Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have recently been using a Cateye HRM and have done some research online about training, but my numbers are all out of whack.

I had my personal best speed tonight, previous on my rig as is was 17.9mph on Thursday and tonight I did a 18.6mph. Tonights ride was actually longer than my usual by about 1.5 miles.

I am thrilled with such a good increase, but I am left to wonder about a 166 average heart rate over 89 minutes. Objectively a 200 max heart rate is considered on the high limit and my max I have seen is about 186. I have read that prolonged training shouldn't be done at more than 70-80% of max, but if my max is 186 and my average is 166 then I am at 90% or better a fair amount of the time. Subjectively, I have read that if you can still hold a conversation then you are not pushing too hard and I can hold a conversation with a HR in the 160's.

Anyone have any similar findings??

Edited... tonights HR was a little higher than normal since I was pushing more, but my normal is still in the mid to high 150's.

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Meh, it's only relevant in terms of you.

I did a V02 test that put my "VT" at something like 187. My "Zone 2" per Friel is 156 - 167. Naw, your numbers aren't out there.

Don't think you should worry too much at this point about all that stuff. As long as you're not going what you feel is the same "pretty hard" every day, then fine. I hardly train with a HRM -- I just don't think it offers me much benefit. I know when I'm going easy, and when I'm going hard.

The trick for me is to make days "easy-easy-HARD-easy-HARD" rather than "hardish-easyish-hardish-hardish." Much more rewarding when I do, though.

· Registered
30 Posts
Argentius said:
Meh, it's only relevant in terms of you.
I hardly train with a HRM -- I just don't think it offers me much benefit. I know when I'm going easy, and when I'm going hard...
I just started monitoring my HR and cadence; got a new toy (Garmin305).

HR seems to be just a number. At least with cadence, I know if I am in my target zone for interval work.

My legs will blow long before my HR punches thru the estimated 85% max. I'm not even going to bother with the silly chest strap anymore.

· Windrider (Stubborn)
22,029 Posts
It's an individual thing......

get a hold of Freil's Cyclist training bible....he explains it better than I can but here are a few things.:

1.) Max heart rate is relativly imprecise for a training basis as it is dangerous to test, the 220- age doesn't work, and it is genetically determined. In other words it does not change as you get more fit.

2.) LT is trainable. The fitter you get, you can actually raise your LT. It is also easily testable. Just do a 30 minute out and back time trial at an all out effort......take your average HR for the last 20 minutes of it....that will approximate your LT. Set your training zones off this and you'll be fine.

3.) Train using HR for a while and you will begin to notice that other factors have a direct effect on your heartrate. Sleep or lack of rest, how overheated you are, how dehydrated you are etc. Comapring HR with perceived effort as you get more experience will tell you much about how ready you are for harder efforts.

4.) Average HR is meaningless. I've done sustained rides for 2 hours at 170 BPM (My LT is 182). I've also done intense intervals above LT with cooldowns in between where my average HR was 155......which ride do you think I needed more recovery from?

Finally, don't get too bound to the HRM.....enjoy the ride some. Over time, it is a great tool to learn how your body is reacting, that day to stress.

Len

· LOOK lover
625 Posts
Argentius said:
The trick for me is to make days "easy-easy-HARD-easy-HARD" rather than "hardish-easyish-hardish-hardish."
Listen up kiddies - best piece of advice I've seen here in quite a while!

· Registered
3,789 Posts
Len J said:
get a hold of Freil's Cyclist training bible....he explains it better than I can but here are a few things.:

1.) Max heart rate is relativly imprecise for a training basis as it is dangerous to test, the 220- age doesn't work, and it is genetically determined. In other words it does change as you get more fit.

2.) LT is trainable. The fitter you get, you can actually raise your LT. It is also easily testable. Just do a 30 minute out and back time trial at an all out effort......take your average HR for the last 20 minutes of it....that will approximate your LT. Set your training zones off this and you'll be fine.

3.) Train using HR for a while and you will begin to notice that other factors have a direct effect on your heartrate. Sleep or lack of rest, how overheated you are, how dehydrated you are etc. Comapring HR with perceived effort as you get more experience will tell you much about how ready you are for harder efforts.

4.) Average HR is meaningless. I've done sustained rides for 2 hours at 170 BPM (My LT is 182). I've also done intense intervals above LT with colldowns in between where my average HR was 155......which ride do you think I needed more recovery from?

Finally, don't get too bound to the HRM.....enjoy the ride some. Over time, it is a great tool to learn how your body is reacting, that day to stress.

Len

All great points Len. I have noticed many, if not all of things you've mentioned before. My max is nowhere near the 220 minus age formula and never has been.

· Registered
288 Posts
I tried a MR monitor twice and hated it, hated being self conscious of what the numbers said etc. I used it for spinning classes and on the road. In the classes I if I followed the instructors loevel of effort (or at least what they asked you to do) I was in the right zones and on the road I was freaked out at how high the numbers were. Much happier not knowing. It's personal, others love them (monitors).

· Windrider (Stubborn)
22,029 Posts
teoteoteo said:
All great points Len. I have noticed many, if not all of things you've mentioned before. My max is nowhere near the 220 minus age formula and never has been.
My observed max is 201....I'm 50 YO....220-age equal 170.......I can sustain 170 for over an hour and have a conversation at the same time......It's genetic.

Len

· Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Len J said:
My observed max is 201....I'm 50 YO....220-age equal 170.......I can sustain 170 for over an hour and have a conversation at the same time......It's genetic.

Len
So are heart disease and diabetes..... :(

My family genetics haven't yielded very many people over 70 and when my father developed a health issue (type 2 diabetes) I kind of got a wake up call that I should pay a little better attention to how the engine is running. I am not obsessed with my HRM at all, but when I am out of my saddle and I am steady in the mid 180's I do feel like I should back off a little, mostly because I think that is when I start producing lactic acid in my legs.

I felt great on my ride last night. I pressed pretty hard, but not all out and that had me wondering why my average was so high. I talked to a cardiologist a couple weeks ago that said that if I was not "uncomfortable" than I shouldn't worry, but with all the HR "formulas" and such out there and none fitting me very well, I felt like a definite anamoly. As far as comparisons go, I am 32 yrs old at 5"10.5 and 195lbs with an approximate "fighting" weight of about 180lbs.

· Registered
432 Posts
I used a heart rate monitor for about a year. I'm currently 53. When I started seriously riding for fitness I had gotten up into a pretty good fitness level before I got the Polar monitor. Actually my wife got one and I went along. She needs it because she has high blood pressure and has to watch her heart rate. I found out that when I was pushing hard, my heartrate was in the 80% target or so and when I was riding easy I was in the 50% or so. I concluded that I could tell what my heart was doing by just paying attention to my body. My fitness improvement rate is unique to me, my engine, my genetics, my fitness goals. There are general rules, but they aren't bible. Another thing is, it's one thing to train for fitness, it's another thing to train for elite fitness, as a racer must do to stay competitive. A highly fit rider does not have to be as fit as an elite rider.

· Windrider (Stubborn)
22,029 Posts
One of the things you will learn.....

the more you pay attention is that your heart rate, at the same effort will bedifferent at different times.

I travel 5 days a week for work......unfortunatly, I can only ride on Sat & Sun. Many times, my flight is delayed on Friday evening so I don;t get home until late.

If I get only 6 hours of sleep before my Sat ride as compared to a normal 8.5, my heart rate at the same relative effort and route can be as much as 12 beats higher. Rest has a hugh effect on heart rate at effort. Your heart rate the day after a very hard effort will be different than the day after a very easy effort. This is part of learning your own body's reaction to training.....it's why it is so valuable.

