Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i stand and climb for an extended period of time especially on steep hills i get a really sore lower back. I was just wondering if anyone knew why this was happening or if there is anything i can do to prevent it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
this is very common during climbing...I believe it is due to tiredness in your glutes and having your back muscles start to take over. I get the same thing...not sure there is anything that can be done.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Get a stability ball and do a few minutes of core work in the morning before work and a little after you ride.

After a few days your core will be significantly stronger and you'll experience less back pain. Weak core muscles are one of the main causes for back pain.

Just a thought.

·
leon2982
230 Posts
Weight Training for Cyclists

I had lower-back pain for over 30 years until I started following the program in this book. Several of the exercises I believe are the reason for my strengthened lower-back. I would guess the plank, supine bridge, and prone cobra are three of them. I do believe the other post about your lower-back pain being rooted in the gluteus muscles and/or flexibility. In addition I started using a foam roller and self myofascial release exercises as described in the book. This has all been a godsend for me; really a major improvement in pain reduction and overall fitness. I am 50 years old and haven't felt this good since high school. I have not had any pain since the first week or two of the program and I feel much stronger and leaner overall. I also dropped about 15 pounds.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
parfike said:
when i stand and climb for an extended period of time especially on steep hills i get a really sore lower back. I was just wondering if anyone knew why this was happening or if there is anything i can do to prevent it.
Stand and climb for an extended period of time on steep hills more often. Doing core exercises might strengthen your back muscles, but it doesn't address the real issue, which is that you are excessively recruiting back muscles because your legs aren't strong enough.

When your back does get sore, a good one hour stroll can do wonders to loosen things up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts