Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Frog Whisperer
41,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have it from a VERY RELIABLE source that for those of you who buy Bontrager tubes, make sure they are from Taiwan...NOT China...

There are quality control issues with the Chinese. (defects, pinholes etc)...

· Registered
642 Posts
Does it say on the box where they are manufactured?
All my LBS carries in Bontrager. I'd have to go out of my way to get something else.

I will say that last fall I got a flat, put in a Bontrager replacement tube, and while pumping it up it burst at the seam. At the time, I didn't carry a patch kit and had to walk about 5 miles in my bare feet. Who would expect 2 flats in one day? I do now.

· Frog Whisperer
41,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does I believe, otherwise my friend wouldn't have told me to choose one over the other...(he works for Trek)

· monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
It says on the box where they are manufactured. No need for super secret insider tips. There are three places in the world that make tubes, two are in Taiwan (CST and Kenda) and there is a facility in China. The Chinese tubes seem reliable enough, I've seen seams burst and pinholes on Chen Shing and Kenda tubes too. No need tor a post that the sky is falling.

· Frog Whisperer
41,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just passing information given to me by one of the guys handling this nightmare for Trek......a HUGE number of failures and warranty issues
take it or leave it

· Light AND Aero
23 Posts
Who would go to the trouble of filing a warranty on a tube?

· Registered
390 Posts
Yes, I bought 10 from an LBS and not one of them was any good. It sure was frustrating. I didn't notice were they were made though. I really liked the Giant brand I bought with the smooth valve stem but they stopped getting those.

· Domestic Drivin' E-Thug
1,060 Posts
tube defects

I had 11 flat tires over a two day period. 2 of these flats were front tire blowouts on descents. After carefully examining all the tubes, I noticed the defects... little pinholes, about 10 of them, all lines up in a row as if they had been run through a sewing machine. I marked them and pointed them out to my LBS who agreed that it looked like something was amiss.

In any case, I've been a crappy descender ever since. Front tire blowouts on 40mph descents do not inspire confidence. They were Specialized, pre-talc'd tubes btw. I'm since switched to another brand. Can't comment on Bontrager though.

· Registered
52 Posts
This is funny -- I just had two Bontrager tube issues in the past two weeks on tubes I just bought -- one was a pin-hole issue and the other was that the valve was to wide to fit into my rim hole. I got each replaced. So no worries for me, but interesting none the less. I don't know where the tubes were made however.

· Oh hai there
1,118 Posts
Rubber Lizard said:
It says on the box where they are manufactured. No need for super secret insider tips. There are three places in the world that make tubes, two are in Taiwan (CST and Kenda) and there is a facility in China. The Chinese tubes seem reliable enough, I've seen seams burst and pinholes on Chen Shing and Kenda tubes too. No need tor a post that the sky is falling.
Michelins were made in France up until recently when they built a factory in Thailand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.