Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been running into these nagging hadaches after long rides. I eat and drink during the ride (1 cliff bar/ 2 bottles of Accelerade. I eat after the ride and down a recovery drink as well. I also do a good job of rehydrating after the ride.
So the only thing I can think it is would be my neck. These headaches seem to only be at the beginning of the season, and I am wondering if it is just the bouncing from the road going through my arms to my neck. I am looking for some help with it because the night after a long ride is painful due to these headaches. If I take a painkiller (Advil) the pain is gone.

Anyone have similar problems in the past/ present? Any help is greatly appriciated.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have a similar problem, especially on hot days. I don't know if it's because of my low body weight or what, but I lose electrolytes like nothing. During the ride I'm fine if I drink lots of accelerade and stuff, but many times after the ride I'll get these pounding headaches as well as other symptoms of electrolyte imbalance. This doesn't start right away and can sometimes take a few hours to manifest. If I'm feeling this way, I usually mix up a really concentrated mix of some energy drink (powerbar mix, since I got it cheap and it doesn't have that much sugar) and choke down the sludge. I feel way better after :D Of course I don't know if this is what's happening in your case.

·
BS the DC
1,426 Posts
Try a chiropractor.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually don't think that it is an issue with my back or neck. I am just grabbing at solutions. I will try to Electrolyte balance issue. It could be that I am just "spent". I am ahppy to hear that this happens to you not immediately after but a few hours later. That is exactly what happens to me. Usually 3-4 hours after the ride my head is pounding. I will try balancing things out after the next big ride and see how it goes.

·
Registered
176 Posts
cool down

It happens to me when I don't cool down enough. If i walk in the door breathing hard i am not supprised when I get a pounding headache about an hour later. Sometimes it is like people describe a migraine. I just make sure i cool down enough and it rarely happens now.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm interested by this also - I get them - especially if it's a hot ride. For me there's no real antidote except to stay well hydrated during the ride and it seems to help if I'm drinking sports drinks rather than straight water.

Sounds like an electrolyte imbalance here perhaps also.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great link!!! So today I did a fast paced 50 mile ride with a buddy. It was overcast and I really didn't drink that much "a bad habit I keep telling myself I will someday break". After the ride I had a Accelerade drink along with Endurox recovery drink and I am fine. I also got in a few rides this week and just paid real close attention to the recovery portion of the post-ride.
I haven't slept that good after a hard ride in months. Seriously... I slept like a baby!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I sometimes get the headaches in the beginning and towards the end of the season, but I have found that it is due in part to my sinsus problems. I notice more problems when the pressure in the air is unstable and quickly changing. I usually don't notice it during activity, but after when the endorphines calm down...oooh boy.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I started getting migraine headaches about 4 years ago. One of the triggers used to be hard cardio workouts. Not right after or during, late in the day evening.

I ready everything there is to read about exertional headaches and the only thing I found that related to me was that going hard too early can be one of the causes of exertional headches. Try for a longer warmp (say 20 minutes) before any type of hammering or high HR's.

I tried all that, plus hydration, eating etc. None of it seemed to do too much. I do stretch my neck now after rides (takes maybe 5-10 minutes just for neck) and I think it has helped s bit.

Lately my migraines have not been triggered by exercise but I haven't been getting too many these days. Mine come and go in cycles it seems.

Try a longer warmup.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've dealt with exertion (or what the article refers to as effort) headaches for years. For me they are the worse following high effort activity in high temps. Take one of those factors away and odds were lessened that I would get a headache, take both away and I never got them. I primarily run and bike and encountered headaches equally between the two activities. Another characterisitic of mine is that I sweat like I have spickets all over my body.

Given my perspiration issues I have always been careful to remain well hydrated, so I long ago ruled out dehydration as the sole cause. After varying a variety of factors I have come to believe that the headaches are mostly a function of electrolyte imbalance. As energy drinks have gotten better I have experimented with many brands. Presently what seems to work for me is cytomax during the workout and either Endurox or Cliff recovery drink after. The other supplement I have become to rely on is Hammer Gel E-caps. Using Cytomax and the recovery drinks alone didn't eliminate the headaches, but when I use the E-caps as recommended on the bottle they go away completely.

I'm not a doctor, so I can't tell you that what I do is medically sound, but it generally works for me. If you have determined that your problems revolve around electrolyte imbalance give E-caps a try and see if they help.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Experiment..

I was having pretty severe post ride headaches, too. I've deduced that one major contributing factor (for me) was the brand of recovery drink I was using. Breifly, before I started using any recovery drink mix, but was fairly dilligent about 're-fueling' after rides on actual food, I would get just an occaisional post-ride headache, but not often. Then, some doctor friend of mine suggested I'd benefit from using a recovery drink supplement. I did start and noted substantially less muscle pain and better overall training, but I also began having more headaches. I finally realized that these headaches had increased in frequency shortly after I'd begun with the recovery drink. Did some reading and decided it may be some kind of "Glyco-whatever" related issue, since the recovery drink was the only new thing in my training regime. Stopped the drink, headaches went, but I again had very sore, fatigued muscles. So, I tried using another brand of recovery drink, just experimenting around. Endurox this time, and this one doesn't seem to give me headaches..Could- be coincidence or some other factor. Definitly just a subjective example with a "data base" of just one person. I've now been training with this drink for about 6k miles and so far the headaches are gone. Worth a try..it could be some kinda metabolic cause. The body is very very complex. anyhow, that worked for me..
Don Hanson

·
Registered
96 Posts
c0braje7 said:
I have been running into these nagging hadaches after long rides. I eat and drink during the ride (1 cliff bar/ 2 bottles of Accelerade. I eat after the ride and down a recovery drink as well. I also do a good job of rehydrating after the ride.
So the only thing I can think it is would be my neck. These headaches seem to only be at the beginning of the season, and I am wondering if it is just the bouncing from the road going through my arms to my neck. I am looking for some help with it because the night after a long ride is painful due to these headaches. If I take a painkiller (Advil) the pain is gone.

Anyone have similar problems in the past/ present? Any help is greatly appriciated.

I have your same problem. I used Endurox for the first time this weekend. IT WORKED!! well, for me at least. normally i'd suffer after my weekend hard rides but after taking this i didn. I just mixed the correct amount right after my rides. No more headache. Yeah....i'm going to keep buying this stuff......

·
Registered
68 Posts
funny thing not really related but when i first started riding i used to get headaches towards the end of my ride. Happened the first two times i rode. Thought it was because of my eyes getting used to the new sunglasses so the next day i didnt wear them and still got a headache. Tried to think of some reasons why i was getting the headaches but couldnt think of a real good reason or a solution but thought i would try to loosen my helmet (bell). The next time out i didnt get one. Seems like it was too tight and was affecting me to the point of getting a headache.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.