Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone

I will need all your help on this topic so I know what to watch out for when this local mechanic of mine starts throwing some suggestions to get rid of the irritating noise.

I just finished building up a Brand New SL3 Pro Tarmac and I transfered all my existing components along with my Cannondale SL Hollowgram BB30 Crank. If you are familiar with this crank you will know why, I took it for the first time on a very hilly group ride today and it drove me crazy. When ever I stood up to power down on the pedals, it sounded like the bottom bracket was going to fall apart grrrrrr.

I have brand new ceramic bearings by Enduro installed and also brand new cups to hold the bearings all was sold from my Specialized local shop.

Can I get your input as to what might be causing this creaking noise? Is it possible mis alignment on the bearing install??

I dont have a problem replacing the crank if I have to and install an OEM Specialized Sworks Crank, or even maybe Sram Red? as long as I know that its in fact the Crank. I did not have a single problem w this Crank when it was on my Super Six.

I still feel its not the crank but I am not an expert, Prior to this install, I did ask my mechanic if there would be a problem w the Cannondale Crank he said no.

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
245 Posts
I cured a creak that came from the bb by taking off the crank/pedal arms and putting some lube in the holes. Yeah, I said it.

Not the screw hole, the hole in the shaft (pedal arm, you sick f$%k)

Sorry I'm done.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pushpull said:
I cured a creak that came from the bb by taking off the crank/pedal arms and putting some lube in the hole. Yeah, I said it.
Sup Push

I would think that my mechanic made sure that he applied enough grease in that area on a brand new build, I have been with the same mechanic that works on all my bikes, but I will suggest that to him in the AM when I drop off the bike.

Thanks

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
PoorCyclist said:
The LBS can fix this, but the noise will probably come back later

Sup Poor

I just dropped it off today and I told that Son of a gun I dont want to pick it up unless the creaking noise is completely gone. My friend made the same comment regarding that noise coming back, its just the nature of BB30 set up they require more attention than the norml.

I will keep you guys posted when I get my bike back,

Thanks

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
Creaking noises

Midwest Playa said:
I told that Son of a gun I dont want to pick it up unless the creeking noise is completely gone.
Most of the time, a noise that sounds like a creek involves flowing water :)

Creaking noises, OTOH, are usually fixed by grease and proper torque. Have you thought that possibly this could be coming from your pedals, cleats, or shoes? Or any number of other places on the bike?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kerry Irons said:
Most of the time, a noise that sounds like a creek involves flowing water :)

Creaking noises, OTOH, are usually fixed by grease and proper torque. Have you thought that possibly this could be coming from your pedals, cleats, or shoes? Or any number of other places on the bike?

I stand Corrected Creaking noise Thanks

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again Kerry

The bike is in Specialized Bike Source Shop as we speak and its an authorized Specialized dealer so hopefully they can fix this issue because it drove me crazy at yesterday's group ride. My Friends were saying Dang Playa for a $5k bike that thing sound like it came out of Kmart.lol

I will let everyone know if they are able to correct this issue and so I can share it with everyone in case they run into the same situation.

My good friend also mentioned the pedals, I have practically brand new I Clic Titan Time Pedals and I always put a light coat of oil to keep it quiet I learned that form my old Keo Pedals.:)

Please pardon my spelling sometimes just bare w me :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
shabbasuraj said:
But I thought BB30 was the FINAL solution to EVERYTHING wrong with bottom brackets?

Guess not.......

but ya, disassemble and lube everything.

I dont have the tools to break down the bottom Bracket so I am at the mercy of the Specialized mechanic here at my local bike shop, I will definitely keep everyone posted on the status when I get it back.

Thanks

·
Registered
373 Posts
I just solved my creaking problem. I checked my left arm crank and it had a crack in it where it joins the axle. I'm not sure if I was riding on it loose or I overtightened it at one stage. But I suspect both.

Luckily, I found on ebay a brand new 2010 model FSA SLK Carbon BB30 compact crankset for around $300. Deal of the century I think. But i also considered getting a sleeve and going back to normal cranks.

This time I am going to apply some loctite to the bearings and some blue loctite to the left hand bottom bracket bolt. If worst comes to worst and I still get creaking, I will probably sell the cranks and change back to the squared tapered style.

By the way you can build your own bottom bracket bearing press tool for pretty cheap. Heaps of examples online.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bridgey said:
I just solved my creaking problem. I checked my left arm crank and it had a crack in it where it joins the axle. I'm not sure if I was riding on it loose or I overtightened it at one stage. But I suspect both.

Luckily, I found on ebay a brand new 2010 model FSA SLK Carbon BB30 compact crankset for around $300. Deal of the century I think. But i also considered getting a sleeve and going back to normal cranks.

This time I am going to apply some loctite to the bearings and some blue loctite to the left hand bottom bracket bolt. If worst comes to worst and I still get creaking, I will probably sell the cranks and change back to the squared tapered style.

By the way you can build your own bottom bracket bearing press tool for pretty cheap. Heaps of examples online.

Sup Bridgey

Thanks for sharing this info w me I dont think my crank is cracked but I wil definitely tell my tech to do a thorough inspection and apply loctite where its needed.

·
Registered
474 Posts
It may not even be the crank, sounds resonate through carbon. Its possible it's coming from the headset or skewers as well.

I take off my Crank (BB30) every few thousand miles, clean it up and regrease. It tends to get dirt in there after a while.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
wetpaint said:
It may not even be the crank, sounds resonate through carbon. Its possible it's coming from the headset or skewers as well.

I take off my Crank (BB30) every few thousand miles, clean it up and regrease. It tends to get dirt in there after a while.
You didn't have to change the bearing after few thousand miles?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good Evening Everyone

I just got my invoice from my Local bike shop and heres what they did.

attn: nick
-customer called you and let you know what he wanted to do
4/15/2011 6:20:50 PM : Allen, Nick: travis and i were able to recreate creak noise in shop. removed cranks. removed
spider lock ring. cleaned threads, installed loctite. retorqued lockring. reinstalled crank, with 3 spacers and a wavy
washer on the drive side. checked chainring bolts. noise was not able to be recreated after that. also wanted to note
paint chipping on top tube near seatpost under neath sticker. if issue persists bike needs to be checked in for travis
to look at.
THANK YOU!

I will take it for a test ride on Saturday if its not raining and see what happens

·
Registered
395 Posts
When it starts to creak again (and it probably will) it just needs to be taken apart, cleaned very carefully, lubed/greased properly, and reassembled. I have the same crank on a SuperSix and after I ride in very wet or dirty conditions it creaks when I'm out of the saddle.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.