Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I broke out my '03 Zurich today and it almost felt uncomfortable. I purchased it at my LBS last summer for a little under 2k, and put slightly over 700 miles on in during July, August, and a couple rides in September.

I'm about 5'8"-5'9", and the sizing is a 56cm. What else is everyone riding? I'll probably ride it for the rest of the month and see what happens. If not, I'll probably sell the frameset and keep everything else for a different frame. Anyone know how much to expect if I sell it? One more Q .. what's the weight of it w/ Ultegra?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
309 Posts
djwright said:
Well, I broke out my '03 Zurich today and it almost felt uncomfortable. I purchased it at my LBS last summer for a little under 2k, and put slightly over 700 miles on in during July, August, and a couple rides in September.

I'm about 5'8"-5'9", and the sizing is a 56cm. What else is everyone riding? I'll probably ride it for the rest of the month and see what happens. If not, I'll probably sell the frameset and keep everything else for a different frame. Anyone know how much to expect if I sell it? One more Q .. what's the weight of it w/ Ultegra?

Thanks,
Dave
I test rode one last year (I'm 5'8") and the bike shop guy put me on a 53cm. I was just goofing off in the parking lot in jeans, but it felt good at that size.

·
Registered
400 Posts
djwright said:

Thanks,
Dave
I have a 55cm, 2001 Zurich. Use it mainly as a second and/or winter bike but it rides great. Has a nice, stable feel to it on fast descents. I think the weight of the bike is around 20-21 lbs. But, I swapped out the Rolfs for some Ksyrium Elites and change the seatpost.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Same here, 55cm 2001 Zurich is my race bike. Nothing can kill it. I am 6 feet tall. Looks like the poster above may have a larger bike for his height, but we don't kow all of his measurements.

So poster, why does it feel uncomfortable?

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
Start slowly!

You should start slowly and buildup your time on the bike gradually. Your butt is
probably not used to sitting on the saddle, your neck and back are cramped from
the position, etc. etc. How did you feel the last time you rode it for long periods of
time last year? How is the bike uncomfortable? It's hard to give suggestions
other than the most standard ones unless you're more specific.

Another thing to note is that unless you have a really long torso, you should
check to see if your shop had sold you a bike that is too big for you. I am 5'10"
and fit great on a 53 Lemond. I have average proportions. Perhaps your lack
of riding is making you more sensitive to fit issues. Did the LBS give you a
thorough fit when you bought the bike?

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
Sounds like your bike is a little too big. I'm 5'9 and ride a 53-54cm bike.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Just depends

bsdc said:
Sounds like your bike is a little too big. I'm 5'9 and ride a 53-54cm bike.
I'm 5'10" and can easily ride a 57 or 58 in some models--proabably a 55 in a Lemon-d though. So many factors and fit preferences. Flexibility, core strength, wierd body part differences (think long arms, short legs).

Also Lemond doesn't make a 56, so maybe you have a 53 or 55? They measure center to center on the seat tube.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hard to tell

Not sure why the Zurich feels uncomfortable. One plausible cause mentioned above has to do with you being off the bike for awhile, especially if you have not done any stretching or low-back/ab work. What is your saddle to handlebar drop? I am 5'-9" and have a 84.5cm inseam and ride a 55.5cm frame measured center-to-center (equivalent to a 57cm center-to-top frame) with a 56.5cm toptube length and 73.5 head tube and seat tube angels. The bike fits me fine. To my knowledge, the Zurich does not come in a 56cm size frame. You either have a 55cm or a 57cm frame. Lemonds are measured center-to-center, so if you have a 57cm frame, then I can see that frame being perhaps too big for you. But, a 55cm frame should be in the range of acceptable fit for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
53cm

I'm 5'8" and ride a 53. I use it as central park/rain/winter bike. When I switch from my Merckx to the Lemond the Lemond feels more compact to me but its still comfortable and no other real issues other than the weight.

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
Don't look at the bike, look at you

It looks like you have not been on the bike since September. If it fit OK then it should fit OK now unless you have shrunk. Let your muscles stretch and get re-acquainted with riding before you make a rash decision to sell your frame for another size.

After a winter off, it will take several rides to feel comfortable on the bike no matter what other physical activity you did over the winter to stay in shape. Also, you didn't say exactly where your discomfort is. I was off the bike for just about all of December and quite a bit of January and the first few rides were not totally comfortable for me either. If your butt hurts, this is normal. If your back aches, then you need to work on your flexibility. If your shoulders or neck are uncomfortable, maybe the stem needs to be raised. All of these are normal on your first few rides after time off. 99% of the time, time in the saddle is the cure.

Also, has any equipment or clothing changed over the winter. Sometimes new shorts feel a little weird the first ride, new shoes sometimes change your position slightly, etc, etc, etc.

Sounds to me like you just want a new bike as you're more interested in selling the one you have than figuring out why it is uncomfortable. As PsyDoc's post illustrates, it's hard for us to say what fits without more detailed measurements and even then that's only a starting point as saddle height and stem/hb position contribute a lot to comfort and performance.

If I was you, I would check your saddle height and maybe flip your stem to the 'rise' position for the next few rides until your body can adapt to riding again. IMO if this truly is a fit issue, you need to sort out your position before you run off and waste money on another frame, and then find out the original one actually fit you.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
orange_julius said:
You should start slowly and buildup your time on the bike gradually. Your butt is
probably not used to sitting on the saddle, your neck and back are cramped from
the position, etc. etc. How did you feel the last time you rode it for long periods of
time last year? How is the bike uncomfortable? It's hard to give suggestions
other than the most standard ones unless you're more specific.

Another thing to note is that unless you have a really long torso, you should
check to see if your shop had sold you a bike that is too big for you. I am 5'10"
and fit great on a 53 Lemond. I have average proportions. Perhaps your lack
of riding is making you more sensitive to fit issues. Did the LBS give you a
thorough fit when you bought the bike?
True, I know my butt is not used to being in the saddle, but my neck and back did not feel cramped whatsoever. My longest ride last year was 50miles, and the only thing that bothered me was that I felt too 'outstreched' when on the hoods, drops, etc. I want to say that the LBS _did_ do a proper fitting, because they put me on a few different Lemond sizes, looked at my spin on a trainer, and made adjustments accordingly.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hrm

Spunout said:
Same here, 55cm 2001 Zurich is my race bike. Nothing can kill it. I am 6 feet tall. Looks like the poster above may have a larger bike for his height, but we don't kow all of his measurements.

So poster, why does it feel uncomfortable?
I feel too 'outstreched', meaning my elbows have little to no bend when I'm riding the hoods.

Getting my measurements now and I will post them below ..

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Measurements

PsyDoc said:
Not sure why the Zurich feels uncomfortable. One plausible cause mentioned above has to do with you being off the bike for awhile, especially if you have not done any stretching or low-back/ab work. What is your saddle to handlebar drop? I am 5'-9" and have a 84.5cm inseam and ride a 55.5cm frame measured center-to-center (equivalent to a 57cm center-to-top frame) with a 56.5cm toptube length and 73.5 head tube and seat tube angels. The bike fits me fine. To my knowledge, the Zurich does not come in a 56cm size frame. You either have a 55cm or a 57cm frame. Lemonds are measured center-to-center, so if you have a 57cm frame, then I can see that frame being perhaps too big for you. But, a 55cm frame should be in the range of acceptable fit for you.

I actually had the sizing wrong (oops) and it is in fact a 53cm, and not a 56cm like I previously stated. The measurements below were taken using the methods found on http://cherry.dcwi.com/cherry/info/fitting.html.

MEASUREMENTS

inseam ------------- 31"
thigh length ------ 14.5"
torso length ------ 28"
arm length -------- 28"
shoulder width -- 18-20"

Photos below aren't the greatest, but the best I could do taking them myself.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Road cycling is an athletic position. Even with your high bars, you have to have some strength. Don't give up, nothing wrong with the fit. A new bike will not feel any different to you.

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
Agree

Spunout said:
Road cycling is an athletic position. Even with your high bars, you have to have some strength. Don't give up, nothing wrong with the fit. A new bike will not feel any different to you.
Base on your pics and the realization that you have a 53cm, my opinion is that the frame fits fine, or at least that a 51 (or whatever the next smaller LeMond size is) will not help anything. Your arms are so straight because your back is so upright. As you get more back strength and flexibility (core strengthening), you will be able to get your head/shoulders further forward with more comfort and you will get more shock-absorbing bend in your elbows.

Other than looking at your stem height/length, your position looks OK as a starting point to me. Keep in mind that 700 miles last year may not enough to help your body adapt to the road cycling position. Sometimes it takes longer.

Nice bike - Now get out there and ride that thing....

·
Non non normal
10,097 Posts
I am lusting after that steelman bike of yours. How does the ride compare to a Zurich?

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2 cents

Several things about your fit... Go back to the shop and have them use a "goniometer" if they have one in order to verify your saddle height. The next thing i'm noticing is when you drop your head down a bit (most riders will begin to drop their head when they get tired) your shoulder blades protrude from your back (this is called scapulary role). This is a clear indication that you are not using enough of your abs and your lower back to hold you up over the bars. Try and remain focused on using your core muscles to hold you up. The last thing i'm noticing is your hand posture on the hoods. Do you ever get numb hands??? Get back on your bike and take your usual hand position on the hoods. Is your index knuckle turning white? Or is the skin between your thumb and index knuckle turning white? If it is you're cutting off circulation and increasing your likelihood for your hands to take a knap. Move your hands back about 5-10 mm or until the white disappears. The thing about LeMonds is they have a unique 'century' style geometry that intentionally places people fairly far behind the crank. This can make fitting somewhat of a challenge if you have limited hamstring/hipflexor flexibility and/or lack core/back strength. I would go back to the shop and pay the money to get a professional fit done... This should include pedal analysis as well. I'd tell you more but I only have a side shot to work with. Good luck with anything. Disclaimer: The information I just spat out is predicated on the Serotta fit method. Please do not take what I say for gospel as I totally understand that this method does not work for everyone. Let the flames fly and keep the rubber side down.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
teo3 is right...

flexibility and core strength. this affects far more than you might suppose.

more time on the bike, stretching, ab & lower back work daily.

this is what happens when we quit riding or become completely inactive over the winter months. even if active (gym, running, swimming, etc), cycling is very specific, and--assuming you weren't riding a trainer or rollers--you're going to have to suffer a bit to regain your comfort.

that is, unless there have been mitigating factors since september: chiropractic or other problems.

good luck.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
Cramped up over the bike?

djwright said:
True, I know my butt is not used to being in the saddle, but my neck and back did not feel cramped whatsoever. My longest ride last year was 50miles, and the only thing that bothered me was that I felt too 'outstreched' when on the hoods, drops, etc. I want to say that the LBS _did_ do a proper fitting, because they put me on a few different Lemond sizes, looked at my spin on a trainer, and made adjustments accordingly.
This is just a guestimate again, but: one thing that many riders do is to cramp up
over the bike, meaning that your back is not straight when you're riding the bike. Try
sitting up and straightening your back, and then reach down and slowly grab the
hood. I was diagnosed with this problem a while back, maybe you share the same
problem. Thanks to this, I then found out that my bike is in fact not too big, it is just
perfect ;-).

Look at old pictures of Sean Kelly, he really really crumples up over the bike,
and that is bad for your back. Of course, who am I to argue with the great
Sean Kelly?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts