Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Hammer
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out on a ride today when along side comes this pickup truck and the dude slows down and pulls close to me and yells at me to get off the F****** road. I didn't respond but did notice about a 1/4 mile up the road the light had turned red. So guess who is at the red light ? I pull next to his passager window and ask him what his problem is. He doesn't even look at me so I call him a Little P**** and ask him again what his problem is. Once again no look or answer so I let him know that he has no B**** and that he ain't much of a man when he not moving. So a few seconds later the light turns green and he flips me the bird as he starts to take off. Not to worry because traffic wasn't moving faster than what I could do. I pull next to him and spit on his windshield and told him to pull over if he had a problem, but he took a sudden left and was gone. I very seldom get mad but this dude just rubbed me the wrong way.

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Seems a little extreme to spit on the dude's windshield if all he did was yell at you. I try to ignore most verbal abuse; getting riled up about it is exactly what they want. When a motorist does something to jeopardize my safety and the safety of others, then I'll get ticked off and start to say something.

·
Parked Car Magnet
73 Posts
weapory

I've often contemplated carrying a weapon with me.
But then reality sets in & I think to myself that I wouldn't want to become his beeatch when I go to jail.
Then I say to myself that these badassers are just jealous because they can't afford a bike like mine.

·
Large Suburban Male
4,131 Posts
zipp2001 said:
I was out on a ride today when along side comes this pickup truck and the dude slows down and pulls close to me and yells at me to get off the F****** road. I didn't respond but did notice about a 1/4 mile up the road the light had turned red. So guess who is at the red light ? I pull next to his passager window and ask him what his problem is. He doesn't even look at me so I call him a Little P**** and ask him again what his problem is. Once again no look or answer so I let him know that he has no B**** and that he ain't much of a man when he not moving. So a few seconds later the light turns green and he flips me the bird as he starts to take off. Not to worry because traffic wasn't moving faster than what I could do. I pull next to him and spit on his windshield and told him to pull over if he had a problem, but he took a sudden left and was gone. I very seldom get mad but this dude just rubbed me the wrong way.
I'd say you deserved to get your ass kicked.
You took a pretty minor situation and escalated it way too far.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Pretty much. There are a lot of other posts about people being victims of road rage assaults that start out that way. Cyclists being run off the road or rear ended for flipping some guy the bird, let alone spitting on his windshield.

Sounds like this one was road rage on your part? Other places, other drivers, this could have gone the really wrong way.

So the guy yelled at you. He didn't throw anything, doesn't sound like he really tried to harm you. It happens. He probably yells at cars, too.

So I guess the question is, what's <i>your</i> problem?

·
Registered
96 Posts
i just hate the amount of disrespect cyclist get considering that most cyclist I know are the nicest most down to earth people that would help anyone, we are also helping the environment and not wasting large amounts of gas, I wonder where this enmity towards cyclist from motorist began

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don't get it either - If only these [email protected]# hats had a remote understanding of traffic laws they might make biking a little more pleasant. But that would probably involve reading a basic DMV handbook and that could be a serious road block. Ignoring the dummies are my best advice. I know the OP was pissed but once the jerkoff drove off he is no longer a threat and now the OP becomes the offender. If it would have escaleted the OP could be hung out to dry.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Good job >.<

Now this guy's gonna take a week or two to sit and get goon 'n pissed about this and then he's gonna see me riding my bike, minding my own business and he's gonna see me and remember you and run me over. =-[ ... No but seriously though... aren't we generally kinda trying to avoid this type of thing? Like... doing stuff that's gonna sour the public opinion of cyclists? I mean, don't get me wrong, I know how you feel and I probably woulda been just as angry but bullying cars/drivers isn't going to get us any of the respect or safety we're looking for. Can I get a "+1"???

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
Yer lucky you didn't get yourself hurt or killed.

That truck outweighs you by about 5,000 pounds. History is written by the winners.

So, you provoke him, he runs your @$$ over and kills you. You are dead, so all they get is his side of the story. He gets a suspended DL and no jail time, you continue to be dead.

Good move.

Maybe he was right. Maybe you should get the @#$% off the road.

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
Nah, smile and wave just confuses them.

Works pretty well, too.

If you don't have to continue interacting with an idiot, why prolong it? Smile and wave. Know that the idiot in the car will probably have a heart attack sooner than later, and that the idiot in the car probably has a tiny @#$%.

Yelling at them and spitting on them won't change their opinion, it won't make them stop and think, "wow, I really shouldn't do that!"- More likely, It'll make them think "next time, I'm throwing a bottle."

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
You overreacted and gave all cyclists a bad name. Did you teach him a lesson? Do you think he is going to have positive thoughts regarding cyclists next time he passes? Do you think he will RESPECT cyclists any more... or do you think he is going to be pissed off and tell all of his ******* buddies who will undoubtedly agree with him. You have made the road more dangerous for the rest of us.

This crap happens all the time, and most of the time... yes... its the motorists who feel as if they own the road who overreact. This time you did. Im not sure how many times you have been yelled at in your riding career, but I would be willing to bet I have been yelled at THOUSANDS of times. If I would have spit, flipped off or overreacted like this at every one... I would be dead. You got lucky he didn't get out with a bat, pull into you, pinch you off the side of the road... etc. He has a seatbelt and a vehicle.... your move was not smart.

While I appreciate your protecting cyclists honor, you make us look worse to that driver, and to all the drivers who were around witnessing your freak out.

Be the better man. Plus, dudes cannot fight with clippy shoes.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
buck-50 said:
Nah, smile and wave just confuses them.

Works pretty well, too.

If you don't have to continue interacting with an idiot, why prolong it? Smile and wave. Know that the idiot in the car will probably have a heart attack sooner than later, and that the idiot in the car probably has a tiny @#$%.

Yelling at them and spitting on them won't change their opinion, it won't make them stop and think, "wow, I really shouldn't do that!"- More likely, It'll make them think "next time, I'm throwing a bottle."
+1. I used to yell "Fxxx you buddy!" and flip the bird. I've never chased or spit or challenged someone to a fight though. If someone was going to hook me or did something real bone headed, I might slap their fender, window or hood with my open palm - very noisy, but doesn't dent or damage the car while yelling. Actually, I might still do that if neccessary, but it hardly is because I think I've become pretty good at anticipating potential dangerous situations and avoiding them - I'm a very defensive cyclist in traffic, always assuming the worst.

Nowadays, I wave and smile as if they are paying me a complement. It's almost as satisfying as flipping them off and cursing them, but it is probably more effective since it makes the idiots very confused.

·
Large Suburban Male
4,131 Posts
Eschelon said:
and overly-pacifist *****'s like you deserved to be walked upon and with dirt kicked into your face.
What makes you think I'm an 'overly-pacifist *****'?
Because I said he deserved to have his ass kicked?

Do you think overreacting and being stupidly aggressive is the right course of action?

BTW: you don't need the ' between the ***** and the s.

Moreon

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.