Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to cut monthly expenses,and obtain a vehicle that has more room and can safely transport Argon/Oxygen/Acetylene bottles.

Currently I own a 2007 Mini Cooper S.... Still owe some cash on it, however it looks like I can get at least ~$6k more than I owe on it on a trade in (carmax).

I kinda like the Subaru Outback Baja (aka, the worlds ugliest, but possibly most utilitarian vehicle for me). They were built from 2003-2006. But am open to some other vehicles, including a 1992-1993 Volvo 240 wagon...

What am I missing? Any other recommendations in terms of vehicles? Best way to go about this?

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
ford ranger pickup, 4 cyl, 5 speed

·
Review RoadBike Member
1,561 Posts
I like the Baja.

I actually seen a guy with the STi engine and drivetrain swapped into a Baja... Talk about the absolute ultimate!!

I like my MINI. It is getting high on miles but I hope to keep it together for a while.

Take a look at VW Jetta TDI wagons.. I think my next car will be one of those.. My next truck may be a diesel as well.

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Touch0Gray said:
ford ranger pickup, 4 cyl, 5 speed
I dont think I want to go back to a pickup truck... But haven't given it much thought... A rebuilt Toyota 4banger from the early 90's would be clutch...

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,893 Posts

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The TDI is an awesome car... but likely out of my price range. My cousin just bought one, so Ill bug him about it a little bit.

How is the reliability of the new Vdub's? I have heard bad things about the newer-ish jetta's? It would be competing with the Subaru Outback, and may win because of the gas mileage...

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,893 Posts

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Downgrading...

I will just say this much: My father was a F&I manager at several auto dealerships before he went to work for a software company.

I have seen the numbers for folks in your situation.

If you are doing it to save money, and not for other reasons like more space, the best advice I have is to love the one you're with, at least until paid in full.

BentChainring said:
The TDI is an awesome car... but likely out of my price range. My cousin just bought one, so Ill bug him about it a little bit.

How is the reliability of the new Vdub's? I have heard bad things about the newer-ish jetta's? It would be competing with the Subaru Outback, and may win because of the gas mileage...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Don't get a VW unless you like a lot of electrical issues. My wifes VW sucks!! I've been really happy my Honda Element.

·
Eddy 53:11
3,158 Posts
Find an old MB 240d wagon. Bombproof.

·
Cowboy up
3,886 Posts
Sell your oxygen bottles. Bike more. Then you won't need the oxygen bottles.

How often do you need to carry this stuff? Do they have car share or rental programs that would work?

Subaru and reliable don't go together from my experience.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
AC and I had a 1992 Suby with 205K on it before some [email protected] pulled out in front of me... My 1997 had ~187k when we donated it. His 1996 Suby has ~150k right now, and still going strong.

If it were me, I'd buy another used one.... The only "downside" is that the late model ones seem to hold their value really well. We bought a new 2008 Outback because we discovered that new ones weren't a whole lot more than the used ones (at least in our area).

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
We have both the Baja (2003) and Ranger (1993) along with our Element. The Baja is a fun vehicle and if you have enough room in the back it's great for a general purpose vehicle. But the ranger will probably cost you less in the long run. Maintenance on the Baja (timing belts, etc) has been about twice the cost of the ranger. But considering that 204,000 miles worth of ranger maintenance is almost zero both are a deal. The baja is much more comfortable on long trips and is smoother and quieter on the road. If I had to choose one as my only vehicle I'd probably go with the Baja..

·
Non non normal
10,094 Posts
You are an engineer. That means style should be way behind function. Find a minivan and you can haul anything you want and keep it dry. They drive great, get good mileage, haul up to seven people, or haul two people and a pile of stuff.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
jpelaston said:
I like the Baja.

I actually seen a guy with the STi engine and drivetrain swapped into a Baja... Talk about the absolute ultimate!!

I like my MINI. It is getting high on miles but I hope to keep it together for a while.

Take a look at VW Jetta TDI wagons.. I think my next car will be one of those.. My next truck may be a diesel as well.
We traded our Mini (and a POS Pathfinder) in on a Jetta TDI sedan. The best automotive decision I've made since buying the Mini. Got 50 mpg coming back from the beach a few weeks ago.

Buying another brand new car will not, of course, save Bent any money.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
JetSpeed said:
Find an old MB 240d wagon. Bombproof.
We had an '82 300TD Wagon that was insanely expensive to maintain, but was beautiful inside and fun to drive. We ended up selling it to some hippy who converted it to run on vegetable oil. our next car (in a few months) will be either an Outback, Forrester, or a used 5 series wagon. Manual tranny of course.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
+1 on a minivan. I own a '98 Mercury Villager with around 175k maintenance free miles (new tires, brakes and brake lines). The speedo sensor went out at 147k but with a tachometer, who needs a speedo? I moved kids to college and home numerous time, hauled 5 bikes, 3 people and luggage to Collegiate Cycling Nations, gone on cycling vacations, hauled yard debris, and been a daily driver. It's been a real work horse. When I bought it, I removed the 3rd row bench seat. The second row of seats are removable, so I typically remove 1 seat and drive it as a 3 passenger, leaving a big open are for carrying bikes and other things. I'm a car guy at heart but when the minivan goes, I will replace it with another one. They are just great utilitarian vehicles.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts