Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My first ride report!

Went on a nice ride with my husband this morning. He picked the route, which ended up being really very nice. We saw probably 20-25 other cyclists on the road this morning.

The ride began at 8 AM, and we quickly crossed from our neighborhood to the expensive golf course community across the main road. Beautiful houses, green courses. Pretty decent hills (for us, anyway).

I haven't mastered my picture taking skills while riding, so unfortunately you'll just have to imagine the shaded winding hills and valleys lined by million dollar homes and golf greens. Beginning August 8th I get to have this as part of my commute every day!

We reached Jollyville Rd which is a nice 4 lane + center lane + bike lanes road. This is where we saw the majority of other cyclists. This area is mostly businesses and restaurants on one side of the road, and apartments/condos/homes on the other. I'm very pleased with the bike lanes here. No cars parked in them! Manuel's Mexican restaurant had a mariachi band playing by the time we passed by on the way back.

We made a 3 mile detour to stop off at work. My husband works in this complex already, and my team will be moving there next week. I got to check out my future cube. I can see the bike rack from my desk! YAY!

Back on the road, we didn't have much farther to go to reach our destination - The Arboretum. Nothing says Austin like Amy's Ice cream and a herd of cows carved out of stone! The grounds were beautiful and it was still cool enough to enjoy. We took a 30 minute break there. They also had clean public restrooms, which is good to know! So now that I could get off the bike for a bit, here are some pics:

There is a scenic outlook point that looks over the hills of west Austin, and loop 360:

Lots of fountains and greenery:

Almost back home:

Hubby ignoring me with the camera:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Congrats...this is a beautiful ride! I commute from Cedar Park 3 times a week through the Arboretum down some on 360. I actually cross through the intersection in your second to last photo.

Enjoy the commute...and perhaps I will see you out there sometime.

Monte

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The heat wasn't bad on Sunday, really. It was 76 degrees as we began at 8 AM. We were back home by 10:30 AM as the heat started rising into the 90's. Winds were calm all morning. Humidity steadily dropped from 87% to 58% as the morning progressed.

We both commute in the afternoon Texas heat 4-5 times a week, so we are pretty acclimated to it. It seems to me that once the temp outside is above 97-ish is when I begin to feel it. Over 100 and I can definately feel it. I just hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. It's supposed to be 102 today.

I am looking forward to "fall" though. I had my first night time ride on Friday, and could not believe how much easier one particular hill I take daily was without the sun trying to kill me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.