Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mess O'Potamist
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since the AZT came onto my radar i've wanted to ride it. until such time i've found i can entertain myself with samples. this weekend was my second sample and it was tough and awesome and i wouldn't have it any other way.
my first trip was solo and a lucky for me a friend of mine is as brain damaged as i am so i had company this time. i'm already looking forward to the next one.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Very nice!

I really enjoyed these photos. You must have had a spectacular time! This is something I'd really like to do one day; thanks for posting!!

Arby

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Nice

I love the perspective on the barbed wire fence shot. I love AZ as well, it's rugged but still beautiful. What are the temps like at this time of year where you were?

·
Mess O'Potamist
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
zeytin said:
I love the perspective on the barbed wire fence shot. I love AZ as well, it's rugged but still beautiful. What are the temps like at this time of year where you were?
Winter has been a little schitzo this year but it was almost 80 the first day and in the upper 40s at night.
Maybe the lurker will post some of his pics.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Was that a melon in that (mesquite? palo verde?) tree?

These photos were a real jolt after seeing Zeytin's icy post from the beach...all things considered, I'd go for the warmer temps in AZ (although it looks like that storm that grazed us in SoCal must have made it to where you were...)

Now, for your next assignment, drive up to Flag one of these weekends and see how the riding is up there this time of year.

·
Mess O'Potamist
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Walrus said:
Was that a melon in that (mesquite? palo verde?) tree?

These photos were a real jolt after seeing Zeytin's icy post from the beach...all things considered, I'd go for the warmer temps in AZ (although it looks like that storm that grazed us in SoCal must have made it to where you were...)

Now, for your next assignment, drive up to Flag one of these weekends and see how the riding is up there this time of year.
Gourd vine in a mesquite I believe.
Apparently the flag folks are pretty shaken up with the lack of snow and the ability to still ride the trails up there. It's going to be one heck of a fire season unless we get some precip.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Very nicely done YB. Nice subject. Nice prospective in the pictures. Nice all the way around.

I noticed your water bottles with the bubble top protectors. I haven't seen those before. I have been using a sandwich bag and rubber band combination to do the same thing. It looks like the tops came with the bottles. Did they? Do you know where they can be purchased, preferably a source that would be willing to ship them.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Mess O'Potamist
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Vettekid said:
Very nicely done YB. Nice subject. Nice prospective in the pictures. Nice all the way around.

I noticed your water bottles with the bubble top protectors. I haven't seen those before. I have been using a sandwich bag and rubber band combination to do the same thing. It looks like the tops came with the bottles. Did they? Do you know where they can be purchased, preferably a source that would be willing to ship them.

Thanks in advance for the help.
After the mud on my last azt trip and the plethora of cow patties I searched out these bottles and yes, they come with the cap. I purchased them at REI so I'm pretty sure you can get them shipped. Made by Nalgene.

·
Mess O'Potamist
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Arby said:
I really enjoyed these photos. You must have had a spectacular time! This is something I'd really like to do one day; thanks for posting!!

Arby
We really did have a great time - tough but fun. This is rapidly becoming my favorite type of ride. And by the time you do something like this the AZT might be finished.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Love the post.

Love the cactus.

Love the bullet holes in the trail marker.

Especially love the bell.

Looks like a great ride. How far and how often did you sink into the sand? I’m thinking a BOB trailer would have been a better way to carry your stuff, what say you? How much stuff do you put in your tires and tubes to reduce flats?

·
Mess O'Potamist
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks

Looks like a great ride.
It sure as heck was - can't wait to do it again.

How far and how often did you sink into the sand?
Oh, that sand... There were two washes for a total of about 3-4 miles. We could ride some sections but then we'd run into a section that just ate the tires as the pic shows (it was not doctored).

I’m thinking a BOB trailer would have been a better way to carry your stuff, what say you?
A bob would not be a great option for this section as there are lots of tight switchbacks that were also loose - you'd be pushing ALOT.

How much stuff do you put in your tires and tubes to reduce flats?
I ran about 4ozs of slime in each of my tubless tires and my freind ran regular slimed tubes. We ran over alot of cacti but no flats :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts