Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my post from the beginning of the year...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2003 TdF -- was Lance really dehydrated?

....or were the blood bags (for transfusions) delayed in arriving?

I recently got a copy of the 2003 TdF for my birthday, and wondered what really happened to Lance that year.

O.k., he could have been under-trained due to sorting out family problems; but that's not consistent with his character (or media-portrayed character)...i.e., train regardless of the circumstances. Although, he didn't look so strong at the Dauphine.

Anyone with any ideas or facts?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOOOOOOOOOOO, I'm still trying to figure out what happened. They used the "dehydration" excuse for his losing the first time trial; but if that was a cover-up for his doping, then why did Ullrich wipe him up. Were the other GC contenders finally wising up with their doping protocols???

Realgains....jump in buddy!!!! .....I need suggestions!!!

· Bea Arthur's Army of Evil
236 Posts
jaan_k said:
SOOOOOOOOOOO, I'm still trying to figure out what happened. They used the "dehydration" excuse for his losing the first time trial; but if that was a cover-up for his doping, then why did Ullrich wipe him up. Were the other GC contenders finally wising up with their doping protocols???
I'm not saying Lance didn't dope, but take a look at the video from the 2003 tour first long TT. If Lance's white salt encrusted lips aren't evidence of dehydration, I don't know what is.

· Banned
169 Posts
His crit was high and he needed fluids for two reasons....it was a hard stage and he was likely a little dehydrated but he had to get fluids into him to drop his crit for high 50's or maybe even 60% to a safer level...and to beat any post stage control re:crit.

Pro racers do not get dehydrated to the extend that it was made out to be. They know what they are doing and the dudes in the car monitor every single thing. Pro's don't make such amateur mistakes as getting super dehydrated. They know that nothing drops sustainable power greater than dehydration.

Don't "buy into" all the BS crap that Postal/Discovery and "Lance" spewed out to the public.

Yes Lance...that Kenacort in your blood in 99...it must have come from a saddle cream ..yeah..that's what it was..for sure. Too bad people in the know know that Kenacort is the corticoid of choice in pro cycling and gives the second best advantage aside from a high crit.

UCI would not be accepting a back dated scrip for saddle cream nowadays.

Cheers

· Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
I don't claim to know what was wrong with Armstrong, but I was at the TDF in 2003, and it was fricking HOT. I mean Africa hot, and muggy, too. The roads were literally melting. Beloki had that spectacular crash because of melting tar oozing out of the road. In France alone, they claimed that thousands of people died because of the heat. So trust me, the conditions were perfect for getting dehydration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_European_heat_wave

G

·
mohair_chair said:
I don't claim to know what was wrong with Armstrong, but I was at the TDF in 2003, and it was fricking HOT. I mean Africa hot, and muggy, too. The roads were literally melting. Beloki had that spectacular crash because of melting tar oozing out of the road. In France alone, they claimed that thousands of people died because of the heat. So trust me, the conditions were perfect for getting dehydration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_European_heat_wave
Was the 2003 Tour held in August :confused:

· haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
AJL said:
Was the 2003 Tour held in August :confused:
Website clearly says the European heatwave lasted from June - August 2003 and was particularly bad in July and August in France. Looking at the map, France was hardest hit in Europe with many places 10C hotter than normal--a huge amount.

· Registered
2,342 Posts
Realgains said:
Yes Lance...that Kenacort in your blood in 99...it must have come from a saddle cream ..yeah..that's what it was..for sure. Too bad people in the know know that Kenacort is the corticoid of choice in pro cycling and gives the second best advantage aside from a high crit.

UCI would not be accepting a back dated scrip for saddle cream nowadays.
Don't forget allegedly forged too :).
Also worth noting that the Kenacort program (ie. inject it to reduce inflammation, then use "saddle cream" as your lame cover when you get caught) is the same one gaumont alleges was commonplace at Cofidis.

G

·
jorgy said:
Website clearly says the European heatwave lasted from June - August 2003 and was particularly bad in July and August in France. Looking at the map, France was hardest hit in Europe with many places 10C hotter than normal--a huge amount.
Sorry, yes France was hit hardest July-Aug03 w/ +5 to +10C temps above average.

· Banned
608 Posts
Racer C said:
I'm not saying Lance didn't dope, but take a look at the video from the 2003 tour first long TT. If Lance's white salt encrusted lips aren't evidence of dehydration, I don't know what is.
It's evidence he was getting his ass kicked by Ullrich and did not take the time to wet his mouth and lips with his bottle. Simply getting dehydrated will not cause that.

Armstrong had at least a dozen different excuses that Tour. He simply never had enough class to say he was beaten or even had a hard time. There was always an excuse.

· Premium Member
10,106 Posts
AJL said:
Sorry, yes France was hit hardest July-Aug03 w/ +5 to +10C temps above average.
I was at Cap Decouverte on July 18, 2003 for the ITT. I also was at the finish of the previous day's stage in Toulouse. It was hot, extremely hot, both days. If you look at the DVD of the finish in Toulouse, you actually can see waves from the heat. I have no idea whether Armstrong's dehydration on the ITT was drug-related or not. But, I can assure you that it was hot enough to dehydrate me and all that I was doing was standing in the shade.

· Bea Arthur's Army of Evil
236 Posts
Realgains said:
Pro racers do not get dehydrated to the extend that it was made out to be. They know what they are doing and the dudes in the car monitor every single thing. Pro's don't make such amateur mistakes as getting super dehydrated. They know that nothing drops sustainable power greater than dehydration.

Cheers
That's true, but during a TT, you can't hand anything to the rider from the car. Most TT bikes only hold one bottle. I could definitely see getting really dehydrated on a crazy hot day.

· Banned
169 Posts
Racer C said:
That's true, but during a TT, you can't hand anything to the rider from the car. Most TT bikes only hold one bottle. I could definitely see getting really dehydrated on a crazy hot day.

They are offered a lot of water along the way...LOTS. Anyone who allows themselves to get very dehydrated is an idiot to say the least. I will admit to some minor dehydration at times.
Racer..these men are pro's..this is what they do and they all know damn well what dehydration does to their sustainable power. You can get a 10% decrease in sustainable power from only a 2% dehydration.

Do not believe a damn thing Armstrong or Postal said....nothing that is in regards to Lances performance.

Cheers

· Registered
33 Posts
Too Hot?
You've got to be kidding.

Ask Jesus Manzano, or anyone else D1 about Hemopure/Oxyglobin, and how it dries you out.
Ask Chance Legstrong why he sent $$$ and a personal letter to Heinzy Pants concerning dangerous dope after the 2003 tour.
Ask Floyd why he needed 70 bottles of water while riding the peloton off his wheel in '06 (while you're at it, get his '06 teammates drunk and ask them what they think...).

Jeez, you people are killing me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.