Read Freil's Cyclist Training Bible, it is worth it to understand what is going on.,

Len

· Registered
176 Posts
my hrm sucks

I went for a 1.5hr recovery ride. No effort just spun. the monitor was reading above 200 for a lot of the ride. I usually don't look at it much, but this ride i did. For this ride i averaged 165 bpm. I know i was in the 110-120 range. I think my numbers on most my rides are way high becuase the monitor errors from flapping clothes/static. I do wet the area but I don't sweat alot and it seems to dry quickly. It is a new wearlink soft-strap polar stram. I guess i'll have to wear super tight jerseys to get accurate numbers.
Just my experience.

· A guy from Norway
413 Posts
Few weeks ago I was gonna take an easy ride and monitored my HR carefully. Especially uphill and during headwind. I 'd done some intervals the day before and I very often experience an increase of HR the day after.

Well. I monitored my HR very carefully, never over 162.
Next day I realized I'd been monitoring the avr. Max reading was 192.

· Registered
63 Posts
check your max

I was just curious by the wording about your max. You said 186 was the highest you've seen. Are you checking the max listed on the monitor after you ride? I'm wondering if you meant that's the highest you've seen while riding. Is it possible your HR reading is spiking due to power line interference? If so, that should be reflected in the monitors MAX number though. Mine sometimes spikes to the 220's and I know it's a result of running or riding close to power lines.

Just a thought to consider.

· Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
kpcw said:
So you hang with Teh J's too dude, that's sure to take a few years off your life. :rolleyes:

Dude, I too can handle 195lbs with no issues, but at 187lbs. I am a caged Tiger ready for Royce Gracie on UFC. I want the winner of Matt Huges/Royce Gracie.

My family, all members have dogs. I kept my dog the most trim and she outlived all of em' by far and her level/way of life was beyond the other dogs too, she was a specimen.

So stfu and get down to 182lbs I say.

Secondly, I have my Cardiologist as my Primary Care Doctor and why? The dude is the Kerry Irons of health, he knows it all and the way I see it...if my heart etc is groovy, the only thing left to worry about is cancer. He said to me, "KP, if I was told I had heart disease, I would be disappointed, but I know that with meds, diet etc, maybe even surgery, I would be okay...now if I was diagnosed with diabetes.......I....would...be...very, very disappointed."

Your Father did not have access to healthcare like we do, to alternative herbs, medicines etc. Please switch to Belgian Beer and you'll be fine. I can write you a 'script' for the Belgian Beer...
Do you think I can get Kroger to sell a case of Stella Artois for a $10 copay???

· Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ronniedee said:
I was just curious by the wording about your max. You said 186 was the highest you've seen. Are you checking the max listed on the monitor after you ride? I'm wondering if you meant that's the highest you've seen while riding. Is it possible your HR reading is spiking due to power line interference? If so, that should be reflected in the monitors MAX number though. Mine sometimes spikes to the 220's and I know it's a result of running or riding close to power lines.

Just a thought to consider.

No spike issues where I ride.... underground wiring in a residential area.

My HRM is very stable with no spikes. I work up a good sweat so I certainly don't have any "dryness" issues and I don't have a "Max HR" setting on mine, so my max rate is observed while pedalling... uphill..... against the wind.... out of the saddle....

· Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lectron said:
Few weeks ago I was gonna take an easy ride and monitored my HR carefully. Especially uphill and during headwind. I 'd done some intervals the day before and I very often experience an increase of HR the day after.

Well. I monitored my HR very carefully, never over 162.
Next day I realized I'd been monitoring the avr. Max reading was 192.

I did the same thing last night, I knew I was pressing hard trying to catch a wheel (no luck :( ) and looked and saw the reading of 165.... I thought that my conditioning must be getting a lot better.... I looked down again after the climb and saw I was at 164 and then ding, the light bulb went on.... :eek:

· Registered
164 Posts
handsomerob said:
my max rate is observed while pedalling... uphill..... against the wind.... out of the saddle....
That's not going to give you your true max! Try going on a fast group ride and giving it your all out effort up a short hill trying to stay with the group when someone attacks!. You have to get out of your comfort zone and doing it by yourself is difficult.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.