Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a research project related to commuting. What is your average commuting distance for work and other tasks (groceries, coffee, movies, etc)? What is your average speed? What percentage of your time do you commute on your bike vs. car? Thanks for all of your help.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
I ride to work 2-3 days a week (5 day workweek) from Sept thru Nov. and then again from April to the end of June (I'm a schoolteacher). The commute is 15 miles one way, 30 miles roundtrip with about 2500 vertical feet. Avg speed starts around 15-16mph early season and 17-19mph after a couple of months into the season (usually by mid-may). While it's a commute to work, I also use it for training with the terrain.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
I'm also a teacher - VERY soon to be retired - and have been a long time commuter. My commute is 18 miles one way. On the way to work it's all gradually uphill, and naturally the return trip is downhill. Speed?? Who knows? I'm commuting, not racing. I don't give a crap. I will say this...it's faster on the way home

·
Registered
346 Posts
tn29'er said:
I am doing a research project related to commuting. What is your average commuting distance for work and other tasks (groceries, coffee, movies, etc)? What is your average speed? What percentage of your time do you commute on your bike vs. car? Thanks for all of your help.
You should specify whether you are interested in travel time speed (i.e distance/door to door trip time), or "ride time" speed. Unless prompted, most people tend to quote their ride time speed, which is always more flattering, but doesn't say much about how long it takes to get to work.

FWIW, I ride 5.4 miles to work, with a door to door travel time of 20 to 24 minutes depending on traffic/mood.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
My commute is 43 miles round trip. My average varies between 15 and 17 mph depending on how I feel and the wind. My commute has 1100 feet of climbing going to work and 1400 feet coming home. I sometimes use my homebound commute to stop at the LBS and other places for some shopping. I put the panniers on if I plan on buying something larger than my trunk bag. I could go faster on my commute, but it would burn me out by thursday or friday. I typically leave for work at 5 am and get home around 5pm. With only 12 hours between rides, going hard isn't a good option.

As far as time, if I drive to work, the drive is 30 minutes and the walk from the parking lot is 20-25 minutes for a total of 50-55 minutes. My bike commute is the same distance as driving and takes around an hour and twenty minutes. By adding an hour to my total commute time, I get 43 miles of riding and save around $8 in gas.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
My commute is about 22 miles round trip. I try to ride every day, but it usually works out to 3 to 4 days/week due to the weather or tasks that require my vehicle. My average commute speed is about 15 mph. I learned real soon to take easy commuting or I burn out very quickly, so I generally ride at recovery pace. My one-way commute time ranges from 36-42 minutes riding time, depending on the weather and how tired my legs are. Total commute time including stops for traffic lights, etc., is usually about 45 minutes. My office is moving next year, and my commute will increase to about 30 miles round trip. I'm looking forward to the extra mileage.

·
Registered
973 Posts
15 miles round trip. Downhill on the way to work 26-30 minutes. Uphill on the way home 30-35 minutes. Most weeks I'll full commute 2 days a week and half commute(just ride home) 2 days per week. The fifth day I drive so I can play golf after work.:)

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
I ride 16.8 miles round trip to work. Usually takes a few minutes over an hour. My return home usually is tougher since the off-shore breezes are up and running by late afternoon.

It is 8-10 minutes faster to drive. But driving sucks. On the other hand, the bike ride is completely urban and during a high traffic volume time. Bike lanes help, but it's a little stressful worrying about what EVERY single car is about to do. Still better than driving, though.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Commute is only 6 miles direct, but hat is way too short for me. I usually add distance to the AM or PM portion, sometimes both.

The distance I add usually brings the daily round trip mileage to 25-30 miles and about 1:30 to 2 hours of time on the bike.

If I ride the 6 miles direct, commute in is 25 minutes, commute home is 15 minutes. Mainly uphill and flat on the way in, way home is flat and downhill.

I commute on a single speed if that matters to your research.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
tn29'er said:
Good luck with your research project.
As I don't ride with a computer, I will guesstimate were appropriate.
Hope this helps

Average commuting distance: 2.5 miles door-door one way (actual); but I often take a 20-40 mile "shortcut" on my way home.

And other tasks: I pretty much ride my bike for everything that can be handled alone. Yes, to the forgotten grocery & small errand runs, things that can be easily handled on a bike. Most of those activities are all within 15 miles one way (there are some longer ones, but they are atypical). My wife doesn't mind the extra time it takes as she gets out of an errand, and I get extra time in the saddle, so it works for both of us. Plus it really doesn't take much longer by bike.

