Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
underachiever
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just installed some Avid Shorty Ultimate cantilever brakes and have an installation related question. Everything went on without any problems, but when I go to tighten the bolt down while I turn (tension) the spring cap, it just tightens everything. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? These are a different design from the old school design I'm used to so any help would be appreciated! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
misterdangerpants said:
So, I just installed some Avid Shorty Ultimate cantilever brakes and have an installation related question. Everything went on without any problems, but when I go to tighten the bolt down while I turn (tension) the spring cap, it just tightens everything. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? These are a different design from the old school design I'm used to so any help would be appreciated! :)
Answer: The mounting post is not tight in your frame or fork so it cannot hold the spring tension. Remove the brake and tighten the post in your frame/fork and maybe use some threadlocker if needed. I just installed a set of these and had the same problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So that others know, the spring tension on these brakes can unscrew the mounting post on the left rear and right front (driveside). The spring tension at the other locations will tend to tighten the right hand threaded posts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts