Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do 99% of my rides with an Edge 500 and I'm perfectly happy with it. When I'm out of town, I like to use my iPhone to map new routes. It would be great if there were a way to mount the iPhone directly to the Edge mount instead of pulling it out of my pocket or getting a bulky bike case. Does anyone make such a case or can I buy the attachment to an Edge separately and epoxy it to a Lifeproof case?

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
The Garmin mount holds the device in place with two tiny tabs - these frequently break off even with the relatively light Garmin 500. I would not trust your iPhone to that mount design.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I do 99% of my rides with an Edge 500 and I'm perfectly happy with it. When I'm out of town, I like to use my iPhone to map new routes. It would be great if there were a way to mount the iPhone directly to the Edge mount instead of pulling it out of my pocket or getting a bulky bike case. Does anyone make such a case or can I buy the attachment to an Edge separately and epoxy it to a Lifeproof case?
Why not just create the route before hand with say ridewithgps then upload the map to your garmin?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Garmin mount holds the device in place with two tiny tabs - these frequently break off even with the relatively light Garmin 500. I would not trust your iPhone to that mount design.
Its an old 4, I'd be willing to give it a go. I've never had a problem with the 500 tabs and an 810 is nearly as heavy as a phone, so I think it should be OK. The problem is getting the tabs on a phone case.

Why not just create the route before hand with say ridewithgps then upload the map to your garmin?
I prefer having live color maps that aren't available on the 500. I realize an 800 would do that but since I already own a device that has a GPS and full color touch screen I fail to see the reason to purchase an 800.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Perhaps you could buy an extra Garmin mount, and epoxy the whole thing to the case.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.