Average speed: I have no idea, but a computer would not really help anyway as so many different factors influence my daily commutes. Guess on best days about ~20mph +/- a few depending on bike, conditions, traffic, intent.

Percentage time bike v car: 95% bike, 5% car. I can go weeks on occasion without driving a car, some weeks a couple times a week. (FI in 2008 I saw 14,700 miles by bike and 850 miles on my car and probably slightly more on my wife's car.) Note this percentage refers to time not mileage. I commute everyday - good weather-bad weather-rain-snow-light-dark - on bike. I mention my wife's car as we both work in the same city, so on days that I need a car - for instance to drive to a client or out of office activity that is not conducive to bike commuting - during the day, I can use her car, as it is parked nearby. (Yes, we used to carpool but in January of 2007, I went from a 3 season rider to full time, so I am generally always on the bike.)

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
tn29'er said:
.What is your average commuting distance for work and other tasks (groceries, coffee, movies, etc)? ....
From 1 to 100 miles which would make the average 50 miles.

tn29'er said:
What percentage of your time do you commute on your bike vs. car? Thanks for all of your help.
100% Bike.

tn29'er said:
What is your average speed? ...
Over the course of a year it is almost exactly 2 mph.

tn29'er said:
Thanks for all of your help.
Our pleasure.

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
I'll be different, since I don't really commute. I'm self employed and work from home. But I do ride to meetings and to run errands (in addition to rides for pure recreation). I use my bike for errands/meetings about 75% of the time. These are guesses as I don't really track my miles/time on my "utility" rides. But here goes...

I probably ride to meetings and/or for errands 3-4 times per week. Mileage for each trip rarely exceeds 15 miles, and it's usually about 6-10 miles. I have no idea on time. Typical is what I just did today--I rode about 4 miles to the bank, then about 6 miles over to the library, then about 2 miles back home. I was gone for a total of about 1 hr 15 min.

Edit: I just decided that I'm going to keep track, maybe using velog, just for the hell of it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
llama31 said:
I'll be different, since I don't really commute. I'm self employed and work from home. But I do ride to meetings...
QUOTE]

llama - curious as to what you do for business that allows you to ride to business meetings. A second, wondering if you are hiring!?

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
Oh, I'm not the only one...

Nickel II said:
llama31 said:
I'll be different, since I don't really commute. I'm self employed and work from home. But I do ride to meetings...
QUOTE]

llama - curious as to what you do for business that allows you to ride to business meetings. A second, wondering if you are hiring!?
I know I've read posts by others who ride to meetings with clients and such. I'm a water resources planner. So I work in two (usually) very casual worlds--public sector and science. And further, I now work in Colorado where it is even more casual than in other places.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Commute 2 days per week, because I am limited by commitments that require a vehicle. Total distance round trip is 34 miles, with about 2700 feet elevation gain in total. The ride takes me about one hour and gets a bit shorter as the season wears on...

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
17.5 miles in 40 minutes is the best time, however, the average seemed to be around 45 minutes. Back when I was employed a few weeks ago I’d ride an average of three days per week (17.5 x 6 x 4 = 420 average miles per month), although January saw me commute 651.3 miles.

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts
9.0 miles round trip...20 minutes per direction (15 if the lights are in my favor). I don't own a car anymore, so I either ride my bike or I don't go to work...

Errands vary -- anything from a few blocks to 10 + miles. Times vary considerably based on which bike I'm riding and how much cargo I'm carrying (150 lb. of groceries and a 5-year old on my Xtracycle means I move fairly slowly).

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am going to start commuting to work this week. 2 months back I test rode the route to work. I can report back with current stats later this week. Here is how it went down before I got my riding legs back.

Time Taken: 01:09:00 (total both ways)
Workout Route: to work and back
Total Distance: 16.98 mi. (total both ways)
Acsent: 571
Effort: Easy
Quality: Any time on the bike that I get home safely it good
Speed: 13.5 (mi/hr) (avg) 30 (mi/hr) (max)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here is the low dow after a week of commuting during Bike to Work Week

total -------------68miles ---------------------------------4:46:00 ---4 days of riding
best ------------------------------34 mph max----------0:31:00 ---one way
worst -----------------------------9 mph min------------0:38:00 ---one way
average --------17 miles ---14.1 mph --------------1:11:30 ---round trip
drive in car ----79 miles ---30 mph -----------------0:40:00 ---round trip

premium fuel----$2.61
mpg----------------19
fuel savings------$11

1 - 20 of 25 Posts