Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
playing Planet Caravan in my underwear (got rained out doing some roofing, darn) and I notice the B string on my tele wont stay in tune after a few vibrato's. Also, my fingers smell funny (not kode) after playing my guitar and I washed them before hand. I reckon it's time to change string's i just hate how djangally they are at first.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
At least you aren't having problems with your G-string!

Ha ha.

That's why they invented locking tremolos. What can help is to put some graphite in the nut when you string it. Just scrape a pencil tip with a razor blade into the string slots in the nut, insert string, then blow away the excess.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mohair_chair said:
At least you aren't having problems with your G-string!

Ha ha.

That's why they invented locking tremolos. What can help is to put some graphite in the nut when you string it. Just scrape a pencil tip with a razor blade into the string slots in the nut, insert string, then blow away the excess.
holy chit i thought my OP was full of coad!

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Yep, rub graphite on your sticky nut.

And if playing with it makes your fingers stink, you need to be careful to wipe it after you finish. Every time, not just when you feel like it.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bikeboy389 said:
Yep, rub graphite on your sticky nut.

And if playing with it makes your fingers stink, you need to be careful to wipe it after you finish. Every time, not just when you feel like it.
that's what SHE said!

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
If i play the DAC version of "please come to boston" is it still lame or lamerer?

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,285 Posts
Put on new strings. Eat fried chicken. Play ninth chords. Jangliness gone!

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mapei said:
Put on new strings. Eat fried chicken. Play ninth chords. Jangliness gone!
how would you position your fingers for this E9 chord w/out using your thumb?

·
Burning Fists of Love
6,899 Posts
clarify please

That smell you get, does it resemble burnt hair or plastic.

NO, this is not a joke, there is a reson while I ask.

IF you get the smell stronger and vibraoto or using the bar, you have a repair issue that needs to addressed fast. IMO, sounds like you may have a elctronic issue in the body of the instrument (not code).

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ttug said:
That smell you get, does it resemble burnt hair or plastic.

NO, this is not a joke, there is a reson while I ask.

IF you get the smell stronger and vibraoto or using the bar, you have a repair issue that needs to addressed fast. IMO, sounds like you may have a elctronic issue in the body of the instrument (not code).
No, it's more of a musty earthy fishy smell...if i smellt something burning in the guts of my tele i'd know what it is since i soldered the ground w/ my homemade soldering gun made from a fishing bobber and spark plug.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
aliensporebomb said:
Welcome to the world of guitars. It's possibly also an intonation related issue.,
i can play black magic woman better than Santana so that can't be it.

·
Super Moderator
40,842 Posts
gutfiddle said:
Middle finger on the low E, index on the A-flat, and barre the rest with your ring finger.

·
9,416 Posts
gutfiddle said:
Middle finger on the A string, index finger on the D string, bar the others with your ring finger.

·
9,416 Posts
gutfiddle said:
No, it's more of a musty earthy fishy smell...if i smellt something burning in the guts of my tele i'd know what it is since i soldered the ground w/ my homemade soldering gun made from a fishing bobber and spark plug.
I know the smell you're getting. It's the smell of corrosion rubbing off on your fangers. I was serious that you need to get a cloth and wipe down the strings after playing. You're getting sweat and oil on them and its making them corrode. They'll still do it after a while, but good wipe after playing helps a lot.

Also, there's a decent chance your string won't stay in tune because it's just old and lost its elasticity. Change them.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
xxl said:
Middle finger on the low E, index on the A-flat, and barre the rest with your ring finger.
thanks!

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bikeboy389 said:
I know the smell you're getting. It's the smell of corrosion rubbing off on your fangers. I was serious that you need to get a cloth and wipe down the strings after playing. You're getting sweat and oil on them and its making them corrode. They'll still do it after a while, but good wipe after playing helps a lot.

Also, there's a decent chance your string won't stay in tune because it's just old and lost its elasticity. Change them.
just a cotton rag? should i put mineral spirits on it? pledge? spit? they are turning green, i'm thinking they just need changed, my hands are very *oily*

·
9,416 Posts
gutfiddle said:
just a cotton rag? should i put mineral spirits on it? pledge? spit? they are turning green, i'm thinking they just need changed, my hands are very *oily*
Just a cotton rag is fine. Nothing fancy. You'll get corrosion eventually anyway--probably pretty fast there in FL--but a little wipe will prolong the life of your strings.

In the winter around here, I don't have to wipe my strings ever. In the summer, I sometimes do, but generally just playing regularly keeps them shiny.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.