Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
merckxman
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Cipollini Cannondale project moves slowly forward....

I have a full carbon 1 inch fork now. I was wondering if it was a bad idea to use a Cinelli Ti stem (like the one in photo attached), thinking that perhaps it's not good from a pressure distribution perspective with one bolt. ???? Thanks!

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,412 Posts
I wouldn't.......but then again, it might work fine..........or not.
If I had a nice stem like that, I would have made sure that I got a fork with an aluminum stearer.

·
Registered
813 Posts
maybe im lazy, but i would never use a stem without a faceplate again. theres been so many times, when ive built up a bike, go for a ride and realize that the stem's too long/short and because of the faceplate, i didnt have to unwrap the bar tap, take off the brake lever, wiggle the bar out....

faceplate = quick and easy.

but if you dont mind that....if you have an expander inside the fork, to press back on the stem, it shouldnt be an issue.

jeremy

·
Does it matter?
751 Posts
I had used a 3TTT forgie with one bolt on my carbon steerer, no problems with it. I'm thinking with one bolt the pressure would be spread out more evenly than with 2 if you didn't torque both bolts the same.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
jeremyb said:
maybe im lazy, but i would never use a stem without a faceplate again. theres been so many times, when ive built up a bike, go for a ride and realize that the stem's too long/short and because of the faceplate, i didnt have to unwrap the bar tap, take off the brake lever, wiggle the bar out....

faceplate = quick and easy.

but if you dont mind that....if you have an expander inside the fork, to press back on the stem, it shouldnt be an issue.

jeremy

I understand your point but face plate stems are just plain ugly. I would rather go for a ride or two with no tape.

I think the stem would be fine.

·
Registered
168 Posts
cannondale top cap

remember the top cap for your carbon steerer cannondale fork should extend about an inch down into the steerer tube specifically to prevent this problem. if you're using a different top cap then all bets are off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts