Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a new HRm/Computer and was considering these modlels.

1. Can the speed sensor be used on the rear wheel for my trainer?

2. I can get the 720 for $230, the 520 for $190. Do you feel the 720 is worth the extra dough?

3. Does the altitude function on the 720 only work when the unit is on the bike? ie, can I use the altitude while hiking?

5. What is difference with the 510/710 models? - they seem to be selling for less.

6. With the 720, does one have the ability to plot out an altitude profile along with heart rate changes. I thought it would be kind of cool to see where along the ride/climbs I started to redline.

Thanks!

·
Registered
602 Posts
my vote for the 720

I've had the 720 since jan 03 and love it. no problems. easy downloads.

1) no. I lose the signal if the sensor is two feet from the monitor.

2) definitely worth the extra dough. extra features and much easier to download.

3)altitude can be measured independently of speed (off the bike) but you have to start timing your hike.

4)there is no answer as there was no question

5)i dunno about the 710 other than there was an updated design of the face of the watch surrounding the screen

6)altitude plots alongside your speed and hr. gives good detail of your workout. You'll see exactly as you described (why you redlined)

THe downloads also show a mess more info

·
Registered
385 Posts
Wayne77 said:
Im looking for a new HRm/Computer and was considering these modlels.

2. I can get the 720 for $230, the 520 for $190. Do you feel the 720 is worth the extra dough?

3. Does the altitude function on the 720 only work when the unit is on the bike? ie, can I use the altitude while hiking?

5. What is difference with the 510/710 models? - they seem to be selling for less.

6. With the 720, does one have the ability to plot out an altitude profile along with heart rate changes. I thought it would be kind of cool to see where along the ride/climbs I started to redline.

Thanks!
1. Yes, but you have to open the sensor and adjust the dip switch to increase its range.

2. I don't know. I have the 720i w/ power. Haven't compared it to the 520.

3. You are supposed to be able to use it for other things. I've only used it on the bike. But the manual says the temp can be off it it is not on the bike mount, that might affect the altitute reading a bit.

4. [sic]

5. dunno

6. yes. most definetely. This is one of the Polar's strongest features. The software for plotting that kind of stuff is very good.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info

I'll probably go with the 720. thanks!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

I didn't know about the dip switch setting. I'll give it a try when I buy the 720. thanks!

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts

Yes, but you have to change the intensity of the sensor/transmitter. The Poalr sight tells you how to do this.

Yes, if the 520 is still like the 510 in that it can only store one ride file at a time, the 710/720 can store multiple files. Plus the software is better.

Yes, the altitude detector is in the watch.

see # 2 above

Yes you can auto graph cadence, speed, heartrate, power, altitude over distance (assuming you have the cadence & Powere sensors), or any functions that you have.

Len

·
Registered
40 Posts
The diff between the 710 and 720 is that the 710 needs the polar IR interface while the 720 can use the IR port of a computer (if you have one).

·
Registered
35 Posts
710 or 720

undertrained said:
The diff between the 710 and 720 is that the 710 needs the polar IR interface while the 720 can use the IR port of a computer (if you have one).
Yes, although most computers require the interface anyway.

The only significant difference is that the pause feature is 30min on the 720i and only 5min on the 710/710i. This is a problem only if the "belt" is away from the receiver for more than the time limit (ie. if your ride stops for coffee, take the receiver with you and there is no trouble). If you do end up having to "restart" your ride, the tripmeter does not reset, and the files can me easily merged later on using the Polar software.

It's not a big deal, so if you can save a significant amount, I would get the 710 or 710i. Otherwise get the 720i. Either model is much better than the 510/520, and definitely worth the extra money.

·
Registered
286 Posts
undertrained said:

Wrong! The 710 can download via the IR port on the computer too, I do it everyday with mine. The difference is that the 710 has a plastic face plate and the 720 has a Ti face plate.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yeah I run XP on my laptop. I use the IR port to download the data from the monitor. I assume you are using a built in IR port? If so, do you put the monitor on connect? Once I put the monitor up to the IR port I hear a tone and then an icon comes on in my tool bar and I'm able to transfer.

Try to update your software and maybe check the settings on your software to make sure it is set for the IR port. I'll check my computer settings and see how the IR port is set up. I'll bet you it's something simple that has you messed up.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah, that is correct.

The IRDA difference is between 710 and 710i or 720 and 720i. The little i means that it will support IRDA and a direct connection to your laptop. Without the little i, you either need their connection port or see the link that was just posted and hack away. The difference between the 710 and 720 or the 710i and 720i is just the faceplate, one is plastic the other is stainless steel.

Personally, I would go with nothing but the i version, just to be sure that it will work. One of these days I'll let the grip on my wallet slip and I'll end up with one.

·
Team Bovine Paceline
89 Posts
Advice

Go with one of the newer X20 models. The 510, as mentioned above, will reset your ride data if the chest transmitter is away from the unit for 5 minutes. If you are a ride leader and change others flats or take care of mechanicals you must detach the unit and take it with you when doing these repairs :-( , This obvious programming glitch was corrected with the 720 and 520 models but those who forked out the dough for the originals must adapt to the above work around. What do you expect for a 225.00 cycle computer? I notfied Polar of the defect and was told, "Thank you for the info would you like to send us an additional 225.00 and we will send you a new unit?" No thanks, I would like my unit to be reprogrammed to work properly.

John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts