Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently there is a back order on my Jamis Ventura sport 51. I can't wait 1-2 months, refuse to.

So he said to look into a Fuji Ace. $560 Here are the specs

Fuji Ace
Main frame Fuji Altair 1 Aluminum with double water bottle mounts

Rear triangle Fuji Altair 1 Aluminum, rack mounts, replaceable derailleur hanger

Fork Fuji custom tapered Cro-Moly, Aero Road

Drivetrain
Crankset RPM Forged Aluminum Road 52/42/30

Bottom bracket Sealed cartridge

Pedals Wellgo Road w/clips and straps

Front derailleur Shimano Sora, 28.6mm for triple

Rear derailleur Shimano Sora, GS for triple

Shifters Shimano Sora 8-speed Shifter/Brake

Cassette/freewheel SunRace 8-speed Cassette, 12-24t

Chain Shimano HG-50

Wheelset
Front hub Fuji Alloy Road, 32h

Rear hub Fuji Alloy Cassette Road, 8-speed, 32H

Spokes Stainless, 14g

Rims DRX 2000 Double Wall Aluminum Road Rims, Black with CNC sidewalls, 32H

Tires Kenda, 700 X 25c

Features
Brake set ProMax Dual Pivot Forged Road

Brake levers Shimano Sora 8-speed Shifter/Brake

Headset Fuji Road, Sealed

Handlebar Alloy Road

Stem Fuji Superlight Road Aluminum, 10 Degree, Removable Clamp

Tape/grip Fuji custom cork wrap

Saddle Fuji Road Sport Anatomical Saddle with Cro-Moly Rails

Seat post Alloy Micro Adjust, 250mm

Seat clamp Fuji Ultralite alloy, 31.8mm, Lazer etched

Frame Weight, lb./kg. 3.9/1.77

Complete Bike Weight, lb./kg. 24.8/11.27

And here is the Jamis Ventura Sport:

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/08_bikes/08venturasport.html

(sorry, Fuji has a retarded Long URL to paste)...

HELP ME DECIDE!

· Registered
673 Posts
just about all bikes that low end are about the same. They all have about the same quality level. Depending on how much you ride it you probably will have trouble with that bike. Just from my experiences these bikes don't last.

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you mean "last" what are you speaking of?

I find it highly unlikely that I NEED to buy a $2000 bike for leisure riding and transportation. What components are we talking about that won't last?

Any help is appreciated, cause I am about to pull my deposit from one LBS and buy it from another shop in a different county

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you have:

Rent, Electric, Car insurance, School, Fuel, maintenance on said vehicle, Lawyer, court, groceries, medical bills, dentist bills.....See where I cam going with this

I need a decent bike....but I don't want a piece of ****. If that is the case, then are you saying a $500 bike is no better than a Department store $189 special?

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought about that, but when I looked at the used bikes here in West Palm Beach, I just didn't like what I was seeing. With no warranty and NO dealer will give a warranty.

I need someone to stand behind what they sell me.

Schwinn still makes decent bikes?

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ahhh...."gently" used is the key word. Here in West Palm Beach when someone says they used it 3 times....it means 300 times. 100 miles...means it has been to hell and back!

I tried looking, but to no avail. What exactly makes the difference between a $500 and a $2000 bike that you can't just upgrade yourself?

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,358 Posts
linux said:
Ahhh...."gently" used is the key word. Here in West Palm Beach when someone says they used it 3 times....it means 300 times. 100 miles...means it has been to hell and back!

I tried looking, but to no avail. What exactly makes the difference between a $500 and a $2000 bike that you can't just upgrade yourself?
Calm down oh ye RPM fiend.

A $5-600 bike will get you in the saddle-but before long you'll be wanting better shifting, better wheels (stiffer and lighter), lighter parts, better pedals, more comfy seat etc etc.

300 miles is nothing for a road bike. Many forum members here and long term Cyclists have mid and upper 5-figure milages on their bikes-they wrench them themselves and keep them in excepllent condidtion. 300 miles of normal use is nothing, unless the bike is kept outside during monsoon season.

A $500 bike from a bike shop is light-years ahead of a department store bike. El Cheapo at Wal-Mart, is usually assembled by some whose knowledge of bikes consists of knowing no more than "righty-tighty, left-loosey". El Cheapo, is made from crap parts, the wheels are seldom tensioned well at all, the brakes and shifters are seldom adjusted as they should for safe operation etc etc etc.

The sad part is that you can often get more for the dollar (usually) by buying new than upgrading parts piece meal.

I bought a frame off ebay from a bike store (new old stock), and the parts and built it-and saved some cash. For my dad, he took one of my old rides, a nice Specialized Sirrus, and made it a road machine--but $$$$ wise didn't save much at all-between cost of parts and the original bike he ended up quite a bit behind what a new road machine at the same level would've cost. BUT, he enjoys the machine, and enjoyed learning the wrenching skills to build it--and it is truely his own. With Upgraditis you just don't notice how much money you spend vs the flat out purchase.

For reference, I ride on a pair of wheels that cost (me, on sale) as much as the bike you posted. Are they overkill? Considering I've ridden over all manner of bumps, black-hole type potholes, etc etc and they have never needed truing or maintenance, at all....I think they were a good investment. You can't say as much for lower end equipment.

· Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
linux said:
That was the single most on topic answer in this thread....I think I need to buy you a Pint!

Your answer just made Jamis another few dollars richer.
Glad to help, but to be fair, other posters offered valid points on both sides of the aisle. IMO going used is somewhat risky, especially if you aren't mechanically adept or can't evaluate the bikes in person.

Get the Jamis, the warranty and the LBS 1st year services - do some minor repairs on your own and have fun riding your new bike!

· Registered
2,480 Posts
WTF is a Fuji Ace? they haven't had it on their website since 2005. Don't pay full price for a bike that is three years old.

If you put a gun to my head, I'd say get the Fuji. Certainly don't pay full price for it though.

If it was me, I'd find a way to find the extra bucks for an Giant OCR 2 or similarly spec'd bike. The bottom end bikes have Sora, which doesn't last long under regular use, and crappier wheels, which require truing and tensioning quite regularly, unless you weigh 95 lbs.

Best bet is used, like everyone else said. If you can find a decent used bike, it will be a much much better deal in the price range and last much longer. Then again, if you don't know squat about bikes and just like antagonizing others on forums, good luck picking out a good used bike.

· Registered
1,627 Posts
$560 seems like a lot of coin to pay for that Fuji. Sora 8-speed? Steel fork? Triple? Like a lot of posters have suggested, there's just no telling how long those bottom-of-the-barrel parts will last. Stuff like ProMax brakes and the bottom bracket and the hubs are very low end, so they might last 1,000 miles or they might last 3,000 miles. Hard to tell.

The Jamis looks like a better deal. At least it's got a compact double crank, the fork is half aluminum and the wheels are from a company I've actually heard of.

Somebody on Miami Craigslist is selling a 51cm Jamis: http://miami.craigslist.org/bik/708407474.html

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
THey want a fotunr to build a bike here, and I have no idea how to put one together properly and safely...then again... someone did give me a number to someone who build them at your home.....hmmm

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.