Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Bad Form to Wear a Beer Jersey in a Race?

5K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  bill 
#1 ·
my wife just informed me she washed my only solid colored summer jersey with a pair of our sons velcro sandals. the velcro has eaten holes in the jersey.

the only other jerseys i have are:
- curious george jersey (father's day gift)
- lienine's jersey
- red wool jersey with rainbow stripe cuffs
- blue wool longsleeve
- castelling long sleeve thermal
- yellow long sleeve commuter

do i need to get a new solid colored jersey before my first citizen/Cat5 race?

#2 ·
I don't think there are many snobs in cat. 5. If you listen carefully, however, you might hear mocking from the cat. 3s as they warm up. Wear whichever one is the fastest.

#4 ·
I remember a cat 5 race with a guy wearing a white V-neck undershirt. it was great, he kept taking these crazy fliers off the front. I'm not sure if he ended up finishing, but I appreciated his less than serious approach to the whole thing. my point is that in cat 5, I wouldn't worry about it. wear whatever you want

#5 ·
weltyed said:
my wife just informed me she washed my only solid colored summer jersey with a pair of our sons velcro sandals. the velcro has eaten holes in the jersey.

- lienine's jersey
- blue wool longsleeve

just put trucker nutz on the saddle and you can wear whatever you want :thumbsup:
bonus points if you open a cold brew at the start line.

#12 · (Edited)
weltyed said:
i do have a carib bottle opener on my mtb bike...

Carib. You, my friend, have good taste.

As far as jerseys, I'm still waiting for someone to show up with one of these kits:

http://bp1.blogger.com/_8eNaXmU7cpU/SITz751cBZI/AAAAAAAABYk/oYKBcaiJ2Fs/s1600-h/team+kit.jpg

There's a good cat. 3 racer here who says he'll wear this. Cracks me up. I told him that he had better get his 2 upgrade before he breaks that out.

Serious answer: wear anything you want as long as it's not a team jersey or any kind of national or world championship jersey.

#14 ·
Try to pick up an out of state, state Championship jersey to wear. You know, some obscure state like TN.

#17 ·
Sherpa23 said:
Carib. You, my friend, have good taste.

As far as jerseys, I'm still waiting for someone to show up with one of these kits:

http://bp1.blogger.com/_8eNaXmU7cpU/SITz751cBZI/AAAAAAAABYk/oYKBcaiJ2Fs/s1600-h/team+kit.jpg

There's a good cat. 3 racer here who says he'll wear this. Cracks me up. I told him that he had better get his 2 upgrade before he breaks that out.

Serious answer: wear anything you want as long as it's not a team jersey or any kind of national or world championship jersey.
that kit looks like someone begging for a libel suit.
doubt anything would come of it but...

as long as you're not wearing another team's kit you're fine.

#20 ·
I wear this all of the time around town, but I try to stay with solid colors when riding with others (including race)

In my own crazy head, I believe that crazy WV ******** will be less tempted to hit a cyclist with a bright beer jersey, compared to say.... a pink and baby blue WVU cycling jersey I saw last week >.>;;

#23 ·
weltyed said:

- lienine's jersey
- blue wool longsleeve

I would recomend this:

#25 ·
mmmmmmmmmmBeer

There is a team in Central New York that is sponsored by one of the best breweries in America. Brewery Ommegang sponsors a team and they put on a cyclocross race at the brewery every year.

They have really sweet kits in full belgian national colors(Ommegang brews Belgian style beers).

So, nothing wrong with a beer jersey. Wear what you like and have fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.