Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been logging miles like crazy since I returned from Iraq in March, but for the past two weeks due to the operational tempo at work I haven't even touched my bike. My questions are these:
Is it smart to ride a century after 2+ weeks of no cycling? Is there an increased chance of injury due to "overworking" my well rested legs? Should I get out and do a few miles tomorrow to "awaken" my legs the day prior? Again, this is my first century, my longest ride to date is 60 miles. I'm just looking for some helpful advice. I appreciate ANY suggestions.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
You can't get any last minute training. You gots what you gots. The good thing is that if you built a good base over the last few months most of it will still be there after your short layoff. If you can be very strict about going REALLY easy, do a 30 minute ride to loosen the legs. But only if you can keep to a low heart rate- my max is 192 and I set a limit of 115 for this kind of ride. Better to spend the time making sure your bike is ready to go and packing up your gear so you can get out of the house early without rushing and not forget anything.

Fo the ride: #1 remember it is not a race. Start slow, warm up, take it easy. Keep it mellow. Eat something at all the stops. When someone passes you, let them go. If you are feeling good at mile 80, then it is time to start hammering, when the guys who went too hard at the beginning are pedalling squares or have quit.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Eat lots before the ride, eat more during the ride on the hour. Chocolate, cookies, dried fruit, coke, whatever energy food you can stuff in your pockets. Ride easy, dont expend energy unneccesarily, like not using a large gear when getting going from a stop, no sudden accelerations. This wastes energy, slow and steady is the best way.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
You can do it! Ride conservatively, break periodically, eat, drink, stretch while riding. It gets exponentially easier after the first 100 miler.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Back in my 30's, I did the Seattle to Portland one day version (200 miles) with a minimum of training. I had spent the previous six months underway on a submarine with a single two week period in San Diego to actually ride on the road. The rest of my training was on a lifecycle and concept II rower. I think the actual key was the rower, I had a strong midsection. Don't worry about it, find a nice group rolling along at 16-18 mph and meet some new people.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.