Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a nice 'modern" Yamaha receiver to go with the stereo equipment in my TV room (good CD player, old Advent speakers, smart TV, blu-ray, and Dish DVR). The old Pioneer receiver (high-end one) will go into my office (replacing an old, low-end system), which connects with my desktop, and has a nice turntable on it. In the kitchen, we have a decent older Sony stereo from about 20 years ago.

The Yamaha receiver has bluetooth, but none of the older ones do. I would like to be able to play vinyl and here it on the other receivers. Is there any equipment that can give me DECENT sound over either bluetooth or wi-fi that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Amazon has a bunch of 'extended range' bluetooth transmitter/receivers, but many people complain that either the sound is bad, or the range sucks, or the pairing doesn't stick when turned off.

Anybody have any suggestions, or any idea what hooking my stereos up wirelessly will cost? FWIW, the distance between units is about 40' office-to-tv room, and maybe 145-20' office-to-kitchen, all on the same floor.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
probably not much se to you but i'd maybe try running a long cable from the pre outs to an input... but thats me (had 2 networked amps inthe house but they don't communicate to each other, as n you can't output over the network - sony with wifi/ethernet and yamaha with ethernet)

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
An audiophile would be shocked that you want to send music over Bluetooth .. ;)

But I still love vacuum tubes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27,471 Posts

You got that right! Vacuum tubes mellow out the sound. They amplify the analog wave shapes faithfully, no digitizing, no sampling, no decoding. It's all there just like the real thing.

So to a purist, cables only! Connect the low level turntable to one amplifier, then distribute line out to the line in on the amplifiers in the other rooms. That's how to do it. Keep it analog all the way. Run the cables up in the ceiling.

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
The real thing is not necessarily mellow.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
The real thing is not necessarily mellow.
Well its like John Coltrane vs Pink Floyd. Coltrane was recorded with vacuum tubes. Pink Floyd was definitely in the solid state era and beyond.

There's a compressor/limiter built with tubes back in the Fifties which is still being made and coveted by studios.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts

Yeah. I can tell the difference between a standard MP3 and a lossless music file. That's what happens when you have decent enough equipment that can reproduce those differences.

Bluetooth is no different. But for casual listening, I don't think it would matter that much.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Bluetooth is no different. But for casual listening, I don't think it would matter that much.
I agree.

And since no one else is really answering the OP's question, I'll add my own 2c that may not be helpful.

For casual listening, I like to stream youtube or other sources from my phone or laptop to my Marantz receiver using their Bluetooth adaptor.

Marantz US | RX101

It works pretty darn well although the microwave oven will interfere with the reception. I DO notice a difference (the highs get muddled) on some music so if I'm really feeling like focusing on the music I play CDs or plug my Ipod into the receiver.

I would look for something similar to what I have if your receiver(s) support it.

·
It's a Sledgehammer
547 Posts
I just bought a nice 'modern" Yamaha receiver to go with the stereo equipment in my TV room (good CD player, old Advent speakers, smart TV, blu-ray, and Dish DVR). The old Pioneer receiver (high-end one) will go into my office (replacing an old, low-end system), which connects with my desktop, and has a nice turntable on it. In the kitchen, we have a decent older Sony stereo from about 20 years ago.

The Yamaha receiver has bluetooth, but none of the older ones do. I would like to be able to play vinyl and here it on the other receivers. Is there any equipment that can give me DECENT sound over either bluetooth or wi-fi that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Amazon has a bunch of 'extended range' bluetooth transmitter/receivers, but many people complain that either the sound is bad, or the range sucks, or the pairing doesn't stick when turned off.

Anybody have any suggestions, or any idea what hooking my stereos up wirelessly will cost? FWIW, the distance between units is about 40' office-to-tv room, and maybe 145-20' office-to-kitchen, all on the same floor.
Check out Audiokarma.org and the "Digital sources" forum. Lots of ideas for exactly what you mention.
-Good luck!

·
25yr Houston-Austin MS150
212 Posts
If you want true, uncompressed audio wirelessly, the only technology that exists is called KLEER. Unfortunately, it was almost exclusively used for wireless headphones. You could hack an old transmitter/receiver system to work for you, you would just need to intercept the audio while it's still at line level, before going to the headphone speakers.

BUT, since you say your turntable is connected to a computer, there was a kind of a "Kleer sound card" made by Arcam. You would need to track down an rDAC-kw receiver for each external stereo to which you want to broadcast, and an rWave USB dongle transmitter for your computer (and, of course, whatever you use to connect the turntable's pre-amp to the computer, like a tape loop from the amp).

