Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Austro Daimler "Vent Noir" with no water bottle mounts. Without having to buy a camelback or seatpost/handle bar water bottle mounts what are my options. Does someone make waterbottle mounts for downtube? LBS said they could drill Downtube/Seat tube and install mounts but I can't bring myself to do that.

Before

After - I swapped seat post; seat and brake levers (The OEM Dura ace parts are neatly tucked away for later use)

By the way, this bike is super fun to ride. Its surprisingly light about 19.5lbs with pedals. The ride is soooo nice with small to medium bumps are smoothed out. It came with sewup, which are a first with me and I'm sold on them. The combination of 531 steel and tubulars make this Vent Noir ride awesome, I really can't explain the sensation I get riding it but its smiles all the time.

I took her out for a 1/4 mile ride to my LBS and I was having so much fun I took a 20 mile detour. The Vent Noir is so fun to ride I notice I don't tire out as easily because rather than concentrating on my pace, speed, cadence and who is in front of me, I just ride and enjoy the ride rather think I'm racing every person I come up to.

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
you could use these.
http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='3242-00'

if you search around you'll find more "vintage" bottle cage clamps. kind of like these on ebay.
# 330209924411

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
jtcastillo said:
I have an old Austro Daimler "Vent Noir" with no water bottle mounts. Without having to buy a camelback or seatpost/handle bar water bottle mounts what are my options. Does someone make waterbottle mounts for downtube? LBS said they could drill Downtube/Seat tube and install mounts but I can't bring myself to do that.

here is a photo of Zefal Gizmos in use on my Austro Daimler (when it was a fixie, it is now a loaded touring bike)

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
American Classic used to make a real clean stainless steel strap for use with their bottle cages. I don't know if they still make them but I just looked at their web-page and the cages still mount the same. I've got sets that I've had for 20yrs or so, taken off one bike and moved to another and back again, and never had one fail. Never even slipped.
It'd be worth a call or e-mail to see if they still have them available. Their page said that they still had the old style cages, but I don't know if that meant the mounts too.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
In style.

jtcastillo said:
LBS said they could drill Downtube/Seat tube and install mounts but I can't bring myself to do that.

I couldn't either. A clamp fits right in, anyway. I don't think there's a single brazed-on or riveted fitting on the Vent Noir frame, not even a slide-stop tab for the shifter clamp or a rear derailleur cable stop.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
wim said:
jtcastillo said:
LBS said they could drill Downtube/Seat tube and install mounts but I can't bring myself to do that.

I couldn't either. A clamp fits right in, anyway. I don't think there's a single brazed-on or riveted fitting on the Vent Noir frame, not even a slide-stop tab for the shifter clamp or a rear derailleur cable stop.

probably true, FWIW my AD Inter-10 in the picture is as you say....

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just use the back pocket as my water bottle cage when I ride the older bike.

Unfortunately, my '77 Centurion is nothing like your ride... except in the lacking of water bottle mounts department..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.