Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the average wheel weight is for non-carbon w/ skewers, tires, and tubes. I was suprised that mine came out to 2280 g that with tubeless w/ sealant. Is 5 lbs the normal expecation for somewhat light wheelset? Or are people getting down in the 3's? My tires aren't the lightest, but I also don't have tubes so it's kind of a wash. The wheels by themselves are 1445.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have no idea what my wheels weigh but What kind of skewers do you have ??

I saved about a 100 grams going to kcnc ti skewers....

And what kind of tires do you have?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Skewers only weight 125 total, I can save 40g or so switching, but big picture wise that doesn't really help.
Running Mavic K10 rims w/ Hutchinson Intensive Road Tubeless (w/ sealant)

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
Just wondering what the average wheel weight is for non-carbon w/ skewers, tires, and tubes. I was suprised that mine came out to 2280 g that with tubeless w/ sealant. Is 5 lbs the normal expecation for somewhat light wheelset? Or are people getting down in the 3's? My tires aren't the lightest, but I also don't have tubes so it's kind of a wash. The wheels by themselves are 1445.
Wheelset weights with tires and all that other stuff means nothing to us and everyone works in grams too. The bare wheeset weight is what we key in on.

Your 1445g is quite good. Talking clinchers, below 1400 grams is light.

Here are some wheelset weights that I have kicking around -
Open Pro/DuraAce/CX-Ray - 1762 grams.
OpenPro/Ultegra/DT Comp - 1852g - a very good benchmark wheeset.
BWW Blackset Race/CX-Ray - 1410g (at $500 a bargain for that weight)
Kinlin 300/White Industries/CX Ray - 1594g.
Gigantex 50mm carbon rims/Asian hubs/CX-Ray - 1579g.

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
Possible disfunctionality

You can get kcnc ti skewers that weigh 45grams for the set.....
As a rule, Ti skewers are 40% less stiff than steel. If you are a light rider and/or have vertical dropouts in your frame this might not be an issue. Many people have reported problems with Ti skewers not supplying enough clamping force to prevent their rear wheel from slipping in the frame when serious power was applied. YMMV.

·
Registered
963 Posts
As a rule, Ti skewers are 40% less stiff than steel. If you are a light rider and/or have vertical dropouts in your frame this might not be an issue. Many people have reported problems with Ti skewers not supplying enough clamping force to prevent their rear wheel from slipping in the frame when serious power was applied. YMMV.
Where did this rule come from? Ive had them on my mtb for a race season with no problems.

Olympic champ Samuel Sanchez has em on his bike but he probably doesnt produce "serious power".....

Olympic Champion, Samuel Sanchez’s Orbea Orca - VeloVeritas | VeloVeritas

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Just to throw it out since it is the only set I have put on the scale.

6speed set:
Shimano 600EX 36H hubset with steel skewers, Mavic MA40's laced 3X 18g spokes with Michelin light tubes, Vredestein Forte tires with a 13-19 freewheel, 3155g.

After weighing these, I vowed to not weigh the other wheel sets. ;)

·
downhill quickly
755 Posts
Say new2rd...just how many oz's of sealant are you using? The tires are what...290g?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Skewers only weight 125 total, I can save 40g or so switching, but big picture wise that doesn't really help.
Running Mavic K10 rims w/ Hutchinson Intensive Road Tubeless (w/ sealant)
Big picture wise you can drop a $800 on wheels that are 180 grams lighter or you can spend $70 and save 80 grams.

Or even better do both :thumbsup:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tires are 320 each and I'm not sure on the sealant... the LBS took care of that when I bought the wheels. My original post was more of an observation. Seeing that my wheels were basically 5 lbs and the lightest groupo is 4 lbs, I was trying to figure out how some people have 11-12 lb bikes? I'm not messing with the skewers, but my next tires might be the Fusion 3's which are 30 g lighter.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts