1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UPS caught up with me.

Entered Value $373.38
Tariff rate 11%
Disbursement fee $5
Duty $41.07
Total $46.07

I remember someone saying something about just not paying. How has this tactic worked out for you? Any Brown Santa Goombas showed up at your doorstep?

Totalcycling says this: "Nearly all cycling goods are zero-rated by US customs. Groupset items and headsets are zero-rated - you will not have to pay any duty. Some items such as pedals and saddles are charged at 8%." I got some pedals, but everything else was "groupset items". So...is UPS pulling my leg, shaking me down with this flat 11%?

If worse comes to worse, I think I'll just send a check dated 12 December 2019, shortly after the world will have ended.

·
Registered
778 Posts
hrmm...now I'm concerned. I ordered about $325 worth from probikekit.com. I REALLY hope I don't end up with a bunch of fees that totally negate the savings. I haven't even gotten the stuff yet!

I wonder how much this depends on the carrier used. Does it vary from FedEx, UPS, etc? Are some just not as together about collecting these duties, or ignore it or what? Also I've heard if the packages are sent in such a way that it goes into USPS you get by the duties, any experience with this anyone?

As for just not paying UPS, I doubt the "Men In Brown" will show up at your doorstep, but they probably could do nasty things to your credit. :(

·
rock n rolling resistance
851 Posts
TACSTS said:
hrmm...now I'm concerned. I ordered about $325 worth from probikekit.com. I REALLY hope I don't end up with a bunch of fees that totally negate the savings. I haven't even gotten the stuff yet!
Although I haven't recently ordered anything from them for what its worth I never paid any duties ordering from them. From what I can remember some or all of their packages shipped out from US address... don't ask me how or why they were doing it that way...

·
Registered
138 Posts
SDizzle said:
UPS caught up with me.

Entered Value $373.38
Tariff rate 11%
Disbursement fee $5
Duty $41.07
Total $46.07

I remember someone saying something about just not paying. How has this tactic worked out for you? Any Brown Santa Goombas showed up at your doorstep?

Totalcycling says this: "Nearly all cycling goods are zero-rated by US customs. Groupset items and headsets are zero-rated - you will not have to pay any duty. Some items such as pedals and saddles are charged at 8%." I got some pedals, but everything else was "groupset items". So...is UPS pulling my leg, shaking me down with this flat 11%?

If worse comes to worse, I think I'll just send a check dated 12 December 2019, shortly after the world will have ended.
What did you order to get the 11% tariff? I do not remember seeing any percentages that high on Totalcyclings website. Also, was these fee's assessed when you took delievery or at a later date?

I have a set of wheels headed my way and have my finger crossed.

·
Banned
3,305 Posts
You can challenge this fee. Call them up and tell them the fee is bogus, and make sure you have your tarriff duties straight.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
carb850 said:
What did you order to get the 11% tariff? I do not remember seeing any percentages that high on Totalcyclings website. Also, was these fee's assessed when you took delievery or at a later date?
I got the bill (yesterday) now about a month after I got the order. I don't know why the tariff is so high, but I think I'm going to call to ask. I bought a cassette, pedals, and a rear derailleur - according to totalcycling's website, I should only pay duty on the pedals, and then only 9%.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
SDizzle said:
I got the bill (yesterday) now about a month after I got the order. I don't know why the tariff is so high, but I think I'm going to call to ask. I bought a cassette, pedals, and a rear derailleur - according to totalcycling's website, I should only pay duty on the pedals, and then only 9%.
Duties vary by country of origin.... Just because Totalcycling's Ireland duty is x% doesn't mean the 11speed from Italy is going to be the same..some countries might be duty free while others have a very high duty..

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
Duties vary by country of origin.... Just because Totalcycling's Ireland duty is x% doesn't mean the 11speed from Italy is going to be the same..some countries might be duty free while others have a very high duty..
Says the guy working for The Man....

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
FTF said:
Says the guy working for The Man....
LOL, Yep...frankly it amazes me that people aren't doing their homework before ordering from overseas..

Depending on the country of origin and the carrier, the following fees might apply:

Export taxes
Export duty
VAT- depends on the country of origin whether exports are VAT free
Import duty
Customs brokerage fees

Never assume it is duty free...Ask the company what the duty is on the part you're ordering, who the carrier is and whether VAT applies..

·
Registered
138 Posts
Dave Hickey said:

I believe the list on Totalcyclings site is supposed to be the import duties for the US. They have a diclaimer that it is for informatin only and you should look into it yourself before ordering. So I knew it was possible for those numbers to be off. However, what I have not read up on is export duties form various countries. As for the VAT, I thought that did not apply unless you live in certain area's of Europe.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
carb850 said:
I believe the list on Totalcyclings site is supposed to be the import duties for the US. They have a diclaimer that it is for informatin only and you should look into it yourself before ordering. So I knew it was possible for those numbers to be off. However, what I have not read up on is export duties form various countries. As for the VAT, I thought that did not apply unless you live in certain area's of Europe.
The list on Totalcyling's site is the US import duties when importing from the UK. Italy might be the same( I haven't reasearched it) but the US is free to set different duties based on the country of origin. If the US feels a country is dumping cheap goods on the US, they'll put a higher duty on that countries goods.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Import duties also vary by state.

Might help others to know what state charges what.

I live in CA and have ordered from UK (totalcycling and gbcycles - grouppo, parts and clothing), Italy (11speed.com and zonabici - grouppo, parts, rims, wheels) and France (xxcycle.com - parts).

Never paid any duties.

Might just be the cost of living in lower sales tax, or income tax states...ie hight import duties.

·
Registered
187 Posts
have received lotsa stuff from totalcycling and xxcycle as well as some other places in the UK, italy and canada. have never had to pay any kind of duty and have received frames, wheels, etc. a duty is protectionism which is something the US republicans are supposed to abhor (big government telling honest, hardworking people where they should buy their stuff). look at the prices maestro-uk has on colnago and then try to say there isn't some sort of price fixing going on. i don't mind giving people money, i just like them to work for it.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Both Ireland and Italy are members of the European Union, I believe the US trade policy is negotiated and set against the EU not individual countries, I would be suprised if Ireland and Italy differ for any product. I think you probably have a case. I might try to research it.

I just looked up Tariffs for Italy and the referencing document is for the European Union so its looking like tariffs should be the same between Totalcycling and 11speed.

I ordered two saddles and some Centaur shifters over a week ago and it hasn't hit my card yet or been delivered so I'm guessing their fast when they have stuff in stock and when they don't you can be in for a wait with no communication from them.

·
Registered
138 Posts
giovanni sartori said:
Both Ireland and Italy are members of the European Union, I believe the US trade policy is negotiated and set against the EU not individual countries, I would be suprised if Ireland and Italy differ for any product. I think you probably have a case. I might try to research it.

I just looked up Tariffs for Italy and the referencing document is for the European Union so its looking like tariffs should be the same between Totalcycling and 11speed.

I ordered two saddles and some Centaur shifters over a week ago and it hasn't hit my card yet or been delivered so I'm guessing their fast when they have stuff in stock and when they don't you can be in for a wait with no communication from them.
I ordered wheels Monday of last week. The charge was showing up by Wed on my account. Now just waiting to see how long delivery takes.

·
Banned
211 Posts
Cheapskates and nitwits buying overseas to save a buck deserve all the duties and headaches that come with being a cheapskate in the 1st place. LMAO. :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
carb850 said:
I ordered wheels Monday of last week. The charge was showing up by Wed on my account. Now just waiting to see how long delivery takes.
Hello,
Cheapskates and nitwit checking back in. My Zonda's arrived today, look wonderful. No extra fee yet... Very happy with this transaction and will not hesitate to order from 11speed again.

·
rock n rolling resistance
851 Posts
carb850 said:
Hello,
Cheapskates and nitwit checking back in. My Zonda's arrived today, look wonderful. No extra fee yet... Very happy with this transaction and will not hesitate to order from 11speed again.
I ordered some cassettes last week and the package arrived here in 4 days... and no duty... I kept the total below 200 just to see... I'm thinking of ordering Eurus next but likely to pay duty on the wheels over 500 though.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts