Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm in the middle of converting an '82 Schwinn Le Tour into a single speed and am at the phase of reconstruction. My problem with the axle is that it's barely long enough to sit in the dropouts let alone thread BOTH axle nuts onto it. From the looks of it, if the axle is shifted all the way to one side, there are just enough threads to thread on a nut (about 5 or 6 millimeters) while the opposite side is just hanging onto the dropout. My dad is almost positive that he didn't switch axles or anything when he took this one apart to clean. We're stumped... Do the dropouts need to be bent inward to make enough space for the axle nuts or is something else wrong? I can post a pic tomorrow if that'll clear up anything. Any help is desired and appreciated.

Colin

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, yeah, my bad. Everything about the wheel, hub, and axle is stock '82 Le Tour. We just took it apart a while ago to degrease and inspect. Like I said, both he and I are pretty sure we didn't swap the axle with another one.

· Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Colin Y said:
Hey everyone,

I'm in the middle of converting an '82 Schwinn Le Tour into a single speed and am at the phase of reconstruction. My problem with the axle is that it's barely long enough to sit in the dropouts let alone thread BOTH axle nuts onto it. From the looks of it, if the axle is shifted all the way to one side, there are just enough threads to thread on a nut (about 5 or 6 millimeters) while the opposite side is just hanging onto the dropout. My dad is almost positive that he didn't switch axles or anything when he took this one apart to clean. We're stumped... Do the dropouts need to be bent inward to make enough space for the axle nuts or is something else wrong? I can post a pic tomorrow if that'll clear up anything. Any help is desired and appreciated.

Colin
Colin, The Le Tour was a geared bike and not a single speed...as such it likely had a quick release. If it did, the axle is designed to fit inside the dropouts not extent beyond them...

If the above is true, you either need to add a longer threaded axle on your current rear wheel or buy a single speed/fixed gear specific rear wheel..

do you have a digital camera? pics would help

· Registered
14,776 Posts
measure the spacing between the dropouts.
measure the over-locknut length of the axle.

Report back, and we'll try to tell you what you did wrong.

Or, what Dave said

· Registered
11,555 Posts
Dave's the faster typist: As Dave said and also

as far as I know, the wheel on a stock '82 LeTour had a quick-release hub. That means the stock axle was hollow so it can accept a quick-release skewer, not axle nuts. It also means that the axle ends aren't suppose to protrude past the outside surfaces of the dropouts. (If they do, the quick release skewer nuts can't bite into the dropouts because they're deadheaded by the protruding axle ends.)

If the axle you have now is hollow and there were axle nuts, something got screwed up somewhere along the line. A photo or an axle length dimension would help in this case.

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ohh, wow, yeah, that would make sense. I just noticed earlier today that the axle was hollow, not solid like I expected it to be. I didn't know that hollow = QR. We must have misplaced the skewers somewhere. That really helps a lot, thanks a bunch for saving us a lot of stress, haha. We may just have to get a new skewer and such.

And as far as the accused axle nuts go, I assumed that the nuts that my dad had were the outside ones. It makes sense now that they are the inside ones. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.