Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one would you guys is more durable? Also, with carbon wheels, I think I may actually be afraid to change a tire for fear of damaging the rim....we all know that sometimes these tires can be a real SOB to change and sometimes some good force is required to pop the bead in place. I would hate to be on a long ride and get out and get a flat and be afraid to change the tube...hehhe...any thoughts on this concern?

Also, other than minor weight difference and rim depth, any other differences between these wheels?

Lastly, I have never had any type of 'deep' wheel and 46mm is getting up there. What happens when you are riding in a cross wind or you get a strong gust - which I get where i live at times. I am looking for an everyday training and long ride wheelset.

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a set of Attacks, and Pro Race 2's are pretty easy to mount without levers as long as you seat one side and then the other. So I'm not really concerned about changing a flat on the road if need be. Also I ride on the streets of Baghdad *ahem* Montreal, Canada (ironically the best city in North America for bike paths, but the worst for road conditions) and they haven't lost their true yet. The only annoyance for me is brake pulse on the the front wheel, but that seems relatively common on carbon wheels.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have both and would say the attacks re a great value for what they can be had. I actually like them more than the assaults. The newer ones have been improved and are basically the same build as the Assaults but with a 32 mm profile and a bit lighter. I was really surprised as I wasn't sure what to expect. Coming off my other tubulars ( DV46T ) I was really surprised with the attacks vs assaults. Can't go wrong either way but I do favor the attacks currently. Durability is one of the reasons I ride Reynolds over any other brand. I use my carbon clinchers for training.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...are those the Attacks on the bike? If so, it answers my question if some of the stickers on the Attacks can be taken off. I would like to take them all off except where it says 'Reynolds'....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not much difference, really. I run Assaults, and have been very pleased with the speed and durability. I also pulled the stickers (hate 'em). Reynolds makes that task very easy. Fingernail and about 10 minutes and voila, nude wheels.

I preferrred the Assaults to the Attacks, but my racing weight is 215. I imagine that rider weight has a lot to do with preference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.