If I recall correctly, there is an upper limit--Kleer transmitters could be paired with 4 or 6 receivers.

rDAC-kw runs $479 at Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004M3UKL0/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all )
rWave dongle runs another $100, if you can find it (Overture Audio | Arcam rWave - USB Dongle for rCube and rDac - Detail Image )

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
once your ears hit 50 or 60 years old, stuff doesn't sound like it used too anyhow. I have a couple of Aukey BRC1 recievers, cheap and tolerable sound.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I've completely stopped listening to my rather sizeable vinyl collection. I just have Spotify on an iPad which connects via Bluetooth to whatever stereo I happen to be listening to. For the older stereos without Bluetooth I bought a $20 Logitech Bluetooth adapter that works like a champ.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Since the other stereo systems have receivers, you could also add a home FM transmitter to the Pioneer system. Then use that to send the signal all over the house via an unused FM channel.
I'm an FM tuner guy, and would put the quality of pure wideband uncompressed analog FM up against anything compressed and digital. You can buy these transmitters on Amazon and EBay.
BTW, this is our FM tuner site - Tuner Information Center - Vintage Stereo Tuners
Started this with another guy 15 years to evaluate and rank the quality of FM tuners.

·
すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
5,846 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Gotta smile at all the "analog is pure" folks.

You'd be hard pressed to find any musical artist that tours or performs and doesn't use digital primary and monitor consoles, as well as digital processing between consoles and speakers.

Seems if it's good enough for the likes of Steely Dan it's good enough for the common folks. Dunno though, maybe consumer grade isn't as good as the pro stuff.

·
25yr Houston-Austin MS150
212 Posts
Since the other stereo systems have receivers, you could also add a home FM transmitter to the Pioneer system. Then use that to send the signal all over the house via an unused FM channel.
I'm an FM tuner guy, and would put the quality of pure wideband uncompressed analog FM up against anything compressed and digital. You can buy these transmitters on Amazon and EBay.
BTW, this is our FM tuner site - Tuner Information Center - Vintage Stereo Tuners
Started this with another guy 15 years to evaluate and rank the quality of FM tuners.
But remember that even though FM is uncompressed, it's going to be cut off at both ends of the sound frequency spectrum (no sound below 30 Hz or above 15 kHz).

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

tl;dr. Doesn't seem to have anything to do with my question......

I DID try an analog transmitter system (from Radio Shack) about 6-7 years ago, but so much 60hz hum and switch interference from the transformer on the pole in the back yard as to make it useless. Returned it for a refund.

·
すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
5,846 Posts

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
tl;dr. Doesn't seem to have anything to do with my question......

I DID try an analog transmitter system (from Radio Shack) about 6-7 years ago, but so much 60hz hum and switch interference from the transformer on the pole in the back yard as to make it useless. Returned it for a refund.
Hard wiring is a closed system. Grounded properly it doesn't pick up random signals nearby. Bringing all the grounding wires together at one place is the key. Equipment picks up the power line 60HZ. If not grounded, it adds to the audio mix. Ground it, "short it out to ground," and you won't hear it. It won't be there. Shielded coaxial cable, all but one grounded only at one end. if there are more than one path to ground, you'll get "ground loops" and hear high frequency harmonics of the power line frequency. Digitalized audio signals, MPEG2, 4, whatever, don't pick up analog 60HZ from the power lines, so its never a problem, is it?

Nothing works better than hard wiring. It's cheap, low tech, and can be patched between FM tuner/receivers.

Those short distance wireless hook ups to speakers are probably really wide band and reproduce everything. But these wireless transmitters probably compress the signal to lower bit rates. The tonal qualities are the same, but third order harmonics that give presence and richness to the sound, are missing. Listeners slap on the headphones and get used to it. Then they go to a small concert of un-amplified acoustical instruments and go, "Wow!" This is real! No microphones, no fuzz boxes, echo delays, just pure analog sound waves, gently rising and falling like the waves of the sea, solidly planted in the physical world.

Went to a "festival" of experimental music in Bourges, France once. Ironically, all of it was electronic, no acoustical instruments except for the speakers strewn all over the place. But the Medieval court yard around it added a powerful presence no electronic device could come close to. Carnegie Hall in NY is also renown for its great acoustics. You can hear each instrument in a string quartet from the back row. There are some classical music concerts recorded on tape back in analog days that have never been equalled. Many are still available, on discs of course.

Just arguing for keeping it analog. If you're gonna play vinyl, that's what it was designed for.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.