Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ATTACK LAUNCHED BY THREE BIG GUNS: Danilo Di Luca, Paolo Bettini and Damiano Cunegoe trying to ruin team-CSC lazy day at the front of the peloton.

How did it look? Was it a good attempt or half hearted?

They need to join forces to make Basso crack on one of these stages. Basso will be left riding all alone.

Was it Cunego who promised to attack all the way to the end?

·
tofurkey hunting
4,734 Posts
if i remember correctly, it didn't last long. csc got it under control pretty quickly. no more than 20 seconds or so. if someone remembers more, please correct me. the coverage was spotty at that point, what with a break some 7:30 up the road. basso was never left with any less than two teammates around him. per the bobby j thread...he was 2nd wheel (on t.v.) for a good bit today. so he is alive and well, but still out of the wind ;) ;)

but i'm with you. hopefully these guys will realize that they'd better think like compadres if they have any hope of not getting dropped repeatedly for the rest of the giro.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ampastoral said:
if i remember correctly, it didn't last long. csc got it under control pretty quickly. no more than 20 seconds or so. if someone remembers more, please correct me. the coverage was spotty at that point, what with a break some 7:30 up the road. basso was never left with any less than two teammates around him. per the bobby j thread...he was 2nd wheel (on t.v.) for a good bit today. so he is alive and well, but still out of the wind ;) ;)

but i'm with you. hopefully these guys will realize that they'd better think like compadres if they have any hope of not getting dropped repeatedly for the rest of the giro.

Of course, the big 2 (basso/ulrich) couldn't drop Armstrong when it counted.. and said he was too strong.. if they can't drop basso - these guys will find out basso is too strong this year.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,734 Posts
yeah, but i'm sure we'd all love to see them try, rather than watching pace at the front of the group...then woops, nobody's left. it's fun, but not yelling at the tv fun....

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
bas said:
How did it look? Was it a good attempt or half hearted?
It was a very hard attack by Di Luca which Bettini immediately went with and cooperated. Several riders came up including Cunego and Tiralongo (who then went on the front to try to keep the pace on). I don't think Basso even reacted, he just sat behind his teammates and let them bring it back after a few minutes. Of note, Danielson missed this split and was shown chasing to catch back up.

No doubt Di Luca scored major points with the tifosi. Savoldelli missed a good oppurtunity to do likewise by attacking on the dangerous descent.

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
Savoldelli

Dwayne Barry said:
No doubt Di Luca scored major points with the tifosi. Savoldelli missed a good oppurtunity to do likewise by attacking on the dangerous descent.
After looking at the profile, I was kind of expecting Savoldelli to at least give it a shot on the descent as well. Then again, maybe he's simply resigned himself to podium and no more (the likely scenario).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.