Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything else to worry about with the back tire slipping?

I have 100psi in my tires. I don't know if it's only when I ride through small groves in the rode but it feels like the back is slipping out from underneath me. My buddy was riding behind me and noticed it, he asked if I was skidding, I told him I wasn't sure but it sure made me nervous. :(

The roads were dry and clean so I'm not sure what's happening. I checked my back tire, the quick release is tight, the tire is mounted on the rim properly. Any ideas?

·
sometimereader
1,202 Posts
Possible cause is the pressure has dropped a bunch since you inflated the tire. If a 23 tire gets much under 70psi, it can feel pretty squirrelly.

Also, I know you think the tire is mounted correctly, but double check that. Make sure the witness line on your tire is uniformly spaced from the rim on both sides. Make sure you have no tire cuts that could allow the tube to protrude.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
When I had a maxxis xenith hors categorie on my rear wheel, I was slipping (power spinning) my wheel on several occasions in wet/dry, incline/flat, smooth/gravel, varying pressures... you name it... This was easily over the span of 1000 miles, so it wasn't a fluke or an accident due to new tyre resins, etc.

Get a grippy tire. Vittoria Open Corsa CX on the rear solved the problem for me, but YMMV.

P.S. I'm 5'6 125 lbs, and I don't think I was cranking out PRO watts when this was happening.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
lalahsghost said:
When I had a maxxis xenith hors categorie on my rear wheel, I was slipping (power spinning) my wheel on several occasions in wet/dry, incline/flat, smooth/gravel, varying pressures... you name it... This was easily over the span of 1000 miles, so it wasn't a fluke or an accident due to new tyre resins, etc.

Get a grippy tire. Vittoria Open Corsa CX on the rear solved the problem for me, but YMMV.

P.S. I'm 5'6 125 lbs, and I don't think I was cranking out PRO watts when this was happening.
you were spinning up a tire on DRY and possibly SMOOTH roads?

really?

you sure it wasn't bumpy and you were bouncing off the bumps?
i rode vittoria rubinos for a bit, and they were insanely slippery on wet roads, paint, man hole covers...but they never ever slipped on dry roads.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
cxwrench said:
you were spinning up a tire on DRY and possibly SMOOTH roads?

really?

you sure it wasn't bumpy and you were bouncing off the bumps?
i rode vittoria rubinos for a bit, and they were insanely slippery on wet roads, paint, man hole covers...but they never ever slipped on dry roads.
I put the whole gamut because it happened over a dozen times before I replaced the rear tire, and I could not replicate the results in all but one of the situations (standing up while climbing a hill). Those tires sure taught me the feeling of loosing traction on many types of conditions (the feel you get when your tire slips going up a snowy hill). Oddly enough, they never saw snow :confused:

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
i remember that maxxis tires we used when i worked for kodak/sierra nevada seemed to have a lot of 'mold release' or something like that on them when new, but it went away pretty quickly. i wonder if you got some tires from a possibly 'off spec' batch? it must have been pretty confidence killing to have that happen in a straight line, not to mention cornering!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts