Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Non non normal
10,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I stayed in a really nice Bed and Breakfast last night after a wedding. We were around 1 1/2 hours from home but decided to help clean up the entire box trailer of themed wedding stuff that was hauled into the venue.

Anyway, I decided that I am just not a B&B kind of guy. I am not impressed that I am in a house built by some business owner 100 years ago. I want privacy, a nice tv, bathroom, and a chair to sit in, all in a private room. That is all I need to make me happy. What we got was a frilly room with squeaky floors, no tv, a bathroom up the hallway (just for our use), and the ability to hear all the other guests walk up the steps and open and close the doors of their rooms. Breakfast was good, but I just wasn't enjoying the forced meal with strangers. The whole experience feels like a boarding house to me, not luxury.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
You were expecting luxury?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Years ago my friends and I travelled through Ireland staying exclusively at B&Bs. We did it because they were they were the cheapest option BY FAR. Our experience was much like yours but that was exactly what we were expecting.

I've never stayed at a B&B here in the states and never did understand why "B&B" carries a high end connotation here.

My wife and I have really enjoyed staying at Air B&B places. You get your own apartment and none of the forced interaction with owners or other guests. I think it's a great way to travel although I do empathize with neighborhoods that have to grapple with the issues of such transient "neighbors".

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Years ago my friends and I travelled through Ireland staying exclusively at B&Bs. We did it because they were they were the cheapest option BY FAR. Our experience was much like yours but that was exactly what we were expecting.

I've never stayed at a B&B here in the states and never did understand why "B&B" carries a high end connotation here.

My wife and I have really enjoyed staying at Air B&B places. You get your own apartment and none of the forced interaction with owners or other guests. I think it's a great way to travel although I do empathize with neighborhoods that have to grapple with the issues of such transient "neighbors".
My parents took an Ireland trip last September and went the B&B route. They really enjoyed it, especially since the traditional Irish breakfasts were huge.

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,798 Posts
When I travel for pleasure, I go the B&B route. It's a great way to intimately learn about the area from a local source and avoid the typical tourist traps.

·
Non non normal
10,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You were expecting luxury?
I was expecting a higher level experience than what I received. When you are paying the equivalent of a high end hotel, there is a raised expectation. I think what you are paying for is not what I was looking for.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I was expecting a higher level experience than what I received. When you are paying the equivalent of a high end hotel, there is a raised expectation. I think what you are paying for is not what I was looking for.
Seems like you had a bad experience with one B&B in particular. That doesn't mean of course that every B&B out there is bad.

·
Super Moderator
40,838 Posts
My wife and I stayed in a really nice Bed and Breakfast last night after a wedding. We were around 1 1/2 hours from home but decided to help clean up the entire box trailer of themed wedding stuff that was hauled into the venue.

Anyway, I decided that I am just not a B&B kind of guy. I am not impressed that I am in a house built by some business owner 100 years ago. I want privacy, a nice tv, bathroom, and a chair to sit in, all in a private room. That is all I need to make me happy. What we got was a frilly room with squeaky floors, no tv, a bathroom up the hallway (just for our use), and the ability to hear all the other guests walk up the steps and open and close the doors of their rooms. Breakfast was good, but I just wasn't enjoying the forced meal with strangers. The whole experience feels like a boarding house to me, not luxury.

Thoughts?
I've similar sentiments, B&Bs just aren't for me, either. NTTAWWT.

Edit: The B&B digs I've seen were mostly fine, but I like more privacy, and anonymity at breakfast. The last ones we stayed at, we skipped the breakfasts altogether.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have a single B&B experience....in Gooding Idaho. That should be enough info for me to end the story there, but I will add a couple of details.
It was a former brothel built during the early 1900's to accommodate the railroad traffic. Every nail in the building was loose and squeaked like the ghosts of a thousand *****s were still vigorously doing business.
The bathroom was a travesty, and the aforementioned train rolled through every 3-4 hours, literally just outside the window. If the window wasn't painted shut I could have hit the train with a pillow as it screamed down the track. The road outside did not have RR crossing lights or arms so the conductor was sure to blow that whistle long and hard.
After a sleepless night I got up and found that there was a pair of men's, leopard print thong underwear in the sheets with me. Who knows what I had been rolling around in, the sheets had obviously not been changed. I get the willies just thinking about it. To this day I will completely unmake the bed in any hotel I stay in just to be sure there isn't any "leftovers" from the last guy.

Never again with the B&B. Never, ever, again.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Me, too. We've stayed at a few, and sometimes had a nice time talking with the owners and the other guests. But if you don't hit it off, or don't have much in common, or just feel like you want privacy, they can be uncomfortable.

We stayed at one for a graduation weekend, when there weren't many rooms to be had. We had to leave early each day, and the owner seemed offended that we weren't there to enjoy his breakfast-making skills. It was kind of weird.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
B & B's in Yurp are great for those of us looking to cut cost and nothing like those in the US (generally speaking).

The advantage of B & B's in the US (which are basically "Inns" and/or converted old mansions and farm houses) can be that you can get a location you could never get with a hotel because it either would never be approved by local zoning or would be disgusting if it was.
Examples would be the side of a nice quiet lake, mountain side, or the center of a quaint Vermont small town. A hotel, while more comfortable, just doesn't belong there so if location matters a B & B is your best choice for such locations.

I don't like typical American B & B's either but I don't like staying off an exit from the highway and commuting to where I'm there to see either so prefer B & B's to the alternative frequently for rural travel.

I pretty much stay at only B & B's in Europe when possible. They're just cheaper than hotels and I don't care about modern and extras.
I'm not really clear on the technical difference between B & B and Hotel in Europe. Some of them B & B's seem to be just old no frills hotels to me.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I'm actually in the process of booking rooms for my wedding. While our reception is in our favorite B&B place because it looks out of a storybook, is filled with great people and the farm to table cooking is first class, I'm going to stay in a more modern non-squeaky no shared bathroom boutique hotel in town. Not a chain hotel but modern rooms, large bathroom suites with modern showers, balcony, AC, etc..

Since I'm locking out the place I've been told I have to take the four upstairs rooms. I think I am going to give them to some of our wedding guests on the house.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I've always liked B&Bs. My cousins ran an Inn/B&B on Cape Cod. My parents would drop me off there for weeks at a time in the summer, while they went back to the city to work. Full on restaurant, pool, and we could bike to the beach. Also stayed at a pretty sweet one with a college girlfriend in St. Augustine, FL.

Maybe I just have fond memories b/c I stay at a Marriott in a random city almost every week for work. Thank the lord for the concierge floor.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
One really good B & B experience I had was traveling though Newfoundland.

Apparently, anyone with an extra bed can hang out a B & B sign and take in people in Newfoundland. Many of these place were clearly just someone's house and the room was an extra bed probably that of a kid who just went away to college or something like that.

This was off season so I was the only person in many of them (and some seemed to only have room to take in one person anyway).
It was weird sharing a house with people who lived there at first but what made it great was the people were just so darn nice and welcoming. Still kind of weird to over hear their phone conversations and be part of other day to day routine stuff that happens in private houses though.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Lately my trips back to England have involved B&B's in the Surrey/Sussex area and they've all been great places to stay. My only problem was the massiveness of the "full English breakfasts" since I like to ride in the mornings.

In the example below, I'd told the cook to hold the potatoes. It features sausages, bacon, beans, tomato, black pudding, mushrooms, and scrambled egg, with a little toast, juice and coffee on the side.

Food Cuisine Serveware Meal Ingredient

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
We did B&B in Sedona on our honeymoon because the available hotel rooms were too pricey - so you can stumble upon a small-time operation with availability if you are tied to dates and place.

We stayed at "Canyon Wren" -I don't mind plugging it since they were great, and price is great. They are up Oak Creek Canyon, just a little bit up from Sedona proper, very close to Sterling Pass and just a bit down from Slide Rock. They actually have three or four separately-standing micro-cabins on their modest plot of land - so you are not wall-to-wall with the next patrons.

Likewise, Serenity Inn just outside of Wimberley, TX has indiv units, and is pretty good. I have not been back to Wimberley since their big flood a year ago - try to get an update if you consider Wimberley yet again. Serenity Inn is at quite an elevation above town, and I am sure they were not flooded.

·
Eddy 53:11
3,165 Posts
I -think- B&B's are over romanticized especially amongst the older generations who harken back to a time I can't remember.

I'm a Marriott guy. Although my experience at small UK hotels out in the country leave me with found and quaint memories. I'll be staying at one I've stayed at before for 8 nights here soon. I'm pretty excited. The English countryside is so damn pretty especially when I have a good running route.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
What's so special about the concierge floor? Quieter?
Free breakfast, free newspapers and magazines, free fruit/water/soda throughout the day, free "Heavy hordevres" in the evening, sometimes free booze at happy hour, and usually on the top floor with giant windows, so a good view.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts