Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a good deal on a lemond zurich frame off ebay. swapped over from my giant TCR and it's been great. i actually used to have a zurich but thought i would never go back to steel again.

it's very smooth ride; smooth and connected rather than smooth and floating as was the case with carbon.

the zurich is much heavier, i am sure (haven't weighed it yet) but, don't notice the difference on the hills.

it doesn't have that zip! to every pedal stroke like carbon. kind of miss that, but then again, each effort is met by forward momentum.

descents are a joy. deliberate and comfortable cornering. good bye edgy TCR.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Very slick.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had a 1999 Zurich, it was my third road bike i ever owned and my finest ride ever, but I sold it before I knew that. I have had 5 bikes since (4 steel and 1 titanium) and have yet to replicate the perfect feel the Zurich gave.

Since they introduced carbon into their zurich frames I have lost interest in a new one but often keep my eye out for an old steel 853 frame.

Congrats and enjoy.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
it's been kind of deduced indirectly or some thing like that that steel is innefficient compared to CF Ti, Al, mixture, etc.

bottom line, its not

everything is interrealated and that extra comfort pays off, especially on longer rides.

what the hell is an extra 0.58432195832532 lb?

Nada....

·
What the Hell is going on
5,016 Posts
Or it could be . . .

Maybe it's the design of the LeMond that makes the difference. I'm 6'2" with, I guess, a long torso and arms. I love my '99, 61cm Zurich with a 60.5cm top tube and 13cm stem. With the advent of compact frames the top tubes are getting shorter. Even with a 14cm stem on my XL '01 Schwinn Fastback, I still feel strunched up a bit. Do they make a 15cm stem?

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
685 Posts
Nice bike. I've always liked those steel "Lemonds", especially the panel work. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Nice fork... Mine should be coming today!

·
Roadcyclist
412 Posts
nice bike yamaha mike..

btw i just built up mine too.

i have the Time VXR'06, but somehow i missed the feeling of my good old Viner.
didn't want to spend a bomb on it, so built up with Shimano 105 '06 groupo

it's a Viner EOM16.5 steel, with 'custom' paint job;)

·
Incredibly slow
545 Posts
Maverick said:
btw i just built up mine too.

i have the Time VXR'06, but somehow i missed the feeling of my good old Viner.
didn't want to spend a bomb on it, so built up with Shimano 105 '06 groupo

it's a Viner EOM16.5 steel, with 'custom' paint job;)
I think the wheels are way too subtle

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
nice lemond. tryin to make up yor mind on the bar tape? cinelli makes a a red/black combo. i have blue/yellow zurich with matching bar tape and red wheels. talk about too many colors but it is slowly becoming my favorite ride.

maverick
please post a ride review on your viner after about 300 miles. the viner looks cool and you can't beat 16.5. i had a steel fondriest like that. cool

·
Roadcyclist
412 Posts
cmg...

the viner 16.5 is actually my 2nd bike with fresh new paint job and low budget 105 yr'06 components

unlike a normal steel bike, the 16.5 is a little onthe harsh side. possibly due to the Deda EOM 16.5 ultra thin tubes. i have approx 2000miles on it.

the bike weigh in at 18.0lbs wth the Cosmic wheelset. not too bad i guess.

cheers

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have to ask ... Maverick, can you tell me where you got the Carbone SLs with the white decals??? All the dealers I've spoken with can only seem to get these wheels with the yellow decals, which would look horrible on my bike. I'd love to get my hands on a set with white decals like yours, if possible. Thanks in advance for the help and sorry for the hijack.

·
Roadcyclist
412 Posts
BrianT...about the decals

they are customized too..
got rid of the original yellow Mavic stickers and got them customized using reflective type.
which i think is safer (for night riding)

a little different from the rest, i guess..

cheers:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts