Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just started out seriously trying to get into the sport. I am about to join a team most likly. However, recently i have been getting a pain in my lower back. I know that i need to get the stem switched out for a shorter one, but just havent had time. Is this what is possibly causing the pain? If not, what is and what can i do about it? I dont know if i can continue to ride if i keep getting this pain.
Please help me

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
runnerboy16 said:
I have just started out seriously trying to get into the sport. I am about to join a team most likly. However, recently i have been getting a pain in my lower back. I know that i need to get the stem switched out for a shorter one, but just havent had time. Is this what is possibly causing the pain? If not, what is and what can i do about it? I dont know if i can continue to ride if i keep getting this pain.
Please help me
Go to a shop that can fit you properly on the bike. Make sure you find one that knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
459 Posts
runnerboy16 said:
Please help me
If you've been fitted and if the pain continues a valid option is start doing some sit-ups. I spent a lot of money getting fit to my bike and turns out that my seat was a 5mm to far back. It temporarly fixed the problem. When the pain returned, my friend who is trainer, pointed out some basic exercise routine and so far after a 2 years the pain has not returned. knock on wood.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Core strength

As others said, fit and core strength. For core strength, do crunches, alternate side crunches, and superman (lay on stomach with arms outstreched, lift and hold legs and arms). Another exercise to deal with sore back is to lie on your back and try to press the small of your back into the floor - hold and repeat many times.

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
... and on top of all that, I'll say stretch your hamstrings.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
runnerboy16 said:
Please help me
Do a seach for bike fit and back pain. This has been discussed many times, and you'll do well by reading other people's experiences.

However, I should note that the belief that shorter reach / higher handlebar = less back pain is not true in general.

Best of luck in your search for a solution.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
What helped me the most was yoga, pilates, and the gym. I strengthened my core, abs, stomach, upper legs, shoulders. When you strengthen your shoulders and upper legs you are strengthening your back. I also do judo, brazilian jiu jitsu, and grappling and the yoga and stretches I learned help out tremendously.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Bang on Kerry...I'm currently dealing with a disk problem in my back and my chiro has me doing the superman's and pelvic tilts (pressing small of back into floor)...One thing she recommended not doing was full sit-up because they tend to work the hip flexors more then your abs...Now that might be special for me because I have tight hip flexors which are also affecting my back situation...

In short core strength work and stretching are the way to go once you confirm your fit on the bike isn't contributing to the problem..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts