Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new CX bike with Avid BB7 mech. road disc brakes which I use for both commuting (very steep fire roads) and non technical trail riding. The brakes stop pretty well concidering the pads are not bedded in just yet. Originally the brakes were mushy and rubbed the pads. The shop I got it from changed out the housings to Jagwire and put longer screws in the spring tension part of the brake. They told me to ride it for a couple of weeks and the rubbing should go away. This helped the rear brake quite a bit. The front still "tings" when standing and worse when under heavy braking on a really steep fire roads the pads don't retract and it rubs heavily and makes this sort of grinding noise for perhaps 30 seconds after I release the levers. I'm pretty sure this is not normal. They work fine for normal road riding. I have Avid Juicy 7's on my mtn. bike and know them pretty well. Anyone experience this? Do you think a quality cable set like the Jagwire racer cables or perhaps the Avid full metal jackets would solve the problem? Do you think somethng is wrong with the caliper? Suggestions?

· Registered
39 Posts
Avid road disks on a road bike require compressionless cableing to work most effectively. When I had my standard Shimano system replaced with Avid's Flak Jacket, the feel of the brakes improved and there was less rubbing. The feel of the brakes became more like the Ultegras I was accustomed to on my other bike.

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Cyclesafe said:
Avid road disks on a road bike require compressionless cableing to work most effectively. When I had my standard Shimano system replaced with Avid's Flak Jacket, the feel of the brakes improved and there was less rubbing. The feel of the brakes became more like the Ultegras I was accustomed to on my other bike.
If mine felt like my Ultegras, they would be on eBay the next day. - TF

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
crank it said:
I just got a new CX bike with Avid BB7 mech. road disc brakes which I use for both commuting (very steep fire roads) and non technical trail riding. The brakes stop pretty well concidering the pads are not bedded in just yet. Originally the brakes were mushy and rubbed the pads. The shop I got it from changed out the housings to Jagwire and put longer screws in the spring tension part of the brake. They told me to ride it for a couple of weeks and the rubbing should go away. This helped the rear brake quite a bit. The front still "tings" when standing and worse when under heavy braking on a really steep fire roads the pads don't retract and it rubs heavily and makes this sort of grinding noise for perhaps 30 seconds after I release the levers. I'm pretty sure this is not normal. They work fine for normal road riding. I have Avid Juicy 7's on my mtn. bike and know them pretty well. Anyone experience this? Do you think a quality cable set like the Jagwire racer cables or perhaps the Avid full metal jackets would solve the problem? Do you think somethng is wrong with the caliper? Suggestions?
I only use mine on the road, so they probably don't see the conditions yours do, but they work very well. I would say that they are almost as transparent as the Hope minis on my MTB. I had a little problem with the rear when I first installed them (last summer) that required straightening the rotor and shimming the caliper a little. - TF

· POWERCRANK addict
99 Posts
mine are ok with no special housing - I'd get a second opinion on the install and try a bit of read the friendly manual - admittedly all I did with mine was have condor cycles set them up - yeah, yeah, I'm lazy as hell but the brakes work great

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.