Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in Reno, as in many parts of the West (most of the country, I imagine), there's a growing number of Hispanic groceries, and large Hispanic sections in mainstream supermarkets. I love that food and cook it a lot, so I do about half my shopping there.
BREAKTHROUGH in the bacon world: For $1.49 at one store and $1.99 at another, I got two-pound packs of "bacon ends and trimmings." Just what it sounds like, and not the thing you'd want to put out for Sunday breakfast, but if you spread it on a cooling rack over a baking sheet in a cold oven, then set it for 400 degrees and let it go until the oven gets to temp, then check it every two minutes until it's done the way you want it (it goes fast once it heats up), you'll have a Ziploc bag full of bacon pieces to put in the freezer for soups, salads, beans and garnish, plus a mess o' bacon grease, if you like that sort of thing, for whatever people do with bacon grease.
Obvious punchline here: "It's cheaper than KY Jelly and tastes better, too"

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Ah... you bring back fond memories of my student days in Louisville. We would buy 3 lb packs of Fisher ("The Bacon Makin' People") ends & pieces. We also could get a case of Stroh's for $3.99. Those were the days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts