Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
smell my finger
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know how subjective this is but I wanted to know what a decent average speed is for say a 50 mile ride? I just completed a 45 mile ride and not being a road biker for long
(2 months), I averaged 15.3 MPH for the ride. It was fairly flat, no huge climbs by any means, but the loop was not familiar to me. I have increased my average speed by a half mile an hour or so, so I'm content so far, I'm sure this just takes time. I don't ever plan on road racing but I use the road bike to train for MTB racing (Novice at this point). I've only been riding (recently) for a couple of years and have gained a huge amount of fitness and conditioning. No real weight loss but have lost many inches around the waist so I'm happy. By the way the heat/humidity was kind of oppressive in the northeast yesterday and I did not really hydrate well enough prior to the ride, just did it on a whim. I did however bring a bottle of Cytomax with me and that helped some during the ride, I ran out of water just near the end of the ride. I'm using a compact crank ultegra set-up on a new Madone 5.2. Any advice?....

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Do an advanced search on "average speed" in the title and read all you ever need to kow about how bad a rubric speed is and how much fun we have mocking speed as a metric.

Then look in the training forum about how to get faster.

Then have fun riding your bike.

·
Registered
657 Posts
If you just started riding 2 months ago, you are doing fine. At this point you just need more miles under your belt and enjoy the ride. You will see marked improvement by the end of the summer. (Last year was my first)

Read a book or two over the winter and get a trainer for some indoor work if you live somewhere that you cannot ride some during the winter.

See if you can find a group of riders at your level or slightly better. You will find yourself pushing yourself and getting better.

Enjoy riding and watch your calories a bit. I dropped 20 lbs last year by riding and mixing in a salad.

·
smell my finger
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
speed/strength

I did get a roller trainer over the winter and worked with it on my mountain bike with slicks and then when I got my road bike in March I rode with that too. I intend on riding all year, I started riding this January or so about 3 times per week (live in Maine). I'd rather ride outside in terrible weather than be stuck on rollers inside for 2 hrs. The rollers worked excellent and I would highly recommend them. The are much different than riding a stationary trainer, you develop a real sense of balance and a better pedal stroke (rounder). No eating popcorn and watching a movie on them... I really enjoy my single speed 29er mountain bike and I think that has also helped me out in the fitness department. But talking around the bottom line is the more you ride the stronger you get. With the increase in prices for fuel, groceries and the whole gammet (sp?) I plan on commuting more (10 miles one way). Thanks for the input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.