Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the important details. I live in Colorado, weigh 270 pounds, 49 years old.

I have got 300 miles under my belt this year probably 50-50 split between a road and mountain.

I suck at climbing. I need to get better. What should I be doing besides just riding.

What do you suggest? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Here are the important details. I live in Colorado, weigh 270 pounds, 49 years old.

I have got 300 miles under my belt this year probably 50-50 split between a road and mountain.

I suck at climbing. I need to get better. What should I be doing besides just riding.

What do you suggest? Thanks in advance.
It will be tough to be a decent climber at your weight. How tall are you? In addition to riding more, losing weight should be a focus.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will be tough to be a decent climber at your weight. How tall are you? In addition to riding more, losing weight should be a focus.
I'm not looking to be the next Contador. To be honest and I know every ounce counts I don't have that much to lose. So what training tips do you have?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I'm not looking to be the next Contador. To be honest and I know every ounce counts I don't have that much to lose. So what training tips do you have?
Step 1 - Ride Rest Repeat. 1 day on, 1 day off - increase weekly volume (miles) 10% or so each week.
Step 2 - Every 3rd week cut your volume in half for that week and then go back to step 1

Unless you are 6'9" tall, at 270# you can lose weight. You may choose not to for personal reasons but that will impact what is possible to achieve in the way of cycling performance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts