Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to say that after 9 years Mountain Biking I made the choice to switch to road and I am not sorry. The ride is awsome. I bought a Gavin Nouvo for a total of 488$ and wow. after figuring out with help my flat problems I have put on about 100 miles in the last 2 days and it was so cool. I felt like an arrow. Anyway my apoligies to all you road cyclist for the 9 years of teasing you and calling you weinies and laughing at your shaved legs lol. I am already getting that from my MTB friends lol

I averaged 17.4 mph. I dont know if that is good or not but I was wore out nonetheless

Thanks
rf37

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
rf37 said:
I have to say that after 9 years Mountain Biking I made the choice to switch to road and I am not sorry. The ride is awsome. I bought a Gavin Nouvo for a total of 488$ and wow. after figuring out with help my flat problems I have put on about 100 miles in the last 2 days and it was so cool. I felt like an arrow. Anyway my apoligies to all you road cyclist for the 9 years of teasing you and calling you weinies and laughing at your shaved legs lol. I am already getting that from my MTB friends lol

I averaged 17.4 mph. I dont know if that is good or not but I was wore out nonetheless

Thanks
rf37
That's ok. We really don't mind, because whenever a mtn biker gets all righteous us roadies just chuckle and say "give em 9 years or so, they'll learn". :D

Averaging mid 17's is very respectable, but don't fret too much over it. Keep on riding and having fun - you're doing great! :thumbsup:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Welcome to the road. The experience of speed and distance vs work output is exhilarating, no?

·
More carbon fiber please!
791 Posts
I enjoy both modes of biking. Each has it's benefits and to me I've never felt one was superior to the other. As long as you ride any bike it's all good.

·
More Miles...
289 Posts
Wait until you find a hill that will facilitate speeds in the 40+ mph range . Talk about a Rush ! Ride Hard . Enjoy .

·
Registered
596 Posts
So you're done with the fat tires, huh? Like a lot of people, I only rode mtb's for about 10 years. Bought a road bike, mostly for commuting, b/c rides in the mountains were too few and far between -- hard to maintain a good level of fitness riding 0-2 days a week, at least for me. Really took to the whole road riding thing and the MTB stayed in the shed for about 2 years. Then, I got out the MTB again one day last September, was amazed at how much more fun it was when I was in better riding shape, due to riding the road bike 4-5 days a week.

This year, I've been riding the road bike week days, the mtb maybe one evening a week and on Saturdays, schedule permitting. For me, MTB=fun+excitement, road=satisfaction+exercise.

·
Registered
303 Posts
tystevens said:
So you're done with the fat tires, huh? Like a lot of people, I only rode mtb's for about 10 years. Bought a road bike, mostly for commuting, b/c rides in the mountains were too few and far between -- hard to maintain a good level of fitness riding 0-2 days a week, at least for me. Really took to the whole road riding thing and the MTB stayed in the shed for about 2 years. Then, I got out the MTB again one day last September, was amazed at how much more fun it was when I was in better riding shape, due to riding the road bike 4-5 days a week.

This year, I've been riding the road bike week days, the mtb maybe one evening a week and on Saturdays, schedule permitting. For me, MTB=fun+excitement, road=satisfaction+exercise.
similar story here except just recently got back on the road. mtb is a little time consuming as you have to load up and drive somewhere. kind of hard when you got a list of honey-do's a mile long+kids' activities+yard to mow+everything else. with a road bike you can pull out the driveway and be back in a couple of hours. When I do go mtn biking though, its much more fun as I'm in better shape from riding more frequently.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yep, before the road bike, the MTB was kind of a downward spiral for me as my family and professional responsibilities increased. Limited time to ride, so I got in worse and worse biking shape, making that initial climb on the MTB less and less fun (we have lots of good trails along the Wasatch Front here in Salt Lake, and really not too far away, but it is all straight up and then straight down!), making me feel less and less like going for a ride when I had time, as opposed to doing something less taxing. With the road bike, if I have a free hour, I can literally ride for an hour, and find enough hills and things to get good exercise in. Exercise on the road bike prepares me a lot better for MTB than the EFX machine at the gym does!

I also commute on the bike, schedule permitting, and figure I get 75 minutes of exercise for the "cost" of only 25 minutes or so extra out of my day (car commute takes about 50 minutes round trip, bike commute is about 1:15). Plus, I'm already on the bike, so sometimes I'll leave work a little early or get home a lttle late, and extend my trip home by 10-30 miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts