Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Now that I am a grad student I have the whole month of August free and my wife has given the blessing to ride trans-north carolina, basically from the beach to the mountains. If you are interested in coming along let me know. I can copy the maps and send to you or look here: http://www.ncdot.org/transit/bicycle/maps/maps_highways.html i am riding the mountains to the sea. looking to do about 65-80 miles a day finish is under two weeks. the route is about 700 miles long. should be perfect weather. currently i'm in dc please just message me here or email at [email protected]edu .
brad

· On your left!
1,301 Posts
You will have a blast...

I did the Murphy to Mateo way back in 84 and again in 87. The mountain section was by far the most fun and memorable....

Once my son gets a few more years on him, I plan on doing that or maybe the BRP for a couple of weeks.

Be careful, keep a photo journal and hava a blast!!

· Registered
5,844 Posts
Some advice -- start in the mountains and head toward the coast. Your legs will be tired toward the end of the ride and you will appreciate the flat roads in the coastal plain. Unless, of course, there's a hurricane in August, but that could affect you anywhere in NC.

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and you finish in the ocean as well. i was thinking that it might be better to start at the coast. i have done a lot of touring but nothing over 400 miles so this will be my longest to date. any other helpful hints?

· Registered
5,844 Posts
More hints ... I've never done any loaded touring, but have participated in quite a few supported cross-state tours -- including Cycle NC. Too bad that your calendar apparently prevents you from riding in Cycle NC, which is around the first week of October. I have ridden portions of that several times and it's well run and fully supported.

If you haven't done any extended tours before, the best advice I can give is to pace yourself. Don't start out too fast or push too hard in the early days or you will pay for it down the road. Count on averaging several miles per hour slower than your usual pace, particularly if carrying loads. Don't worry about your average speeds.

Make sure you bike is properly operating and maintained before leaving, with good tubes and tires, gears properly adjusted, cables and chain in good condition, and seat adjusted right. Also make sure you carry some spare tubes, perhaps a tire, and basic tools.

Riding about 65-80 miles a day sounds like a good reasonable pace if you are in shape. Plan for shorter days in the mountains and longer days on flatter terrain. You might want to plan a rest day or two, particularly after several days of riding in the mountains. Make sure you drink a lot while riding, and include some electrolyte replacing fluids and/or salt tabs.

Don't get so caught up in riding a certain distance each day that you don't take time to "smell the flowers." Plan into your schedule some time to stop and see and appreciate some of the beautiful places you'll pass along the way. NC has some great places to visit. Make sure you eat at some of the local restaurants along the way, rather than just fast food joints and chains. NC has great barbecue, particularly in the eastern half of the state. The mountains are better for fried chicken, country vegetables, trout.

I'd tried to take a look at the route so I could suggest some places to see along the way, but the DOT link you provided doesn't show a detailed map of the route. Apparently it is just an order form for maps. Once you receive the maps, post a list of the towns/cities that you pass through along the way and I'll give you some ideas. I've lived in this area for about 40 years ...

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tarwheel, i'm an nc native as well i've just been living abroad for about three and half years now. recently we moved back from germany. i have done a lot of touring self-supported so i know what to expect except for any hints about the route itself. the maps from the dot are very similar to the ones adventure cycling has for the transam, et al. i have them and they came free. the climbs should be rewarding in the mtns but not as tough as a alps i don't think. the brpkway is the only area i'm trully concerned for riding it is long and all uphill or downhill it seems. here is a link to a tour journal i wrote about germany: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journal/page/?o=lt&page_id=30024&v=2w

· Registered
5,844 Posts
If you are riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway, keep in mind that there are very few places to get food, water or other provisions along it. For long stretches, you have to take side roads down to nearby towns to restock. There is a lodge on the Parkway at Mt. Pisgah south of Asheville and some campgrounds, but that's about it for many miles. You also will need lights/taillights if riding on the parkway due to the tunnels. The park service requires lights, and that's a good thing. The parkway is a narrow road with narrow shoulders, so be prepared for traffic.

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
precisely why i am looking to avoid the blue ridge and there are just as scenic roads out there with more amenities. climbing off and onto the pkwy would not be fun to hvae to get water or anything else as it is usally hella steep to get up to the pkwy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.