Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, two years ago I moved to cycling paradise. There is really only one ride from home road bike route, but it is amazingly epic - beautiful mountain scenery, perfect curves, and lots of climbing. The last stretch back to home has a 13% grade! I can also hop on my mountain bike and climb 1000ft on a dirt road with tons of trail acess. Two years ago, I was in great shape and this place was a playground.

Last summer, I had a nasty appendectomy and was off the bike for six weeks. I lost a good bit of fitness, so I figured I'd lay off the road bike for a bit and ease back into exercise by riding my mountain bike up the 1000ft of dirt road. On my 2nd ride, I pulled a newbie on a decent and managed to tear my shoulder badly.

So, here I am, months later. I can ride as long as I stay off trails, but I am concerned that even riding up the dirt road in my granny gear will raise my heart rate too much for the LSD that I need to be doing. I have a bike in the basement hooked up to a computrainer that I bought back when I lived in a place with a 6 month winter, but I never really used it much because I moved to this paradise soon after buying it. I have gone down and done some rides on it, but 45 minutes is about max for me before I start getting crotch numb.

So, those are my parameters:

1. 45 mins a day (7/7 if need be) on the controlled environment of a trainer
2. 1000ft of dirt road on my mountain bike that, right now, would be hard to keep my HR under 85% of max for 15% of the ride
3. Endless miles of steep, windy roads that I know I am not ready for (fitness and my knees need to be broken in slowly)

Given these, what would you do to get back in good shape? If you can, please give me %of max HR ranges.

Much thanks in advance
:)

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
You're really overthinking this.

I'm guessing by the tone of your post that you're not interested in racing, or even long charity rides. You just want to be in shape, right?

Training is for athletes. You're a regular guy, so go do what is fun and ease into the intensity or duration. A high intensity MTB ride that only lasts 45 minutes 5 times a week will not beat you up too bad. The whole idea of base mileage, restricting HRs and doing very specific zones is really for serious athletes.

Silas

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SilasCL said:
I'm guessing by the tone of your post that you're not interested in racing, or even long charity rides. You just want to be in shape, right?

Training is for athletes. You're a regular guy, so go do what is fun and ease into the intensity or duration. A high intensity MTB ride that only lasts 45 minutes 5 times a week will not beat you up too bad. The whole idea of base mileage, restricting HRs and doing very specific zones is really for serious athletes.
Yeah, I guess I should have specified my goals more clearly. My primary goal right now is to get back to the level of fitness that I was at before this long haitus. Not easy to define, but I can provide an example: a big ride for me is a local out and back road ride - 50 miles 6000ft of climbing - med-high wind. I could do this ride at roughly 15mph - I was working on getting that speed up when I had my surgery. That prior level of fitness is now long lost and I am eager to get back there as quickly, yet safely as possible. I know that if I jump back on my road bike and just go back to it, I will blow out my knees (given the steep local riding conditions). It has been a long time since I had to start at zero fitness and work my self back up so I am looking for whatever advice people can provide.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts