighth fret:
1. Strum the third and second strings and quickly HAMMER your ring finger onto the third string-ninth fret. When you do this, keep your index finger firmly planted on that third string-seventh fret.
2. Take your ring finger off the third string so that you are once again in the position you were in before the hammer-on and strum those two strings again.
3. Put your ring finger back on the third string-ninth fret. Strum the two strings.
4. Take your ring finger off the third string again, and strum the two strings one last time.

Of course, doing this second variation means you have to move your fretting hand from one end of the country to the other. But it IS very country cool.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts