Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right place to post, but here goes...

I am having trouble deciding which bike to get; it’s a flip between the Bianchi Axis and Lemond Poprad.

The Axis looks better suited for light off-road and largely road use, which is good for fast commuting and light touring. It has an aluminum frame, which makes it a bit lighter, although the stock components are nothing to write about with Shimano Tiagra front and STI shifters and an XT rear. However it does have a carbon fork which is a good thing to have on rough terrain. It has eyelets for fenders or racks, for both the back and front. Its color scheme is not bad with a blue and Bianchi green design. http://www.bianchiusa.com/06_axis.html

The Poprad is also a cyclo-cross bike but also a good road bike for commuting on those rougher roads. Its frame is steel which I believe can be heavy but very sturdy when you need that extra strength and stability. The components are quite nice with 105 front, rear, shifter and brakes. It has an alloy fork, which matches the color scheme of the bike, a metallic orange with light cream decals. Not crazy about the color although it is attention grabbing (is that good?) and fun. I don’t know if it has eyelets for a back rack, which is another thing that worries me.http://www.lemondbikes.com/2006_bikes/poprad.shtml#

They are almost identical in price $1250 with the Axis being $50-100 more. Another thing is that the Axis will have to be ordered and shipped from outside my province, which is an additional cost. The Poprad can be ordered through my LBS, since they are the authorized dealers. I have not ridden either bike; nevertheless I did a lot of research to choose the best that would suit my needs. The problem now is that I can’t decide which of these two great bikes to get.

Any feedback or advice to help in with my decision is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chad

·
Old Skool
719 Posts
Logis first, emotion second

Chad,

Here is my two cents: Both are good bikes and would serve you well. There no wrong choice here. As far as how to make the choice goes, you have three choices as follows:

1. Decide with a coin toss. It is definitely possible to over think this kind of stuff.

2. Decide with emotion. Pick the one that “speaks” to you. This is where you get to factor in things like looks, brand name, that certain “je ne sais pas quoi”, whatever floats your boat.

3. Decide logically. It will come down to priorities and only you can determine what your priorities are. Here are some of the key points to consider:

• Double (Lemond) vs. Triple (Bianchi)
  • Traditional geometry (Lemond) vs. Compact (Bianchi)
  • The “eyelets issue”, Yes (Bianchi) vs. No (Lemond)
  • LBS relations, how important is service after the sale to you? Your LBS is a Lemond dealer. Certainly if you choose the Bianchi, your LBS will service it. However, if you buy from them (Lemond) you will have a stronger relationship with them.
My advice is to consider the logical issues first. If none of them make or break the deal, then pick based on emotion. From the tone of your post, it sounds to me like you are leaning toward the Bianchi but are looking for reasons to spend the additional dollars and not buy from your LBS. That is a judgment call only you can make. Remember, there is no wrong choice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chad,

Here is my two cents: Both are good bikes and would serve you well. There no wrong choice here. As far as how to make the choice goes, you have three choices as follows:

1. Decide with a coin toss. It is definitely possible to over think this kind of stuff.

2. Decide with emotion. Pick the one that “speaks” to you. This is where you get to factor in things like looks, brand name, that certain “je ne sais pas quoi”, whatever floats your boat.

3. Decide logically. It will come down to priorities and only you can determine what your priorities are. Here are some of the key points to consider:

* Double (Lemond) vs. Triple (Bianchi)
* Traditional geometry (Lemond) vs. Compact (Bianchi)
* The “eyelets issue”, Yes (Bianchi) vs. No (Lemond)
* LBS relations, how important is service after the sale to you? You LBS is a Lemond dealer. Certainly if you choose the Bianchi, your LBS will service it. However, if you buy from them (Lemond) you will have a stronger relationship with them.

My advice is to consider the logical issues first. If none of them are make or break the deal, then pick based on emotion. From the tone of your post, it sounds to me like you are leaning toward the Bianchi but are looking for reasons to spend the additional dollars and not buy from your LBS. That is a judgment call only you can make. Remember, there is no wrong choice.

Thank you for your insight and advice.

The logical thing is to buy the Axis, for two reasons: Standover height for the 52 frame is 77.5 which gives me a 3 cm clearance. Second the color is nice and conservative for my taste.

On the otherhand also logical is to buy the Poprad, I will have only 1 cm clearance, but I get better parts and wheelset, support LBS and have a good relationship. BTW it also has eyelets for racks just found out after searching the web.:)

Emotionally I would go with either one.:D

Coin toss goes to the lemond..

Got any more great advice or questions, anything is great.

regards,
Chad

·
Registered
205 Posts
What's it FOR?

My GF has an Axis, and it's a really good bike. She uses it for winter training. With the MTB gearing, the bike powers through snow, if you are crazy enough to go out on roads or paths in fresh snow; we are- great power training! I've wished for her low end many times as I get out of the saddle and my rear wheel loses traction as a result. On dry roads, she spins out pretty easily and wishes for my rig. We're thinking of racing 'cross this fall- she's fast enough to be a threat- but it's not a competition set-up. All that gear range and the triple mean the chain is liable to fall off in the crazy stuff. The carbon fork is ok, but it doesn't soak up a real body-slam like my cheap steel fork. I pulled the alloy fork off my cannondale and put a steel touring fork on... way less harsh.

The Poprad is more of a serious cyclocross racing bike- but I'd ride it to see how the fork feels. The compact front rings are a good range for a cross bike, but if you want to double as a MTB... it won't do it.You'd be a lot faster to get off and run. HEY! WAIT A MINUTE! That is the whole idea, after all...

Both of these bikes I'd try and see if you can get last year's model and save yourself 15-20%. Maybe you can even find the Bianchi in the proper green color. These are both great bikes, but will be very different to ride because of the gear ranges. The Bianchi is by far the more practical if you want one bike to double as MTB, Touring Bike, Commuter, and Uphill Survival Endurance Event bike. For logging roads, riding to work because you want to hit the road before the sun sets after work, and you might try a cross race someday (or like the feeling that you might) the Poprad is the better bike. IMO.

I got a deal on a Cannondale. The low end cannondale is inferior, but I like the frame, swapped out the fork, crankset, and BB... got new tires, put on CandyC pedals.. and am nowhere near swapping out parts- but I think that's fun. Overall, the Cross bike was my most effective and fun training tool for last winter. I just pumped up my road bike's tires this morning... close enough to spring, and I haven't been on the rollers in quite a few weeks.

You are stuck- both are great bikes, and it really doesn't matter which way you go. Buy both- you'll probably ride them both.

'meat

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I have ridden both bikes in the recent past.
You want my opinion?
Bianchi.
Yeah, the parts spec is not up to the Lemond, but the ride and feel of the Bianchi is by far superior. One reason, the fork. The carbon fork on the Bianchi is not the best, but the fork on the poprad is quite easily the worst, flexiest, heaviest piece of crap ever to be made. Bar none. If you like front wheel chatter under moderate to heavy braking, you may like it. And I'm not talking about a little bit of chatter either. These forks do not feel safe under really hard braking. I rode a 54 or 55ish frame of a freinds and it was bad. But I guy I work with has one. He is 6'4" so his is like a 60ish. 10 times worse on the larger frame. Same bike, same wheels. He ended up tossing the stock fork for a carbon job because his was basically unridable.
Besides, does "Made in Italy" mean nothing to you?

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
mtbbmet said:
Besides, does "Made in Italy" mean nothing to you?

Well, I suppose it could but to my knowledge the Axis is not made in Italy.

I agree with the original post that it is way too easy to overthink comparisons between virtually identical bikes. There's no "wrong" answer here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts