Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Axels too thick

3397 Views 14 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  FatTireFred
Hi all. I bought a set of Swift Arriv wheels for my Fuji Gran Tourer. I tried installing them, but it seems that the axels are too thick and therefore wont fit in the front fork. I put the new wheel next to the old one and the old axels are thinner than the new ones. I'm not sure what to do at this point...
Pics:
The old wheel on the left, new on the right.

When I try to install the new wheel.
See less See more
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
file the dropout or axle or get new wheels? why is the axle solid and not QR?
Because thats what came with the wheels... Whats a good tool to file the dropout with?
Trick question

BoogieTrain said:
Whats a good tool to file the dropout with?
I'd try a file ;-)

I assume the rear wheel fits okay?

Did you ever get your brake issues resolved?
I did not get the brakes resolved. The only files I have around here are nail files.

I noticed that the left dropout takes the axle all the way in. The axles on my old wheels had plenty of wiggle room. Im Using fine sandpaper on the inside of the dropouts. The right side is going in a little further than it wanted to before. Im going to continue to use the sandpaper and see if I can get it all the way in there. I may be able to adjust the brakes I have to work with these wheels actually.

I have not tried the back wheel yet. Ill cross that bride when i get there.
BoogieTrain said:
I have not tried the back wheel yet. Ill cross that bride when i get there.
It's never wise to cross your bride...:thumbsup:
What do you get when you cross a bride with a bunny??????

-_- bridge*

I just remembered that the front wheel that was on the bike when I bought it was not the original wheel. It looks that the Axles of the rear wheel are the same size as the axles of the wheels I bought, so hopefully they will fit fine, but if thats the case, why is my front wheel having trouble fitting?

One side drops in and the other side I have to push down on and dosen't want to hit the very bottom (or top) of the dropout before it becomes too wedged to go any further.
Left Side: (notice the slight space)

Right Side: (flush with the bottom)

I can lift and wiggle the right side, the left side has no movement.
See less See more
This just looks like manufacturing variation. You should go to the hardware store and buy a round file, or borrow one from a friend. They're pretty cheap and will save you a lot of time.
I still wanna know what you get when you cross a bride with a bunny.

And I can't imagine why you should have to file a dropout. Has it been bent?
seawind161 said:
I still wanna know what you get when you cross a bride with a bunny.

And I can't imagine why you should have to file a dropout. Has it been bent?

A big family. In a hurry.

You're probably right. Dropping it can bend a fork end just enough to tighten that fit.

He's almost there with the sandpaper.

Those are some nice sharp closeup pics, and some pretty crappy looking threads. be sure and put plenty of grease on there before you tighten the nuts.
Even with the one side not completely seated the wheel looked straight so I bolted them on.
Then I tried the back wheel and the axles fit without any problems. So the wheels are installed! Pic:

The rear wheel ended up needing a new tube so ill be removing the the wheel, and while its off Im going to take your advice of lubing up the bolts (and fixing that chain slack), getting the wheel on and straight was actually pretty tough because they were dry and I didnt realize I should lube them. Going to lube up the front too. The guy I bought them from said that he had them sitting around for a while...

The idea that the fork was slightly bent crossed my mind but i didnt want to try and unbend the frame by bending it further and making the whole thing worse.

I also want to get a new chain to accompany the "new" wheels/hub/freewheel. Im going to be riding mostly SingleSpeed, and I want to try fixed since I have the option. This was suggested to be a good chain at a good price:

https://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Chain+PC-850&vendorCode=SRAM&major=1&minor=11

Anyone have opinions or suggestions about this or another chain?!
Also, the wheels I just installed are 700C STAR SWIFT ARRIV WHEELS. Can anyone confirm that they use 3/32 size chains?

(I feel like I should be starting a new thread every time I have a different question from the topic title)

Oh, all I have is TriFlo and Finish Line Dry Teflon lube. Whats good to use and where?
See less See more
BoogieTrain said:
the wheels I just installed are 700C STAR SWIFT ARRIV WHEELS. Can anyone confirm that they use 3/32 size chains?

(I feel like I should be starting a new thread every time I have a different question from the topic title)

The wheels have nothing to do with what kind of chain you run...if you told us what kind of freewheel/fixed cog you are running/plan to run, we'd be able to help.
a nail file should work... might take awhile tho
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.