Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is great to be on and I love my new bike (Bianchi) Question for experienced riders.. What is a good training regimen to shoot for before going out with a group (never ever have) . I just started doing 15 miles loops as a start daily around our Swamp ( Great Swamp National Wildlife Preserve in NJ ). We have hills, flats, birds.. all just 40 miles from NYC. Anyway.
What should I shoot for to build up stamina then join a ride.. 25 miles in how many minutes, 40 miles in how many minutes..I realize this is an individual question.. but someone could say.. a beginner should be able to do this, an intermediate should do that.. normal club rides are at this speed, average.. I am so new that I have no idea. I remember doing 20 miles of hills and flats in an hour when I rode a few years ago.

· scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
This is similar to the other day. More mileage the better. But this is a very very open ended subjective question because we know nothing about the group ride you want to join. Is it a MS150 type ride, or is it a hammerfest you are seeking. The path to success in those rides are dramatically different. So, if I were you, I would ask yourself what you want to do.

Generally speaking, I would work towards being able to ride comfortably for 2 hours. The average speed is a pandora's box as it is impacted by weather, terrain, traffic, etc... and thus is a very inaccurate measure of fitness. So, this will be a sufficient start for most leisurely to beginner/easy group rides that top out in the 15-16mph range.

You have ridden before, so I think you know... If you could do 20+ miles an hour a few years ago, I think that is where you will try and go. Therefore, as long as you dont have a bunch of weight hampering you, I dont see why it would be that difficult to get back to that point. You know hard efforts, so just go hard if thats where you want to go.

Computers are often a trap. Too many numbers often serve to hinder those that get hung up on numbers. They look at everything and try to garner some type of meaning when... since they are beginning or somewhat uninformed... they dont realize how wide their standard deviation is from ride to ride. Once you get riding for a while and establish a baseline... you will start to know where you are comfortable, where you are not... and then at that time... you can start to look at numbers and what they mean relative to your fitness and ability.

So... get out and ride. If you want to get faster, ride harder, ride longer... dont get hung up on numbers.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thks Funk

My motto during ski season has always been TOS, which means Time on Slopes.( got in 35 days this season, 45th season) . I agree TOB.. , Time on Bike.. just ride..buiild it up .. and it will fall into place.. so that said I am a few minutes from my ride..Rdgs and Thanks for advice

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Day 3 , 21 miles

Just came in from a ride.. Re: group ride..let's see what I can do over the next few weeks..
I think after a few days I'll get some friends who are better and will not drop me.. then perhaps later will come a group. I do have some work to do.. What is so great is I still love it ( unlike my trying to play golf) so the impetus is there to get out and ride.. Our roads here are amazing also..the Great Swamp is perhaps 10 miles by 5 miles wide surroaded by country like roads with farms etc.I live on the busy end of it. . I will read the book mentioned as yes I am over 50 ..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.