Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Burning Fists of Love
6,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Coppi fans, what can you tell me about the medal below??????

Yes, I made a spelling error in the title, its Fausto.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
"Cesenatico is a port town of about 20000 people on the Adriatic coast of Italy. "

"Cesenatico is the hometown of the cookery writer Marcella Hazan, the soccer player Giorgio Ghezzi, and cyclist Marco Pantani (to whom a monument is dedicated here)"

I'm guessing the "G.C." stands for grupo cyclisma - a bike club? Probably a commemorative medal for some event or award.

·
Burning Fists of Love
6,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes

Creakyknees said:
"Cesenatico is a port town of about 20000 people on the Adriatic coast of Italy. "

"Cesenatico is the hometown of the cookery writer Marcella Hazan, the soccer player Giorgio Ghezzi, and cyclist Marco Pantani (to whom a monument is dedicated here)"

I'm guessing the "G.C." stands for grupo cyclisma - a bike club? Probably a commemorative medal for some event or award.
I recall that Coppi was not born there, perhaps a great victory? Odd, why him on that coin?

·
Cat 6 rider
3,090 Posts
ttug said:
I recall that Coppi was not born there, perhaps a great victory?
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but the coin does say "G.C. Fausto Coppi" (emphasis mine) if I'm reading it correctly. That would seem to indicate a G.C. win of some type. Odd that they didn't put a date.

·
Banned
2,231 Posts
California L33 said:
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but the coin does say "G.C. Fausto Coppi" (emphasis mine) if I'm reading it correctly. That would seem to indicate a G.C. win of some type. Odd that they didn't put a date.

I am pretty sure this is a finisher medal from the Novi Colli. It is one of the biggest GF's in Italy and is put on by the G.C. Fausto Coppi

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just started reading the book "The Death of Marco Pantani" and Fausto Coppi was the name of the riding club he was part of as a youth which sparked his interest in competitive cycling. They were based in Cesenatico.

·
What Would Google Do.
1,486 Posts
ttug said:
Yes, I made a spelling error in the title, its Fausto.
so annoying when that happens isnt it :)
they really should let us edit thread titles so this doesnt happen!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts