Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,

The Supergo by my house had its official opening yesterday as Performance, they offered 10% off of everything, including sale prices. They had some sweet deals, I walked away with a Deda Newton bar and stem, wipperman 10 speed chain, single speed chain, Powergel, Cytomax and Axiom A10W computer. The computer was listed for $14.99 which is down from retail of 39.99. This was obviously a mistake as they meant to only put the wired version on sale, but hey I tried and the checkout guy actually said "I'll give it to you, someone's got to stick it to the man. On my way home I still thought my total was kind of low so I looked at the receipt and realized the guy didn't ring up the Wipperman 10 speed chain which is $45!!!!! Sweet deal at Performance!

·
Banned
92 Posts
I usally go back into the store when something like that happens and pay for it. Knowing that you didn't pay for it and not going back is just as bad as putting it in your pocket and walking out with it. You basically stole that chain.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
He took something out of the store without paying for it. It was something that had a price tag on it. I call that stealing. I'd go back, even to Performance.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
Big Bad John said:
He took something out of the store without paying for it. It was something that had a price tag on it. I call that stealing. I'd go back, even to Performance.
now way. its like when some forgets their wallet. performance forgot to charge him. clearly they want him to have it. like when i lost my wallet: clearly i wanted somebody to help themselves to the spoils.

what i don't understand is coming to rbr and bragging about not paying for merch. oh well. to each his own.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I'd noticed that they didn't ring it up when I was in the store then I would have said something, which I've done in the past, but I didn't notice this until well after I'd left. Look at it any way you like.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Consider the poor kid

The way I prefer to look at it is that the poor kid behind the counter could potentially lose his job if you report his error. ...

If you call it theft, what do you call Performance pricing $350 for an Easton EC90 SLX - the same model I purchased on Ebay for $250. That's a pretty big differential.

Capitalism works in mysterious ways

·
Registered
178 Posts
Super Great deal

I went into performance with the bag they gave me last time, I filled it all the way up and they didn't even charge me for it. I think this is the best sale they've ever had. I just thought I'd share so that you could get in on the same deal.

Ha, I love the morality police on RBR. But why go online to say what mistake they made at a local performance bike? That's not a deal.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The problem with a lot of "big box" chain stores is they're not ethical. The advertising is often misleading with loss leader items - 30 to 50% off (selected items) sales and no payments until 2007 (you still pay interest). And don't forget the focus group derived - put the milk at the back of the store merchandising. While I have nothing against Performance its heart warming to see the "Corporate World" make a goof ball mistake.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Stop raggin' on the guy. Like all of you would really go and drive back to the store so they could charge you an extra $45... :rolleyes:

·
Banned
92 Posts
Yes, I would have driven back and paid for the chain. I feel that whatever goes around, comes around. You will get yours.

I like the statements some of you making, especially the big box store comment. Why did you go to Performace? I'm sure it was for the prices. Do you somehow think it's okay to steal (and that's what you did, steal) from a corporate store vs. a smaller local guy? Stealing is stealing, no matter how you rationalize it.

Like the above poster said, I hope that chain snaps in the middle of an important ride or race. It would serve you right.

I know know which was worse; not going back to pay or coming on this site and bragging about not paying for it. Both total cheesball loser moves if I ever saw them.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Scotty2Hotty said:
Stop raggin' on the guy. Like all of you would really go and drive back to the store so they could charge you an extra $45... :rolleyes:
Wow, what a bunch of Internet hero's we have on this board. Funny how people think Karma is going to get me, did you ever stop to think that maybe this is pay back for who knows how many times I've been overcharged by stores.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
giovanni sartori said:
Wow, what a bunch of Internet hero's we have on this board. Funny how people think Karma is going to get me, did you ever stop to think that maybe this is pay back for who knows how many times I've been overcharged by stores.
That argument won't get you anywhere... :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here is the perfect solution. Instead of getting back in the car and driving back to the store, simply pick up the phone, call the 800 number, tell them what happened, and have them charge you (without a shipping charge) for the "gift". After all, it would suck to snap a chian miles from your car.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Karma Police, Khama... police...this is what you'll get...

Not exactly related but I ordered a Campy 10 chain and Wipperman link from an online store that advertises on RBR and another cycling website I read alot - anyway, I got the chain in a day but the Wipperman link took another 6 days - my credit card statement showed a charge for the chain only none for the link. When I called to tell them the guy said "thanks, its on the house though" - I am not sure if they hooked me up just to be nice, or it would have been too much trouble to go back and charge my card again or because I was honest - either way he earned a customer for life for $14.95...

Nik

·
Banned
653 Posts
I kind of laugh at all this. I swear these big chain stores must be perfect
because in all my life none of them has ever called me back or re-credited
my VISA and told me that I was over-charged due to their mistakes.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Stealing is intentionally taking something that isn't yours.

I don't think it's truly stealing if you made an honest attempt to pay for it.

If you notice they put it in the bag but didn't ring it up, and you don't say anything, that's stealing. Because you intentionally took something you know you should have paid for.

But, if you get home and realize they forgot to charge you for something you thought you paid for, then it is their mistake and your gain, but I don't consider it stealing.

Both of these situations have happened to me.

Keep the chain and enjoy it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts