Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm carrying an ancient alice pack (the green pic) that pretty much fits my books and a uniform sweatshirt, plus water bottle, some odds-n-ends, and small food items in the external pockets. this thing is all beat to hell but still works great. no external frame on this one, but i have affixed a modern pair of alice shoulder straps.

blondie is on a mission to find a "suitable" pack for school. she ordered a small fancy thing from ebags.com and it is tiny and has a really stiff internal frame that can't be removed. it's getting sent back.

upon intarwebs research i've come up with the kelty redwing 3100 at around $55, looks like plenty of room and good reviews. anybody using this pack or another type of kelty?

again, this would be used for lugging around heavy textbooks and notebooks, gear, a pair of running shoes, sweatshirt and possibly some ripe bananas. that is not code.

thanks, HTH, etc etc and like that.

-J

ps my pecs are getting firmer. that is code. no i will not post pec pics.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Not to be all dinosaury or anything, but...

What's the problem with going to a real store, an REI or Cabela's or whatever is in your area, and actually looking at a few backpacks? You find what you want, you get it right away and you don't pay shipping.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cory said:
What's the problem with going to a real store, an REI or Cabela's or whatever is in your area, and actually looking at a few backpacks? You find what you want, you get it right away and you don't pay shipping.
no prollem except i'm not exactly in a major metro cultural center over here. i have checked all the targets/walmarts and the mall. only other places are "outdoorsy" stores that are mostly setup as pro shops with 1000% markups.

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
no prollem except i'm not exactly in a major metro cultural center over here. i have checked all the targets/walmarts and the mall. only other places are "outdoorsy" stores that are mostly setup as pro shops with 1000% markups.
Outdoors is expensive, but you'll find good stuff there. And if you stay away from the pimply staff, you'll get someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Is this one big enough??

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lemonlime said:
Outdoors is expensive, but you'll find good stuff there. And if you stay away from the pimply staff, you'll get someone who actually knows what they're talking about.
i have other reasons for avoiding that chain. goes back to my cx promoter days and sponsorship, aka "grab your ankles".

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
BuckeyeBiker had recommended a Lafuma to me for my daughter, I got one and she LOVES it. They seem to fit flatter to the back while holding LOTS of stuff. That gives the wearer more room to move and seems to keep the weight closer to the body.

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
Are you riding the moto? My friend just picked up one of these, very waterproof but only one large compartment. I don't think it has a frame but it holds its shape pretty well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts