Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<table width="700" border="0"><tr><td>Got out for a downtown drive-about for the first time in what seems like forever. Did some exploring both around L.A. and a little southeast in Vernon (trying to follow the L.A. River).

<hr size="1" width="600">

Oak Street at Washington Blvd., just after we got off the freeway.

Same building.

Ibid.

An alley off Pico Blvd. Based on all the trash, I have a feeling this is a bustling marketplace on Saturdays.

Naomi Ave. at 12th St.

14th St. at Elwood St. You can imagine it's not too often you see someone rolling through on a bike. After he passed, I jacked him for it, then sold the bike on Broadway for a bag of oranges and knockoff Reeboks.

14th and Elwood again.

11th St. at Lemon St., a few minutes before a short train rolled by.

I got a hardcore shoulder tap from Railroad police for taking pics of trains at the L.A. river, so I didn't grab any while the train was approaching. But then the engineer waved to me so I realized I could have gotten a few off (not code).

14th St. and Santa Clara St., one long block south of the last few shots.

Following the L.A. River into Vernon.

Vernon, CA. Instead of being gritty and industrial, it was just industrial. Lame.

The Salvation Army building in Vernon.

Same building. It was like four blocks long ...

... And used to be an INS building.
</td></tr></table>

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<table width="700" border="0"><tr><td>After driving around in Vernon for a while, I wanted to head back to L.A. proper before it started getting dark.

<hr size="1" width="600">

Boyd Street at Mission Road.

Looking up at the 6th St. Bridge.

The 6th St. Bridge, from Mesquit St.

Yes, that is a person in the picture.

I backed down this long alley/tunnel to get to an opening the riverbank. It was way sketchy down here so I coudln't really take my time.

For instance, I would have preferred more reflection in the water on this shot. Ah well. Next time.

Back above ground and in civilization.

Damn sensor dust.

Scoping out a night shot. Too bad I left my tripod at home. Sigh.

Standing over the Harbor Freeway.

OMG

The famous tree of Downtown L.A.

Same tree.
</td></tr></table>

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Home sweet home? You certainly have not lost your touch. The second shot at 14th and Elwood and Boyd Street at Mission Road were my favorites. The light on the metal wall in the first shot and on the window in the second really make them stand out.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Depressing? Chernobyl? Believe it or not, but those are actually great compliments.

GirchyGirchy said:
It's the new Canikon D3498764389D.
I think there's supposed to be an "L" in there somewhere. :cool:

kykr13 said:
Home sweet home? You certainly have not lost your touch. The second shot at 14th and Elwood and Boyd Street at Mission Road were my favorites. The light on the metal wall in the first shot and on the window in the second really make them stand out.
Thanks a lot, kykr. Really.

I almost scrapped the Mission & Boyd shot, but I liked it so decided to post it. Glad you like it.

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts

very nice:thumbsup:

/ as per the usual

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
I don't know how you do it Doc (which is why I'll never be able to be able to make pics (art) like that), but those are just effing amazing. And yeah, Chernobyl. And yeah, it's a huge compliment. just wow.

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Very cool dude... I need to take more pictures now that i have 1.5Tb to fill!

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:
It's the new Canikon D3498764389D.

I thought DocR upgraded to the Mark MXCIIVII

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
sweet. i don't really know why i like your pics when half of them are of garbage.

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
The first two are probably my favorites.

Good call on risking your life to get the riverbed shots. The graffiti down there was pretty cool to see. Next time pack some heat and get more shots. Not koad. :D

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
fishtrax i am not.

edit: oops, forgot the ivy near the curb. oh well.

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
yarble said:
fishtrax i am not.

edit: oops, forgot the ivy near the curb. oh well.
Nice.You need to put a tag on that metal box thingy, though. No way that surface would be completely clean.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I only lurk here on occasion, but felt compelled to log-in to tell you how much I admire your work - I absolutely love several of these photo's - in particular #1, 13, 15 and 6 of the first series. Next stop - your website! Thanks for posting these.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mounz said:
I only lurk here on occasion, but felt compelled to log-in to tell you how much I admire your work - I absolutely love several of these photo's - in particular #1, 13, 15 and 6 of the first series. Next stop - your website! Thanks for posting these.
Wow. Thanks. Means a lot. Feel free to post here more often!

Yarble: Brilliant. Especially the graffiti.

Brick: LOLz.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
I keep coming back to the first 2 & finding more & more to like.

Inspiring.

I need to get out and shoot this weekend

Len

1 - 20 of 40 Posts