Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new on this forum and just made the decision to get back into cycling after 20 years. I used to race road, velodrome and some mountain bike in the eighties and early nineties.
I moved to the USA 10 years ago (from South Africa) and have a Gary Fisher MTB which I road very seldom.
I just pulled the trigger on a 2016 Cannondale CAAD8 105 which I will pick up in a few days. Cannot wait!
Looking forward to learn and gain some knowledge here. Will take a while for this over 50 guy to get back into shape.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi, I am new on this forum and just made the decision to get back into cycling after 20 years. I used to race road, velodrome and some mountain bike in the eighties and early nineties.
I moved to the USA 10 years ago (from South Africa) and have a Gary Fisher MTB which I road very seldom.
I just pulled the trigger on a 2016 Cannondale CAAD8 105 which I will pick up in a few days. Cannot wait!
Looking forward to learn and gain some knowledge here. Will take a while for this over 50 guy to get back into shape.
Great move! You'll love it. A long time ago, when I got back into riding, I got a book called Cycling Past 50 by Joe Friel. I found it to be very helpful and here I am cycling past 70.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great move! You'll love it. A long time ago, when I got back into riding, I got a book called Cycling Past 50 by Joe Friel. I found it to be very helpful and here I am cycling past 70.
Thank you Soaring Vulture. I will look into it. That is my desire to cycle past 70.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Another vote for Cycling Past 50.

Welcome back to riding. Try to focus on enjoying riding, not comparing your performance to what you used to do. You may eventually be able to better in some aspect but depending on how out of shape you are it may take a while. I came back at 40 and it took me five years to get sort of close to where I'd been. However that was not my goal at the outset. I just wanted to get in better shape for motorcycle competition.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, ericm979, I 100% agree... my aim is to enjoy this and get fit and healthier. I went for a 12mile ride on the MTB...was rough... I have to remind myself to pace myself and take it easy. Competitive spirit...cannot reclaim what I have lost in 20 years in a week or two.
Just picked up a copy of "Cycling Past 50" from the bookstore. Have to do some flying the next few days and it will be good reading.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts